myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ode to the Bay...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Georges

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Ode to the Bay... Reply with quote

All of my post are being removed due to a lack of response from the moderators of this forum.... Thank you to all who enjoy them..Gman.

Last edited by Georges on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Sunset District since 1957....
Sailed the bay first on a 9' Seatrend poly glass in 1983.
Spent half my time at Crissy/Oyster/Tigers/Larkspur, and half at HMB, Gazo's, Wads, and Scotts.
Rode the bay from '86 thru '91, then PaloMarin, Limantour, Agate, Stinson and some bay sailing till '95, then back to the bay till now.
Tomorrow is a new day, but fog is in on the coast, so more bay sailing.
BRIMAR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

\w/-_-\w/
churan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just spent some time back east. Charlotte, Charleston, Asheville, Boone.
Even hurricane Arthur could barely make for sailable conditions. Hot humid and stagnant. Every day. My take away was this. It is not just that it is windy and great here but that it is quite stagnant and miserable everywhere else. If you are ever sick of your job, commute or cost of living just go back east for a spell, it reminds me why I moved. EX: plan for the day? rio is on already, but coast will be on soon, could mountain bike then surf then sail when the wind comes up. options lots of options. Enjoy the bay.
airwave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@churan,

I'm from NC and spent 15 years chasing storm fronts to Charleston, Wilmington, and Hatteras. Spring and Fall those places can offer up awesome winds and some waves too. After that I then spent three years in Orange County chasing wind up the coast and finally settled by the Bay. For ten more years now I still chase wind and in some ways its even harder due to the traffic.

But, once I get to a location I am almost 100% assured of a sailing a 5.0 or under session for 4-5 days per week, 6 month out of the year, which cannot be done anywhere else other than the Bay, at least on this continent.

Now if I can just find a way to sail Oct and Nov on Hatteras, March in Charleston, and the rest of the time right here. Not sure what to do about Dec, Jan, Feb. Maybe Baja. Then things might be OK.
Georges

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban beauty Smile

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.23 KB
 Viewed:  18549 Time(s)

image.jpg

beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little piece and photo! I have family/friends ask where are you going to sail? I say wherever the wind is today and they respond; Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot. then I get in and drive... just part of it.
Georges

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty spoiled. I can walk a block from my house, look down Dwight way and see the sails at Berkeley Marina.
jmblaney

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: How to avoid windsurfing withdrawal during fall/winter Reply with quote

"Now if I can just find a way to sail Oct and Nov on Hatteras, March in Charleston, and the rest of the time right here. Not sure what to do about Dec, Jan, Feb. Maybe Baja. Then things might be OK."

Try Lake Arenal, Costa Rica. The wind turns on around Thanksgiving and blows almost non-stop through late March. I've gone every winter since 1992. Best time is typically late January-early February. My typical sail size at Arenal is about 4.0; but conditions vary from 3.0-5.5. On the occasional light day, there's lots of other stuff to see and do. Conditions are usually port tack chop and small swells (similar to Coyote on the outside); it smooths out when it blows over 35. Check out TicoWind.

For comparison, my typical sail size on the Bay is 4.4-5.0; I usually sail Coyote/TI/Sherman (wherever it's windiest).

P1020454.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.05 MB
 Viewed:  18312 Time(s)

P1020454.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: