myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fin bolts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenthomasphoto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: fin bolts Reply with quote

Does anyone know the fin bolt size for tuttle box. The board is a fanatic falcon. Also, are these bolts found at a hardware store, or will they need to be ordered? The fins are true ames if that matters. And will I need washers as well? Thanks so much, cheers
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pretty much get any bolt in todays hardware stores. My local Westlake-Ace Hardware carries every conceivable size, head type, and length in both metric, standard, and NPT. Even better, they have mild steel, brass, 316 SS, aluminum, nylon, and chrome plated steel!

Bring either your old bolt, or the fin and match up the size and thread pitch, then chose either brass or stainless. For our purposes, these are the best materials: brass has good resistance to general attack (corrosion) and excellent yield strength (close so some of the mild steels for certain grades of brass), plus it's soft, so it won't tear up threads. Stainless has superior resistance to general attack and chloride stress cracking, but it's hard has hell, and about 1/2 the yield strength of most steels. You should always try and match materials, so if your female threads are brass, try and find a brass bolt, stainless will work, but if you cross-thread, the stainless will tear up the brass threads.

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to go to a good marine supply store to get decent stainless bolts that don't corrode onto your fin insert.
The screw you get needs to match the insert inside the base of your fin. Most are 1/4 x 20 American, but some Euro brands might spec M-6. I need both threads to cover my Tuttle boards, and Starboards for one comes in M-6 for the Futura.
Tectonics slalom fins are 1/4 x 20 thread pattern.
Selects use both, depending on year, it seems.
There exists a tap that can covert a 1/4 x 20 thread to accept both.
M-6 is metric European.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along this line of discussion, anyone every try and use nylon bolts for Tuttle and powerbox? Fins are so expensive, I can go put on a mask and snorkel and go find my fin after I snap it off on the reef if it's still intact. This is the downside of these fin boxes, fin or box will be destroyed on impact, the lowly US finbox looks genius in this regard with those plastic washers that sacrifice.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, yes, you need washers. I also carry very thick plastic washers (or spacers). They allow for adjustments if you have too long of a screw.

When you buy your screws, choose them with Philipps (star) heads. There is less chance of applying too much torque with such a head, compared to hex heads or others. The same screwdriver will work for footstraps and the fin.

I think my fins were all Metric but one, (or the other way around). I converted the loner by changing the brass inserts to the appropriate one.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think just any hardware store will have these.

You need stainless and metric, most wont have anything other than zink and a regular bolt head, you should have stainless, head you can deal with.

Place fin in board and insert thin screwdriver into the hole , maneuver till its inside the fin casing hole, measure the length, some have different lengths front//back screw length. M6 as said could be the metric size.

I would take the fin and fit either US or metric to fit the existing insert then deal with the bolt length, both a rubber and stainless washer is best. depending on screw fit you may need more

most windsurf shops will carry these, so if local its the painless route.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: fin bolts Reply with quote

28DB17EE-D364-CB83-7547994C522F53E2 wrote:
Does anyone know the fin bolt size for tuttle box.

To clarify - there is no standard length or pitch for tuttle box fin screws. The screws will either be M6 (metric) or 1/4-20 (English) - it depends on what inserts the fin manufacturer chose to install in your fin. Be careful, as you may be able to force a metric screw into an English insert (or vice versa) but this should really be avoided. You want to make sure the threads in the screw are correctly matched to the threads in the fin insert (the screw should be able to easily thread into the insert using only your fingers).

Typically, the screw length will need to be customized for your specific board and fin. It's best to buy fully threaded screws that are a little longer than you need, fit the fin in the board, and then trim the screws to suit using a hack saw. It takes a little time and trial and error, but this is the only way to do the job correctly.

For my fin screws, I have evolved to socket head screws which install using a hex key (allen wrench). These screws heads are much less likely to strip out than a Phillips head or hex head screw. I keep a long T shaped allen wrench with my fin kit and this makes the screws very easy to install and remove.

sm
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sm said it best, except I would stick with Phillips head marine grade stainless steel. Of the different styles of Phillips head screws, I would recommend an oval head over a pan head or flat head design, as I find that they fare better over time. Also, it is important to remember that screwing the fin in super tight is not a great idea, particularly with fins like Tectonics because Dennis Parton doesn't use pressed-in metal (usually brass) barrel inserts, and instead threads the base material. You want the fin snug and properly set into the box. If the fin doesn't fin well into the finbox cavity, you want to sand the finbase along the flat sides to get a nice tight fit where it's reasonably easy to install or remove the fin without the aid of other tools.

In variance to what was pointed out earlier, you can re-tap a 6mm thread and change it to a 1/4-20 thread, but you really can't do the reverse. Ideally, it's best to stick with a single thread type. Believe me, it's a pain to have two sets of screws (US and metric) for every board because it's hard to keep track of everything, particularly for those that have to load and unload their equipment every time they go windsurfing.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way it works, I forgot. Been out of the industry for 10 years.
My Tuttle based fins, Select, Kinetic, and Starboard use M-6.
My Tuttle based fins, Tectonics, BBranstadler, MikeLovell, use 1/4 x 20.
Thank God my 8 PB base fins all use M-6.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
except I would stick with Phillips head

Don't knock the socket head screw 'till you've tried it. I used Phillips head screws for many, many years. The heads all tend to strip out over time, especially if you aren't using a screw driver that fits perfectly in the screw head. I moved on to hex head bolts for a couple years and used a ratchet wrench to install the screws, but the ratchet wrench can be bulky to carry around and it wouldn't easily fit past an on center rear foot strap on boards with power box fins.

The socket head screws work really well. A long T-handle allen wrench can easily reach deep into fin screw recesses, it provides plenty of torque for installing the screws, and the head is much less likely to strip out than a phillips head screw. And yes, you can get these screws in "marine grade" stainless (316 alloy).

As far as tapping an M6 insert to 1/4"-20, it has been discussed in the past and most anyone with a mechanical or machinery background would agree that it's a really bad idea. If you look in the insert after you have done this, you will see that there is actually very little thread remaining for the screws to engage into. You are MUCH better off using the correct pitch thread for your inserts.

Any screw size, type, or material that you could possibly need for a windsurfing fin is available from McMaster Carr or Fastenal - get the right ones.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: