myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Advise for a Beginner?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justmakewaves

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Advise for a Beginner? Reply with quote

I spend my summers on the cape and love all water sports. Last year I bought a SUP board that can be converted to a windsurfer. I understand that it is not the best setup but it is what I have to learn. I have been out with a friend twice and want to get out more. My fear is to go out by myself in case I need help. Is there a group that is starting out, that look out for each other. What would be the best way to gain confidence?
outcast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Flax pond in Nickerson is a hidden secret for beginners....
You can't get blown out to sea on a pond.....There are sups and windsurfers for rent there...

wind there will be a little up and down, but you wont have chop waves to figure out.

The classics are Kalmus and West Dinnis....if you go when the wind is onshore, you will always make it home...>West Dennis has a nice crowd and learning ther maybe be easier than Kalmus which has more chop/boat wakes

Check
http://www.capecodwahines.org

amarie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes--the group aspect makes learning easier and more fun. Any beach with windsurfers present and onshore wind/low chop should help with that. Agreed with the Kalmus and West Dennis suggestions above, for mid cape. I'm not familiar with the launches on other parts of the cape. But generally windsurfers are so friendly that they will come over and give you pointers, even if you don't ask. (USUALLY this is a good and welcome thing...hahaha). That really helped me learn, because there were things I didn't even know I was doing wrong, and people would have friendly advice or encouragement. Even if the others are more advanced, that atmosphere of learning is usually there among sailors of all levels--lots of people are working on aspects of their sailing and enjoy talking technique. Then you start developing a network of people to keep in touch with about when the wind is looking good and when/where to sail.

Some other things that helped me learn were sessions when the tide wasn't super high and I could touch bottom--makes it easier to keep getting up and trying again--and a shorty wetsuit so I could spend a lot of time falling in and not get too chilly. Booties saved my feet from falling onto shells. There are pointers and videos to look up online for some mental practice in between sessions. good luck Smile PS I don't think the SUP sailor is terrible...my brother in law is learning that way, seemingly successfully so far.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest lessons with a qualified instructor. Besides improving your skills and confidence, they can also cover self-rescue techniques, something every windsurfer should know. Both local windsurf shops (Inland Sea and Sailworld) offer windsurfing lessons. If you're near Kalmus and would like a lesson there, that's possible, too - check the $100 perk at the "Help us bring Caesar to Cape Cod" campaign (the lessons would be with me, but the money would be going towards Casear's trip expenses).
npiankov

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to a clinic happening this Saturday. Not on the Cape, but not too far (Boston!) and could be a good opportunity to learn some basics and meet others like you.

Otherwise I second Peter's suggestion that some instruction is very beneficial. Many of us learned the hard way and it goes so much faster if you have someone helping along for at least the first few times out. AT the very least, get an instructional DVD: I personally love Peter Hart's "Windsurfing FUNdamentals". Oldie, but still 100% relevant to "gaining confidence."
capeandbonaire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waqoit Bay in Mashpee is great. Mostly shallow and onshore with a SW and W wind. Look up Wills Work Rd.
Number-nine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West dennis is a good place to learn and there are a fair number of other sailors there most summer days if it is southerly winds.
The best time to go is at dead low tide. Minimal chop and consistent wind.
Go when it is 10-15 a very nice speed.

Ponds are good but wind will be gusty and shifty and can be frustrating.

As much as it is good to learn the sailing it is equally good to know when and where to go.

Killer tour www.http://internationalwindsurfingtour.com/

My Gear by
http://Goya windsurfing.com/sails/
http://quatrointernational.com/
https://chinooksailing.com/
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Dennis is the place, lots of friendly wsurfers, eager to help you learn and provide coaching.

All comments above are right on target in terms of conditions. My one additional advice I can give about being a Newbie is to learn to WATERSTART as soon as possible.

This will open up the sport for you in a big way and will make life a LOT easier when you don't have to uphaul. It's worth a lesson, it's not that tough and will make you a lot more confident in expanding your conditions.

Happy to have another windsurfer join the ranks, have fun!

DC
Justmakewaves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for all of the advise. I have been able to get out and feel much more confident and see myself throwing my gear in my car and getting out there a lot more!! Thank you again for your support!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To us fellow WSers, it's a common sight, but some "civilians" ... non-WSers ... are still surprised, even here in the windy Columbia River Gorge, when a female starts yanking gear out of her car on an extremely windy day, rigs up, hits the water, and rips, all by herself. Most civilians presume it's a young, strong male's sport, but many really OLD, or overweight, or scrawny, or female, or really YOUNG ... and several combinations of those descriptors ... excellent WSers blow that myth out of the water every windy day. Their common trait is confidence, often preceded and attained by a good, go-for-it attitude and lots of TOW (Time On the Water).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: