myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Batten Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgomez

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Batten Replacement Reply with quote

Got schooled a few days back....last round just 200m from my start point fell in and landed on shore with rocks behind...stupidly tried to beach start upwind and then then my boom opened up and i got stuck in waves...the damage all my 5 battens broke and the cloth ripped out of the sail.

While I can have the sail cloth stitched, I really have no clue about replacing the battens....my sail is a simmer style 6.9 with one peice tapered battens that have plastic arrow shaped endings.

My question is can I use plain fiberglass rods (non tapered) from my place (India) as battens or should I buy and ship battens from the US.

Can a normal fiberglass rod replace the tapered battens?

Thanks in advance.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rgomez - Sounds like your sail got a good working over. The answer to your question is yes but you'll need to reshape the fiberglass battens a little (using sand paper) to duplicate the general shape and taper of the battens you are replacing. I have a large freeride sail (Sailworks Retro) that I broken several of the hollow rod battens on in small surf. I took solid rectangular shaped fiberglass battens from older sails and rounded off the corners to create a circular shape and tapered the end section to simulate the rod battens and these have worked fine with no significant change in performance. You'll see that sanding and shaping the fiberglass battens is rather easy if your patient. So give that a try first if you've got spare battens.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: