myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RRD firemove 112 vs Exocet X Cross 115 for lightweight
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joepring

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: RRD firemove 112 vs Exocet X Cross 115 for lightweight Reply with quote

All -

I've read all the threads on these boards and couldn't quite get the answer I'm looking for. I'm 140lbs, advanced sailor, sail in 12-25 kts in flat water, chesapeake bay chop, and open ocean. Looking for a light wind board that pairs nicely with my 7.5 and can handle my 6.0 when the wind picks up.

I'm curious how these two might compare for me in terms of how quick to plane in marginal winds, how comfortable / controllable they'd be in chop, and whether one would be easier and more forgiving for gybing. Lastly, I'm thinking about the wood construction for the RRD and am wondering whether there'd be significant durability vs the xcross bamboo / carbon construction.

thanks!
AG80

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Exocet x-cross 115 and am 180 lbs. I use the board in the same conditions you are quoting and it will plane in 12-13 knots with a 7.5 for me. I have used the board with a 5.0 and had no difficulty in the chop. Durability has not been an issue. I bought the board after it was used in a rental fleet for a year and it only had some minor paint dings. No repairs.

I have ridden a friend's RRD firemove 110 and the boards are very similar. I would say the x-cross jibes a little better. Either board would be a good purchase.

I have also ridden the Fanatic Gecko 105 and 120. The 105 l would work well with your weight. The Gecko has a flatter rocker and feels a little faster. (Only a subjective feel, no data).

Hope this helps
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider the 2014 Starboard Atom IQ 110. I have this board and it just does everything really good. At your body weight, I would not go any bigger. The Atom has one big advantage over the RRD Fire move. Tail cut outs. I have friends with the RRD so I have ridden both boards. The cuts give the board two speeds. It gets going on the wide part of the board very early but its not that fast, feels like it wants to kind of plow and head up wind. Just like the RRD. Once the board gets up to speed and rides on the tail cut outs it gets super fast, lite on the water and the width all but goes away. Its like 2 different boards. Now I know why all the high speed race boards have cut outs. Both boards turn really good. I also have the 2014 Tabou 3s 96 liter. It has double tail cut outs. Looks a bit strange but its by fair the most fun you can have on a board. Check out any review of this board. One last thought, The Rocket 115 is an all time great board. I have had them, friends ride them and every where I go I see them. Everybody loves them. Just an all round great freeride board. At you body weight, you don't really need a super wide board to get going. For you the ride will be much better than the RRD. Try to get a ride on the Atom or the Rocket before you buy......
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Also consider the 2014 Starboard Atom IQ 110. I have this board and it just does everything really good. At your body weight, I would not go any bigger. The Atom has one big advantage over the RRD Fire move. Tail cut outs. I have friends with the RRD so I have ridden both boards. The cuts give the board two speeds. It gets going on the wide part of the board very early but its not that fast, feels like it wants to kind of plow and head up wind. Just like the RRD. Once the board gets up to speed and rides on the tail cut outs it gets super fast, lite on the water and the width all but goes away. Its like 2 different boards. Now I know why all the high speed race boards have cut outs. Both boards turn really good. I also have the 2014 Tabou 3s 96 liter. It has double tail cut outs. Looks a bit strange but its by fair the most fun you can have on a board. Check out any review of this board. One last thought, The Rocket 115 is an all time great board. I have had them, friends ride them and every where I go I see them. Everybody loves them. Just an all round great freeride board. At you body weight, you don't really need a super wide board to get going. For you the ride will be much better than the RRD. Try to get a ride on the Atom or the Rocket before you buy......

Very good post.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've ridden both boards the OP asked about. if your bias is flat water blasting go with the RRD. keep in mind its width will force you to keep the power on and the arcs tight to plane thru gibes.

the cross 114 is a bit better for an all around board. plus it's smooth. its length and not too wide shape will allow more glide thru the gibes and a better bottom turn in waves. also, if you have to slog, at times, thru the impact zone, the extra length will allow a more stable platform, fore and aft.

the most recent rockets look better than the older ones. in light wind applications having lots of concave so far aft may provide lit up comfort and control but comes with a very high price of poor early planing and sucky top end speeds.

as boards evolved they have become shorter and wider. maybe too short for anything other than perfectly lit up conditions? i've ridden lots of boards and the short and wide thing has its own set of problems. one must apply far more power to keep them planing when sailing in less than perfect conditions. yes, they may provide an easier "dry gibe," but if planing gibes are what you are after, then they require and different skill set....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
faller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh please do consider the Starboard AtomIQ 110. It is fantastic on flat water and has taken the place of 2, if not 3, boards that I have/had in my quiver. Excellent ride, lots of early get up and go. I've used it with 7.5 down to 5.5 with great results.
joepring

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, really helpful. One more question, on the RRD, The e-tech construction is only a pound heavier vs wood and several hundred dollars cheaper (and more durable). Is wood construction enough better to make it worth it? Couldnt I just put the money I save towards a gym membership and lose that pound off my midsection?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E-tec boards are very heavy. These type of boards are big for their volume and tend to be heavy anyway. I think the wood or the ltd would be the way to go. The Rocket 115 CED construction is a really nice way to go also.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this construction may be what you are looking for?

BTW, width and length may be more important than liters at this stage of board comparisons.

currently available exocets that would go head to head with the FM are more volume: S-Cross 126 would be a better one to think of. the cross 114 is definitely a more versatile board for multiple app's and venues than either the FM or S-Cross 126.

the S-Cross 126 is one of the best 7.5 to 6.5 boards i've ever ridden. planes well, turns easy, goes fast.

http://www.exocet-original.com/scross-silver.php

the X-Cross 115 was meant to be a wave cross over. it does so successfully in only a side off condition with ample sail power. when lit, it does turn very well.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faller wrote:
oh please do consider the Starboard AtomIQ 110. It is fantastic on flat water and has taken the place of 2, if not 3, boards that I have/had in my quiver. Excellent ride, lots of early get up and go. I've used it with 7.5 down to 5.5 with great results.

They are now available in Powebox, if it was an excuse to not consider Starboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: