myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
traffic safety

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: traffic safety Reply with quote

Just curious, how you guys and gals avoid collisions at hight traffic venues, specifically while free riding? It seems the sailing rights of way would be useless if multiple (starboard) riders are closing in on you at high speed.

Is it customary for all riders to define a line and just hold it, screaming by each other? How does that work?

Also, before gybing is just looking for the clear good enough?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: traffic safety Reply with quote

Sometimes things do get a little tense where I usually sail.

I just give way early (and look out way in front of me rather than staring at the water in front of the nose of my board, or staring at my foot straps while jibing), unless, I'm riding a tastey swell, then I just turn away before the collision.

I'm typically not running a straight line, but if I am, I'll probably hold
course on starboard.

Once in a while when it's just too tight, you just have to do a controlled ditch.

I almost always look all (head on a swivel) around before I jibe.

The best defense is to sail away from everybody else, it's kind of
amazingly weird that most salors just BAF from their launch site.

-Craig

bluefish1 wrote:
Just curious, how you guys and gals avoid collisions at hight traffic venues, specifically while free riding? It seems the sailing rights of way would be useless if multiple (starboard) riders are closing in on you at high speed.

Is it customary for all riders to define a line and just hold it, screaming by each other? How does that work?

Also, before gybing is just looking for the clear good enough?
westender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sailors who are in control will avoid the sailors who are out of control no matter the ROW.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeriding is a bit easier because normally people won't have to cut through people's ways. I try to steer upwind well before the rider in front is coming especially with kites struggling to get wind.

I avoid riding in their blind spot, if I do either I'm going much faster or prepared to jibe or squeeze upwind sharply. I try to listen to board noise and can tell by the current traffic where people are or could be.

Despite all of this I got hit by a kite board, and nearly hit by a windsurfer, a kite and kite boarder lines... some of which are in my videos. Each time I was... slogging!

On a wave though, I'm ready to kill and grind my teeth when someone behind me is blocking my frontside by either not going frontside themselves or not clearing downwind, grrrrr!

Really though, I'm fine with it, everyone is out there having fun, no one is trying to purposefully hurt someone or be in someone's way. HD sails can have really Poor visibility back-lit, some people's personal space notions can be different and experts can enjoy showing off their new trick!

Most of the time when conditions get good (> 20 knots & 1.8m+ with decent period) it helps to clear the spot.

I hear people whistle sometimes or shout out. Some people like to do this when a big wave comes by. I kinda like it.

J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So starboard tack rules may not apply in these situations and common sense is better? What if i'm on starboard and 3 leeward guys are closing in at high speed? I'm assuming busy place like the gorge, canadian hole, worldwinds or bonaire this happens.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing I almost never have a problem, SUPing is a LOT worse.

Windsurfing in crowded spots I just remind myself of the starboard tack right of way. This is pretty well known and I find the windsurfing community a lot friendlier than in other venues and we usually have a friendly smile to exchange even on the close encounters. Looking over your shoulder before the jybe is always a good habit to get into.

In all instances with other windsurfers, kiters or powerboats, some great advice I got was know the starboard tack rules but NEVER insist on them, no point in being 'dead' right.

DC
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are also on starboard tack then I'd avoid them as I am likely in their blind spot. If they are on port I'd pinch up wind early clearly indicating my change of direction. Sure, I'm giving up my "right of way" but I feel it is easier for me to make a decision then expect the three independent sailors to act in unison.

Stated earlier by Craig. If really crowded I just sail up or down wind of the crowd & find open space.

The most difficult collision setup for me is on crowded windy days when I'm sailing formula gear. Pinching up wind is not so much a problem because they can easily see me, the problem is when dropping in on the lines of windsurfers or kiters at warp speed from upwind. I'm in their blind spot, they all have right of way and I'm the least maneuverable board on the water. A recipe for disaster that I try to avoid at all costs.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Starboard"? "Straight lines"? "ROW"? "Look first"? How does any of that work when there are a hundred people of five different skill levels sailing in 40 different directions in one small bunch of swell within mere feet of each other?

Go kick a busy, sandy ant hill. That's the Hatchery on a windy summer day. Rules are all but useless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: