myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Replacement boom front / back ends?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Replacement boom front / back ends? Reply with quote

I have a Dynafiber carbon boom and noticed cracks in the molded plastic front and rear ends. The boom is otherwise in pretty good shape. I've found a couple sources for a front end replacement but nothing for the back. Any sources for parts in the US? I'm pretty handy with fiberglass so am considering fabricating something myself if I have no luck. Anyone ever try this?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8638&sid=6e692ebdb7c6f661492ea60674bce42b
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that thread while looking for info on the boom. The company is no more so I'm unlikely to find parts specifically for Dynafiber and instead hope find parts that might fit it. The tubes and other parts are still rock solid. Too good to just toss and replace. Gotta be a way to fix this.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found some parts on Windance.com that'll work...
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious. Is there any way to take the ends and stress them such that the cracks open enough to force Gorilla Glue into them?
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front and rear end parts are both made out of plastic. The rear end is splitting where a rivet connects it to the carbon fiber tubing. The split is spreading so it's about 1/16" wide. I don't think Gorilla Glue will adhere to the plastic very well nor have the strength to prevent further splitting. I am considering using "Marine Tex" which is an epoxy resin specifically intended for filling and repairing plastic (as well as other materials: http://www.marinetex.com/Marine-Texfaqs.html#Anchor-Marine-44867 ).
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobig- I have a broken Dynafiber boom- tail end is intact- though I did have to replace a corroded rivet with a stainless screw- works fine- the whole tail piece is yours for the cost of packing/ shipping- or I can just send the plastic section- seems not a bad idea to have the whole spare end.. PM me if you're interested. It's just dumpster fodder to me- though I hate throwing out carbon parts.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gobbdogg - PM sent. Smile
vikingsail

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rear carbon section is still good but the cleat assembly is bad, simply purchase the Chinook back end pulley assembly, when I had dynafiber booms I made this change almost immediately so I could use adjustable outhaul.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsail wrote:
If the rear carbon section is still good but the cleat assembly is bad, simply purchase the Chinook back end pulley assembly, when I had dynafiber booms I made this change almost immediately so I could use adjustable outhaul.

Are the tubing diameters the same? I haven't measured it yet but it looks pretty similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: