myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Curse of "one more run"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windwiner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Curse of "one more run" Reply with quote

Sailed the access Wednesday morning 85lt, 4.7m, ebbing, warm water, all smiles. Classic Delta Day, was having a blast. I only had a couple of hours to spend on the water but after coming in to check the time and hydrate, I decided to go out for one last blast, "just one more good air" I told myself. As luck would have it I got my air but landed badly and broke my ankle.
I'm writing this to say thank you to Peter (I think) and the other guy who carried me out of the water, as well as the rest of the crew who gave me water, ibuprofen, iced my foot and provided blankets until the ambulance arrived. Thanks also to the guy who carried my gear in and de-rigged it and for whoever moved my car into the park for me. Thanks to everyone, sorry I don't know your names. We have a good crew of people we share the water with. I had to have surgery, nine screws and a metal plate are now in my ankle, three months of no weight on my ankle. See you back out there next year, beers will be on me.
jse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Curse of "one more run" Reply with quote

windwiner wrote:
Sailed the access Wednesday morning 85lt, 4.7m, ebbing, warm water, all smiles. Classic Delta Day, was having a blast. I only had a couple of hours to spend on the water but after coming in to check the time and hydrate, I decided to go out for one last blast, "just one more good air" I told myself. As luck would have it I got my air but landed badly and broke my ankle.
I'm writing this to say thank you to Peter (I think) and the other guy who carried me out of the water, as well as the rest of the crew who gave me water, ibuprofen, iced my foot and provided blankets until the ambulance arrived. Thanks also to the guy who carried my gear in and de-rigged it and for whoever moved my car into the park for me. Thanks to everyone, sorry I don't know your names. We have a good crew of people we share the water with. I had to have surgery, nine screws and a metal plate are now in my ankle, three months of no weight on my ankle. See you back out there next year, beers will be on me.

Ugh. So sorry to hear that. I sail the Access a lot - been there the last 3 weekends in my A-Frame trailer, parked near the cow pasture. I don't know you by "windwiner" but I'm sure we crossed paths. Take care. I always drink lots of Comfrey tea for a broken bone.

Steve
MCDORO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had surgery on my left ankle last October for a windsurfing accident.
Advice: Do NOT push your recovery. Stay off of it for as long as the Doc says.
Do Not, "test" it by hopping or a short staggered run. This is all especially true if you are 30+ Your bones heal quickly, the tendons and ligaments don't, and that is the problem. Good luck.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major bummer, windwiner. Hope you make a full recovery. Can you describe what happened to your ankle? As a person who has wrecked my ankles many times (and has had ankle surgery) I just wonder what type of injury you suffered. Sounds major. Glad there were people there to help!
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a clinic with Wyatt Miller, where he advocated loose footstraps (espeically if you're doing freestyle), I went from slightly snug footstraps to really loose, and it's definitely saved me from foot/ankle injuries. Not sure it would have made any difference in your accident, but it's something to consider.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that really sucks. There is really something about that one last run, I once broke my leg on the last run down the mountain skiing. We're a bit fatigued and we let it all loose on the last run, bad combo apparently Sad
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
I once broke my leg on the last run down the mountain skiing. (

Isn't that like finding something the last place you look?
sergem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Curse of "one more run" Reply with quote

windwiner wrote:
... I had to have surgery, nine screws and a metal plate are now in my ankle, three months of no weight on my ankle. See you back out there next year, beers will be on me.

Ouch! Get well soon!
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"one last"......

beer, martini, cookie, piece of pie, meatball, egg roll, mile, etc.

seems whatever begins with the phrase "one last" is usually not a good idea.
dlyonnais

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windwiner,

The 2 guys that pulled you out of the water one of them was Peter thats the guy that swam out to rescue you and got your car and gear back in it. the guy who derig your sail was Dave.They have good people @ sherman your lucky.

Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: