myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy Sunday 25 Rescues?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Crissy Sunday 25 Rescues? Reply with quote

What happened? Article says Coast Guard rescued 25 kiters and windsurfers . . .

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_26144934/u-s-coast-guard-crew-from-san-francisco?source=JBarTicker
koogzah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have posted elsewhere, If there is enough interest from Crissy sailors, we could look into organizing a Slog Basics Camp at Treasure Island. TI is home to some world class athletes who can sustain a knee-deep slog on a low-volume wave board for as long as it takes to get back home. And they are more than happy to share their knowledge and feed your slog-stoke. Cool
Riptide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind changed direction to SSW causing a wind shadow on the Crissy field side of the bay with light off shore wind combined with a strong ebb current .

If you were still in the wind up at the north tower, you could sail down to yellow bluff and then come in low which many did. Those in the middle up wind and inside were out of luck. ebbing out.

Basically a September shut down in July. Beware monsoonal weather with a thermal trough on the coast. Fluky wind today and through the week. If you see mid-high level clouds chances are winds could be up/down or unpredictable/shifty.

Seems like Fall is coming early this year.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would have happened if the Coast Guard wasnt on duty, at the North Tower?
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the rescued sailors write the Coast Guard with a thank you for getting them out of a possibly lethal situation.
I was picked up by the Coast Guard after breaking a mast off Crissy about 20+ years ago (be glad the tie-on front end era is long gone)
It was a 5.0 day with a 3 knot flood. My next stop was going to be TI if I was lucky. Coast Guard may well have saved my life.

Please let them know how much we appreciate their commitment to looking out for us.
mthompson156

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I slogged and swam my way back around 4ish or so, a bunch of others were rigging at that point and looking to head to the north tower, glad I bagged it when I did. It was right on the edge of being problematic at that time, I was kind of surprised so many people ventured out.

To your point about slogging through anything, I think the issue is more that even if you can make progress laterally, the current is still going to drag you. If you are near the north tower in an ebb and try to do a super-slow slog all the way across, there is no way you are making it all the way down to Crissy. Baker Beach is more likely. I have always figured if it shut off 100% to glass I would just go the other way to Marin and walk back home to the Presidio from there, then drive to fetch my gear. Not ideal but I don't like the idea of relying on a rescue boat as the only option in a real bad scenario.

It's the tanker ships that would worry me more than anything. I can deal with paddling a mile+ if need be, but I would not want to be floundering around out there in the shipping lane if one of those things was approaching...

Glad everyone made it back one way or another. I looked out the window when I got home and saw multiple kites in the water around the Presidio Flats, was immediately concerned about the others who were further out.

Matt
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind was flukey all afternoon and then shut down really quick on the inside. A bunch of us sat on the beach waiting for the wind to fill in like it did the previous day and then called the coast guard when things started to unfold.

I sail Crissy 50+ days a year and have fortunately avoided getting picked up by the Coast Guard in 17+ years of sailing there. I wear a thick wetsuit, carry a radio, and replace gear long before it wears out. Most importantly, I sail within my comfort zone. If the wind line is really far from shore, I don't go out. Period.

A lot of people who got picked up are Crissy regulars so the shut down happened really fast and caught people by surprise. Those same folks have shlogged halfway across the bay without issues in the past. That said, the kiter wearing the shorty who spent almost an hour in the water and the old guy with the blue helmet who launched while this rescue was already well underway and who then proceeded to come back on the Coast Guard cutter really need to get their heads examined.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
What would have happened if the Coast Guard wasnt on duty, at the North Tower?

WHEN I WAS A YOUNG MAN (feebly voice) We would all chip in and help rescue the dudes! It might have meant going to the Yacht Club and breaking up a game of Bridge.... Laughing

This sounds like monumental nonsense. The tide you guys have are serious business and should be heeded.
rpaillon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: What Happened at TI? Reply with quote

I was at TI yesterday when about four people went out. The graph shows the wind died pretty abruptly there. Did anyone have to be rescued from the Blunt Point area?
victor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>It's the tanker ships that would worry me more than anything

i ended up in the water downwind of a huge inbound tanker once. it was quite a ways off so i wasn't too worried. those things are like a block wide and create quite a wind shadow so i couldn't waterstart. no matter how hard i swam as it came closer it still looked like the bow was going to cut me in half.

i started thinking about my family and lack of life insurance.

when it was within about 50 feet i ditched my gear and swam harder. like a miracle the bow wake picked me and my gear up and just pushed me aside.

if you think they look big from the beach you should see one up close from water level. as the vessel glided by me a couple of crew members waved nonchalantly from the bridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: