myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board segment questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out last night in 25 gusting over 30 on my Firemove 122 with a 5.5 Cheetah. I weigh 210. The darn thing was manageable, and much more forgiving in the jibes than a 116 All Ride which I took back to our local dealer for him to sell today.

I have also enjoyed the 122 Firemove with a 7.5 Lion and a 7.5 Zephyr. The board has great range.

I may buy a 112 Firemove for the rest of the 5.5 days in my life; but if I had to ride one board it would be the 122 Firemove, or one of the other freemoves in the 120 lt category.

Unless I can lose 20 lbs! Then, the 112 Firemove or 110 Atom iq is a no brainer.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvogelsang wrote:
Unless I can lose 20 lbs!

Easy as (no) pie. I opposed Atkins for decades, now strongly support him.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think buying a board for a weight you plan on is like buying pants
for a waist size you plan on.

Or, rigging for wind you plan on. ;*)

-Craig

gvogelsang wrote:
I was out last night in 25 gusting over 30 on my Firemove 122 with a 5.5 Cheetah. I weigh 210. The darn thing was manageable, and much more forgiving in the jibes than a 116 All Ride which I took back to our local dealer for him to sell today.

I have also enjoyed the 122 Firemove with a 7.5 Lion and a 7.5 Zephyr. The board has great range.

I may buy a 112 Firemove for the rest of the 5.5 days in my life; but if I had to ride one board it would be the 122 Firemove, or one of the other freemoves in the 120 lt category.

Unless I can lose 20 lbs! Then, the 112 Firemove or 110 Atom iq is a no brainer.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny ding.....
Yesterday, Berkeley. A well known poster here, injured for the past 2 months, dropped by from the City. At 6'3" and 190 lbs. Winds were zero to 7 until past the restaurant, then 17-27 mph outside.
He picked an 89 liter board, and a 4.4 sail! Yes.
After two forwards his second run, a few more and a standard Vulcan his 4th run, I knew he was going to be OK.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that these words for boards are used VERY loosely.
My freeride can be more slalom than your slalom.
You have to sail them.
Zirtaeb, you were kidding when you said a pro can only gain 1.5 mph on an expert sailor with the same gear.
Ever race? I work as an official in racing.
Beale can go 10 knots faster. I timed him.he weighs 168lbs.
Expert sailors low 30s pros low 40s
Look on the GPS site.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, really. I"m 65, what I consider an "expert" sailor. Yes, I raced 4 Stroh's World Cups back in the mid 80's, won some SantaCruz slalom series, made finals in quite a few amateur slalom events, usually top 15 in a handful of speed events.
I get to sail with TysonPoor, once a year. Berkeley has some decent sailors on the newest gear also. Got to sail the course with Wilhelm from Brazil, and some pretty decent SFBay sailors.
Yes, they get me by 1/2 mph, me on freeride, them on full race slalom boards and sails 1-2 meters bigger.
I mentioned I ordered a JPSuperSport109. It came in Wed., used it today in breeze of 13-21mph, check it on Berkeley's sensors. Used a '96 Gaastra3 cam narrow sleeve recreational sail, a 6.0.
Not many in the water, but my bud on a 7.2Warp and '12 RRD Firerace was falling back pretty quick, and he can jibe 90%. I"m 152 lbs, he's 165lbs.
First day on the board, stock thick fin, not dialed, and ya dink? Sail might be a little small?
Not only am I now a recreational sailor, but at my age, and lack of use of left ankle, my jibes are wobbly at best, I can fall off the tail at any moment on starboard (weak ankle), and I haven't been able to run in over 7 years.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and NO WAY is any pro slalom sailor going by me by more than 1.5 mph if we're both powered.
OK, maybe Antoine and Finian can, but by 2mph.
I've sailed easily a dozen days with FredHaywood, Laird, and Roddy in Maui and speed trials around here and the Gorge. Those are big boys.
Big boy buds include DaveLeur's, FerrisHamilton, JeffBayles, VictorZuffla. Those were my peers. I could beat them on lighter days, they edge me out in winds over 30.
I am NOT nearly the fastest guy at Berkeley. There are at least half a dozen regulars who are peers or slightly faster, but we're talking 1/2 mph, me on freeride, them on dedicated slalom gear.
I haven't entered an event since '89 Ponds, did mid 38's, the same as Fred and Roddy, faster than Laird. But it was an NPryde event, so only NP sailors advanced to the weekday finals. My roomate went 4 mph faster, used WARP slaloms, but they didn't allow him into the private time trials.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
..and NO WAY is any pro slalom sailor going by me by more than 1.5 mph if we're both powered.
OK, maybe Antoine and Finian can, but by 2mph.
I've sailed easily a dozen days with FredHaywood, Laird, and Roddy in Maui and speed trials around here and the Gorge. Those are big boys.
Big boy buds include DaveLeur's, FerrisHamilton, JeffBayles, VictorZuffla. Those were my peers. I could beat them on lighter days, they edge me out in winds over 30.
I am NOT nearly the fastest guy at Berkeley. There are at least half a dozen regulars who are peers or slightly faster, but we're talking 1/2 mph, me on freeride, them on dedicated slalom gear.
I haven't entered an event since '89 Ponds, did mid 38's, the same as Fred and Roddy, faster than Laird. But it was an NPryde event, so only NP sailors advanced to the weekday finals. My roomate went 4 mph faster, used WARP slaloms, but they didn't allow him into the private time trials.

Zirtaeb, based on what you described, you are at pro-level,
Things work in a different way for rest of us mortals. I'm not bad,
but don't have a prayer agains Wilhem or PWA guys.. Couple of years back in light winds (Miami pro-am) Micah(US34) was at the end of second lap when rest of us were at the end of first, and we had some fast guys there.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Or, rigging for wind you plan on. ;*)

We kid Jim abut that often, but guess who gets on the water first with each wind speed change.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not nearly PRO level.
I said I was "expert" level.
My "expert" means I can do full planing jibes 90% in flat water, maybe 75% in rough deep water chop, regularly sail with that level sailors on dedicated slalom gear, at a location where some of the guys compete regularly in the KanahaBeachPark Slalom series (some there are pros, but not that many), have sailed all the disiplines in windsurfing except freestyle, and old school speed oriented, having sailed 9' slalom boards since 1984.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: