myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bic Astro Rock vs Fanatic Ultra Shark 291

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenthomasphoto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Bic Astro Rock vs Fanatic Ultra Shark 291 Reply with quote

Just hoping for some opinions on the Bic Astro Rock and the Fanatic Ultra Shark 291. My two sails are from the same time period. Hot Sails Maui 5.5 AWOL and Bic Fun Slalom 640. My skill levels will accommodate either board. Which one do you like?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bic Astro Rock vs Fanatic Ultra Shark 291 Reply with quote

I'd rather ride an Astro Rock

-Craig

28DB17EE-D364-CB83-7547994C522F53E2 wrote:
Just hoping for some opinions on the Bic Astro Rock and the Fanatic Ultra Shark 291. My two sails are from the same time period. Hot Sails Maui 5.5 AWOL and Bic Fun Slalom 640. My skill levels will accommodate either board. Which one do you like?
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat deck and general ease of sailing prefers AstroRocks, plus it's a fun board for non planing sail flip tricks.
UShark is faster, but with some caveats. It's more high strung, it doesn't like play, it needs to be powered to go well, and well it goes faster than most boards of it's generation. It's initial stability is quite a bit less, while it's nice for full speed carving jibes from expert sailors.
AstroRock is just something you can have fun with, and sail along at good speeds making great turns.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astro Rock. A great board and ahead of its time. I thinks most of had one. Electric Rock even better...
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shark is a slalom board that planes up fast and beats you up in rough water.
The astro is a low performance fun toy that's easier to ride,but slow and too clumsy for waves. I like them both but the Astro went out of my actual use years before the shark.
Modern slalom boards are faster than the Shark but at your level you might not know the dif.

Both are flat which works better in a slalom like the shark.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you consider an Astro Dock too clumsy for waves, imagine your thoughts on a 11'8" Exocet SUP for waves.
Lots of guys absolutely RIP in small waves with the Exocet.
mrkhm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Astro Rock was the most popular board in the world for many years because it was a fun and easy ride in many conditions. I have had one for 20+ years and now use it in the waves. For lower wind speeds a Fanatic Fly 10' works well in the waves. No wind? Paddle the Fly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: