myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sherman Island second Board question??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waitinSD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve also been getting some great sessions at SI. Have a very similar range of Tigers. Since I have a van I carry all my boards (4) but could do SI and the rest of the Bay with 2: 85l FSW covers 4.2 -5.2 and 105l older wave board 4.7-5.8. Also change fin depending on sail size and tide. So far this season I’ve been rag dolled off the water 3 times on the 85l/4.2… guess you’ll need a 3rd board… and a smaller sail… and a van… and...
bert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey buddy.., if you can find a recent model 80L Realwind trifin and sail it at the Delta in >20 mph winds, you will feel that you have died and gone to heaven. The board is narrow yet surprising floaty and can handle anything the Delta or the Bay can challenge you with. Jibing the board is almost orgasmic if you know what I mean.. losing 5 to 10 lbs wouldn't hurt either..just throwin' out there amigo Cool
hitech

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are on the right track in board selection for Sherman. I weigh 170 and use a 94liter and 77 liter as my two boards for Sherman. You might even be surprised that your 6 meter sail can easily work with the 80liter choice as I use my 5.8meter on the 77 liter on lite ebb conditions. With Sherman conditions changing at the drop of a hat, you can jump between boards or sails as the conditions warrant. A good selection of fins can give you even more flexibility as the tides change.
Good luck.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georges wrote:
Open ocean there is no better high wind board made IMHO.

+1

peter19u

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well losing weight is out of the question since I am 6'2" so maybe I need to look for a 80L Realwind trifin! Still debating between the 80L Pocketwave and the 2013 86L 2013 RRD Freestyle Wave X-Tech or maybe I'll keep looking! Is there another board in the used section of iwindsurf.com that would work. I'd like a new board but they are pretty pricey!
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been carrying two boards for years and weigh about the same as you. A 95L board for light wind days and an 80L wave board for when it was really cranking. The problem with the 80L board was that it really needed to be blowing to make it work, otherwise I either couldn't get planing or worse, couldn't get it shlogging.

I just recently replaced the 80L with an 85L and I am using the small board a lot more. As others have indicated, there will be a handful of days you will want a small board but there will be so many more 4.5 type days where the 85L will carry you through the lulls. You may want to look at something that has a tri-fin type setup (like the Pocket Wave) as this will tend to give the 85L better control when the wind gets really strong.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter19u wrote:
Well losing weight is out of the question since I am 6'2" so maybe I need to look for a 80L Realwind trifin! Still debating between the 80L Pocketwave and the 2013 86L 2013 RRD Freestyle Wave X-Tech or maybe I'll keep looking! Is there another board in the used section of iwindsurf.com that would work. I'd like a new board but they are pretty pricey!

I swapped out my 85 liter freewave for a 80 (says 82 but it is 80) Realwind Fish last year. I love it and it is great in the Gorge. BUT on up and down days, I have had some tough times when the wind drops down because of the loss of the 6 liters of float. I make do and some times sail my 99 liter freestyle with a small sail to compromise (makes for a rough ride in those conditions).

So unless you have a van, and lots of money it will be a compromise with 2 boards. Try to pick the board that fits the range you will use the most. Much more enjoyment that way. Then save a few bucks, come up to the Gorge and pick up a third board Cool Such as the consignment at Big Winds or Windance (you can order online and they ship if you can't visit). Fairly new boards in good condition for $600 range....
peter19u

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I want to stick with 2 boards seems like an 85l would work best. If I get a tri fin board maybe I could use the single fin in 4.5 to 5.2 conditions and the tri fin when it's 4.0 conditions. Can anyone recommend a 85l board for Sherman to compliment my 973S. Second winds Maui has a used RSD freestyle x wave. 84l I'd like to buy used but would consider new. Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it. Pete
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windance has 16 boards between 83 and 87 liters on consignment. If you can find a B or B+ condition board it should be in pretty good shape. I sold a board only used a few times and it was considered B+ condition. "A" condition are new boards there. So don't let the B condition scare you Smile

Big winds has a 2013 Quatro 85 liter board for $999.

I keep saying, there are some good deals up here. And they do ship if you don't want to drive......

If you aren't looking for a specialty board anything in the freestyle wave style works well in the mid 80 liter range. Although as always a demo is a good idea....
peter19u

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. Second Winds has a new 2013 84L RRD Freestyle Wave X-Tech board on sale. Would this board work well at Sherman or should I be looking for a Pocketwave, Exocet X-Wave, Starboard Kode. or Quatro? Or are they all pretty similar. so many damn choices. Thanks again, Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: