myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sherman Island second Board question??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter19u

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Sherman Island second Board question?? Reply with quote

So I just got back into windsurfing and picked up a used Tabou 3S 97 liter board. I'm now looking for a used second smaller board. I weight 180lbs and sail Sherman Island exclusively. I have 4.0, 4.5, 5.2 and 6.0 Ezzy Tiger sails. I see that there are 75l, 80l, 85l Tabou Pocketwave boards in the used section. Which size do you think would suit me best for Sherman Island if I want to stick with 2 boards. I'd like something I could use with my 4.0 and 4.5 sails when my 97l board is too big. Could I also use my 5.2 sail with any of these smaller boards? Are there any other boards in the used section that may work better than the Pocketwave boards at Sherman Island. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Pete
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman Island second Board question?? Reply with quote

peter19u wrote:
Could I also use my 5.2 sail with any of these smaller boards?

Absolutely. I've thoroughly enjoyed 5.2s for decades with countless B&J and wave boards from 65-75 liters (at 180+ pounds), including at Sherman.
Georges

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open ocean there is no better high wind board made IMHO.
peter19u

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. So based on my weight and the fact that I have a 97L board would I be best of going for a 75 80 or 85L second board for Sherman? Thanks
sinusoidal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on type of board, fin setup, year of board, etc. Borrow or demo a board and see how that works for your style of sailing. Then tell us what you tried and the results. Stoked to hear you are back into sailing.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest 80 liters, because it can be viewed as a more universal high wind board. As many of us know, SI can have its holes, and with the possibilities of flood tides in the mix, a bit of volume can be your friend.

Regarding Open Oceans, I've been using them since 1992, and the 80 liter size at about 21.5" wide can easily handle almost anything that SI can offer.
peter19u

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. There is a used 80L Pocketwave board that I am considering. I think that and the 97S would cover most conditions at Sherman. Now all I can think about is sailing and I'm always checking the wind conditions. Just like back in the late 80's and early 90's but back them I had a beeper and now I have an app! God I love this sport along with all the nice people I've met at Sherman! Did my first morning session at Sherman and it was an incredible experience. Nothing like sailing after the sun has just come up. Life is good.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter19u wrote:
would I be best of going for a 75 80 or 85L second board for Sherman? Thanks

SO much depends on how you want and expect to sail.
Rig big and blast, or rig small and milk the wind?
Straight lines or constant carving?
Air time or hug the water?
Wander all over between the Park and Power Lines or mostly beam reach?

All that aside, the 85 to 97 gap is distinct, but not BIG. You'd generally get more overall range, without a hole in the middle, with an 80. It would be at ease with anything from 4.0 to 5.7 conditions once you get used to it ... at least by older board standards (I'd strongly prefer certain, slightly gunnier, pre-2008 wave boards for Sherman's rather discombobulated terrain). The 75 would be better when hammered on that 4.0 and the 85 would be better when on the 6.0 in fading wind, but I suspect that any of those "second boards" will quickly be promoted to First Board any time you have steady and trustworthy power with your 5.2 or smaller.

I have MANY wave boards from 65 to 96 liters, and I go over 90L only when necessary to handle EXTREMELY holey wind, rapidly dying wind, or steady wind barely strong enough to use a 6.2 w/96L. Anything better and I pretty quickly drop to 80L. OTOH, you get ebb tides (comparable to Gorge east winds) I very seldom sail; extra volume is very reassuring in those conditions.

That 80 surely sounds like a jack-of-all-trades, but then your local guys trump my very limited Sherman experience and my preference for gunnier wave boards.

And, oh yeah ... why wait 'til the sun comes up? I LOVE being on the water as soon as I can see well enough to avoid hitting shore. THAT's Dawn Patrol!
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are thinking about a 75 or 80 liter board as your second (high wind) board, I would recommend trying it first. That small of a board will be tough to slog, tough to get going among other things in the winds that your 97 l is too much for. Almost a 20 liter spread. That is pretty big. And despite what some may say, you may NOT like the tiny board and big sail when the wind is up and down. A larger board is easier to move when slogging or slightly powered. I prefer a larger board smaller sail combo. I tend to be planing when others aren't. That being said I've seen Bruce P. and Dale C. RIPPING on big sails small boards (granted CUSTOM slalom style boards). So it really is a personal choice.

The delta may have some nuking days when you will want a 75 or maybe an 80 liter board, but I think the 85 might be a better match to your other board over all. I used to sail 4.2 to 5.2 on my 85 liter freewave all the time in the bay and delta and we are similar in weight.

Try to pick a board that will suit you best overall. You will enjoy it more. If it's overpowered 4.0 conditions, you probably won't like the 85 but then again how many of those days do you expect to see? More likely you will see the 4.5 to 5.0 conditions at the Delta.

That being said, I did get totally blown off the water on a 3.7 and a glass 70 something liter board at the delta. ONCE. One time. But I can't tell you how many times I was on a 85 or a 100 liter board.......
peter19u

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. Well the 85L Pocketwave board is sold but the 80L Pocketwave is still available. I would use it primarily with my 4.5 and 4.0 sail. It is wide for a 80L board at 58.5cn so could I use it with the 5.2 in solid conditions or should I hold out for a 85L board or use the 80L for the 4.0 and 4.5 sail and then use the 97L for the 5.2 and 6.0. Thx, Pete

Wish I could try them out first but but not sure that's an option. Looks like the is a used 2013 86L 2013 RRD Freestyle Wave X-Tech at Second Wind Maui for sale. Would that be a better option than the 80L Pocketwave. Thx, Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: