myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SUP SURFING IN LEWIS BAY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wavedawg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: SUP SURFING IN LEWIS BAY Reply with quote

I went paddling with Jay Peterson in Lewis Bay yesterday, with our goal to ride the ferry wakes hitting the sandbars on the edge of the channel. Finally scored a couple of rides, one of which was 100 ft +/- Slow-moving wave & flat-water bay made the ride seem kinda surreal, like it went on and on forever. Thinkin' I may be the first to ever surf a wave here!

Hadley made me take her for a spin a couple of days ago - maybe I'll take her back for a wave ride next time! Need to get back to my SUP roots at the Church sometime soon!

HADLEY.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.08 KB
 Viewed:  10993 Time(s)

HADLEY.JPG

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferry wakes are fun to ride, at Larkspur they get has high as shoulder high.
But SPID Texas, the channel from the Gulf to Harlingen, the freighters and tankers are allowed to go 15mph, causing a head high wave on a around 1000 foot wide manmade channel, and you can ride those waves with a shortboard, under 6', and actually turn off the bottom and top.
wavedawg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were out there a couple hrs after low tide, so waves were not very big. I will try closer to low tide next time, when better wave rides will be more likely.

BTW, HEADS UP ! ! ! The red stinging jellyfish are back in Lewis Bay, and probably much of the Cape south coast by now, one more incentive to nail your jibes or stay on your SUP!!!
jpeter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Good fun Reply with quote

Nice paddle Mike, we went out the next day for some windsurf lessons and Griffin did a duck gybe. Not that he knew he was doing a fancy move, just wanted to be on the other side of the sail and problem solved. Back to some basics like tacking and bearing off next.

JP
amarie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report! I actually used to do that, but not as successfully as you. I only did it on a windsurfer, and never on a completely calm day. I could get in about 3-4 gentle turns and then the "powerful" part of the wave would die down too much. What conditions did you find best? I was only able to make it work with the fast ferries (like the one pictured in your background). I had the most luck with the outbound ones, when they would cheat and gun the engines before the no wake buoy, and I would be loitering around the Kalmus side of the channel but offshore a ways and waiting for the wave to catch up. I don't remember the ideal tide but I do think it was on the low side. This was a few years ago and I've since had to get rid of the equipment I kept there due to no place to store it between visits. But sometimes I still stop and watch you guys.
Number-nine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Mike
Ferry wake rides can be fun.
Tough on the SUP it must be about 2 hours between sets.

Maybe add a jet ski and start on a calm day when they cross the Hy port jetty.

Or Outcasts boat.
Next time we have nothing to do?

I have had some nice rides on the windsurfer.
Need to be bold. But the best ride is the first or 2nd wave behind the Steamship slow boats. I have had a few on the off shore side of the incoming boat in SW wind. basically no wind power and all surfing. Can ride for 1-200 yards.

Boat crew is not too pleased as you are a few mast lengths off the back.

It is a lot easier to catch a few waves at Coast Guard

Killer tour www.http://internationalwindsurfingtour.com/

My Gear by
http://Goya windsurfing.com/sails/
http://quatrointernational.com/
https://chinooksailing.com/
wavedawg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ferries pass more frequently this time of year but, yes, we waited awhile for a good set of waves. From my windsurfing experience there, the best wakes occur when the fast ferries are just beginning to slow down as they approach the "no wake" zone, or when they are leaving port and powering up for planing speed. Either seems to work fine when the water is flat, but as Number-Nine points out, when the wind is blowing SW a good windsurfing ride can be had on the far side of the channel, especially when the large car ferries are returning to port. My never-ending ride was on the first wave of the car ferry heading out towards Nantucket, and it stood up right beneath me as it started to flow across the bar. I thought I would take the 2nd wave, but the 1st wanted me on it so I took the ride. As I said earlier, it was quite surreal riding a wave with a mile of flat water and no beach in front of me, heading WSW.

When we were there on Sat. afternoon there was a very light easterly breeze and about 2-3 hrs after low tide, with 4-5 ft of water on the bar. I'm pretty sure that the waves will break better closer to low tide, when there is about 2 ft of water over the bar.

Yes, I know the rides are more plentiful on the Nat'l Seashore beaches, but I already worked a full day off-Cape on Sat. and didn't have enough left to make that trek. It really was just something to do close to home on a lazy Sat. afternoon when I wanted to cool off a bit.

Number-Nine's jetski comment reminds me of Mike Burns(on a windsurfer) getting towed onto a plane by Number-Nine and pulling some nice flat water freestyle moves at the Kalmus Beach windsurfing event last Sept. Amazing the crazy things we can come up with while we're waiting for wind!!
WaterKook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Dawg
I don't think you can claim it.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ng2fsm0FI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: