myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard WindSUP Freeride
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Went out today in 12 to 13mph, was planing about 70% of the time with my 7.5 Ezzy Freeride and a 130 liter Freeride board from Naish.

Wondering if I had the Starboard or Excocet WindSUP would I have been planing 100% of the time.

Went through your post a second time. What size fin are you using on the freeride board? One issue I found with my SUP was that it uses a US box so the biggest fin I can use in it is a 15" true ames slalom. I currently have a 12.5" True Ames slalom fin plus two side biters. The biggest sail I can use is 8.0m with that combo. The biggest sail I can use is a 6.0 without the side biters. The side biters are toed in so cause some drag. I'm guessing that if I got the 15" I could dispense with the side biters and keep the 8m, but I haven't tried it because I got a formula board.

The board you're looking at is a single fin and I'm guessing it's also a US box. If so, you're probably limited to a 7.0 - 8.0 m sail just like my SUP. So would that WindSUP plane earlier than a 130 liter freeride using the same sized sail? Tough call.

If your freeride board has a tuttle box and your goal is to plane 100% of the time, couldn't you use a bigger sail and fin?
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people here would agree with me that calling the board "windsup planing" is sort of deceptive advertising, yeah, it "can" plane but the shape of the board is not specifically for planing or early planing as you need. It's like advertising an SUV as good for hauling, yeah it can haul stuff but that's not what it's really designed for, it does it as a side benefit. Get a truck or big van for hauling.
Compared to most other typical SUP's it's a great planer, I think this is what they are trying to convey. Kind of like saying I'm really smart, compared to the rest of the people in my family LOL
Zirtaeb is your size in similar conditions he could guide you but I would think you need a racier freeride board probably up to 150 liters or so for when it's light as you describe then you can use the 130L when it's a bit windier. What size fin are you using? maybe you just need a bigger more upright fin, but putting a big fin in a standard surfboard finbox is asking for trouble.
The specific problem with the quick rig sail/boom is when it's windy enough to plane the sail will be unstable and the boom too flexy.
Isn't there plenty of depth there? I never sailed it but I swam around and it seemed like a sandy bottom.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't there plenty of depth there? I never sailed it but I swam around and it seemed like a sandy bottom.

Depending on where you go, there's the shore break you have to deal with as well as coral heads here and there that may only have a few feet of water over them. I used to know where the worst / shallowest spots were but if I wasn't paying attention I'd get a surprise. Not nearly as bad as Mokes, but there are some spots.

Folks here in San Diego are experts on lightwind sailing. Most have formula boards. Guys in the 150-160 lbs range are typically on 8.6-9.5 sails, 70cm fins and planing in 10-12 mph. Using a 70 cm fin in Kailua bay would be iffy. Maybe a 50 cm?
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what size fin. It came with the board and I have never put another one on.

I think the Formula does not work well in Kailua as I have never seen anyone sail one here. I assume it is too choppy and like you mentioned the fin goes too deep.

I agree today I would have been better off on a 150 liter but that is probably not steady for an SUP in choppy water.

For now I guess I won't spend my money on a new board until I am comfortable I am getting something that is worth the money.

I think these quick rigging sails by Aerotech and Starboard are great ideas, but just like the boards, they need to be marketed better.

There is an explosion of SUP boards being sold. SUP users don't want to figure out how to rig a nice Ezzy sail, it is too technical with too many adjustments.

However, if they have a choice of paddling or within 30 seconds throwing a easy to use sail on the board, if there is a bit of wind they might choose the sail. They will go about 10 times faster, even without planing, and probably catch more waves too, if that is what their goal is.

Hopefully manufacturers will realize people don't want to buy expensive equipment without really understanding how it will work for them, and because they can't go to a local shop to demo it, the next best option is YouTube videos that really dive deep into what the equipment can do.

Starboard has a 4 minute video on YouTube on the Freeride WindSUP and the Quick sail, and they never actually put the board in the water.

A good video should give the riders weight, the sail size & type, the exact board being used, the wind speed, etc.

Then we might be sold because we see a rider around our weight, with that sail, having some serious fun at a wind strength we can relate to. That would convince us to buy the kit.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GRGdzZAwLY

1 minute 18 seconds

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you been windsurfing Kailua? Have you met any of the old timers there and asked them their opinions on light air gear? I know the main launch area used to be by the boat ramp and the crew was fairly friendly. They might steer you or at least let you what the max fin size you can go with is.

I'm with BeagleBuddy, I think the WindSUP claims are mostly advertising hype. I suspect the models you're looking at probably jump up on a plane faster than most SUPs, but I doubt they've found some magic that somehow overcomes basic physics. If you want to plane in lighter air, you'll need a bigger sail. If you want to go forwards instead of sideways, you'll need more fin (maybe wider instead of deeper?). I don't think there's any way around it.

When I first saw these "quick" windsurfing rigs my reaction was, "jeesh, they're selling the same gear we used back in the 70's all over again". Before I spent money on one of those rigs, I'd scour craigslist for a couple weeks. I recently picked up 3 sails, 2 masts, and 2 booms used for about $300. I bet if I didn't "wala au" with other windsurfers, I could probably rig and tune a sail in maybe 2 or 3 minutes.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soft sails not meant for planing.

my best early planing kit for waves is exocet windSUP 11'8" with a 7.5 aerotech phantom. sometimes, if the waves are very small, i will use a 9.0 freespeed.

if the waves are big, wind is 10mph +, i use the carbon 11'5" kona/curve with a 6.8 phantom

patriceb_kona_115droppingin.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  276.3 KB
 Viewed:  17931 Time(s)

patriceb_kona_115droppingin.jpg

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fine wave riding, but if I'm not mistaken, aren't those taken up in Santa Barbara? They get a lot more wind up there than in Kailua and I've never seen waves like that at Jump City or Flat Island. But then again, you wouldn't need a wetsuit. Wink
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Starboard Freeride. Reply with quote

More of my biased opinion to follow.

I have tested many different size and brand sup boards with sails - "Windsup."
The Starboard Freeride is my favorite combo to date.

The board paddles very well - the board windsup's very well.

It glides very fast and then gets onto a plane.
Does it plane like a Kona or a Formula - no. If your main goal is to plane than this isn't the right board. It is not the same planning sensation that you would get on a freeride or slalom board. A 12'2" board isn't going jump quickly onto a plane - it is a gradual climb in speed.

I think the typical windsurfer has a hard time understanding where these boards fit into the sport. Not everyone wants to plane. Also not everyone lives in a place that planing windsurfing makes sense.

The board is fun in winds 5 to 15mph.
The board is really fun to paddle in 0 to 10mph.
Easy simple longboarding / paddling.

Josh
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct above, to plane, you need flat bottom rocker and somewhat hard rails at the edge. Most SUP, except maybe the SeaLion and Exocet duck tails, just don't really plane, but do a somewhat advanced slog, dropping off the "plane" as soon as sail power goes down in the least, or the wave stops allowing the board to drop.
But wave riding demands some amount of tail rocker, or the board catches edges just when you need a loose and free rails dropping to the bottom of the wave.
So the answer? Tough one, SUP windsurf is NOT like windsurfing, more like getting a big board to plane, like advanced slogging.
Since I"m light, around 155lbs., and wear a 4/3 wetsuit every session, I'd go SeaLion or Exocet's duck tailed longboards. I never could surf a longboard well, so more likely, a SeaLion.
I"m making do with a FanaticShark 145 right now, plenty for SUP, but NOT an early planing windsurf board.
We also have a JPYoungGun 126 or so, the softy model, and it's great as a SUP, doable as a windsurf wave board, pretty good for riding small waves either paddle in or using the sail. It's too heavy for high performance, planes at slow speeds (tops out at 17 mph or so), but it's soft and easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: