myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board segment questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: board segment questions Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out all these freeride, race, move, slalom classifications and how they relate to how I like to sail. Here is a question. Why do all slalom boards use big sails? On my 130L freeride I can use a 6.0 and be perfect. What happens when I use a 6.0 on a 130L slalom board that is rated for 8.0 - 10?

I really like straps in the out position, seat harness, pushing the board as fast as I am comfortable given chop. I like a board that is smooth and stable over chop, but when you push the rail, it bites. Thats it.

It is so confusing hearing all these classifications, but I have no interest in using sails bigger than 7.5 At 145lbs. they become a handful.

I read all the marketing and understand the lingo, but in reality, it seems most boards in my segment 105L - 130L will perform similar in speed, but may differ in turning capacity? My sails range from 5.0 -7.5

I haven't been keeping up with the Jones on equipment for 20 years. I know I need to demo, and I will, but this website is such a great resource for learning.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should consider fast freeride gear, instead of full blown slalom.
Slalom boards are the lightest, most fragile boards of the company lines.
Fast freerides come close in speed, but are more durable, slightly heavier, and friendlier for jibes.
Underpowered on a really light board is very bad, as the board can hit good speeds, but the lightweight without sail power comes OFF a plane quicker than a slightly heavier board. Not only come off a plane, but also bounce around, especially up and down, during fast reaches and entry into jibes.
Average 110 liter, or around 65-70 cm wide boards of each range will weigh in around 12.5 lbs for slalom, and around 14.5 for fast freeride.
Rider's of average skill will often go faster and turn much quicker with freeride boards, while pro level sailors rely on the huge sails to keep their lighter boards in trim and also planing out of jibes.
rangerider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related to this question - isn't it fair to say that for the same wind / board width / fin combination the appropriately sized full-race sail is bigger than the appropriately sized free ride sail. So a free ride board will have recommended sail sizes smaller than the slalom board because of the sail type assumed to be paired with each board? To say it another way - a 7.5 free ride sail is not the same animal as a 7.5 race sail even though they both measure 7.5M and the differences matter when paired with a board.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeride sail will have more low end early planing power, by deeper draft, softer battens, lighter weights.
Full on race sails will have higher top end control in higher winds, shallower draft by having more of the sail max twisted, more reinforcement from heavier battens, for stronger winds. And heaver in weight.
Takes more skill to sail with big sails, long booms, and sails without early planing, but the rewards are higher topspeeds when really powered, better control when really powered, and the ability to pass thru wind and wake shadows from sailors ahead, and to block the wind and create wakes to sailors behind.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frederick,

In addition to the negatives that zirtaeb points out for the "full on" slalom board that you identify as what you are looking for, they also ride rough because of flat or almost flat bottoms for speed. They have wider tails for early planning and carrying larger sails, but they don't gybe as well as freeride boards that have more V in the bottom, narrower tails and softer rails. The outboard straps are bad news for chop hopping, but good leverage for the larger sails. Slalom boards can be very fast, but only if the sailor's skills will allow it.

I have an iSonic 111 slalom board (108 liters) and a 105 liter HiFly Move, bump and jump board, both 69 cm wide. Very similar boards in some ways, but VERY different to sail. The HiFly is a lot more fun if there is enough wind (6.5 sail or smaller) - Ideal sails for me are 6.0 and 5.2). The iSonic is fast, but not as much fun and is best suited for sails from 7.0 to 8.0. (I use 6.6, 7.6 and 8.4). I also carry a GPS on all outings for the last 8 years. My top speed is the same for both boards.

I weigh 170 lbs. Hope this help in your selection.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you didn't say you like to sail overpowered it sounds like you may prefer a free race board like the Fanatic Ray or Starboard Futura. Max speed between slalom & free ride should be the same as Techno noted but average speed should be higher with a slalom board paired with a good slalom sail. When sailed with smaller fins & sails slalom boards do ride rougher, you have to overcome that with bigger fins & sails together the board to fly over the chop.

What you have to decide is if you want a board that will easily handle a 7.5 or a board that is on the limit with a 7.5? It will likely depend on the amount of time you spend on the 7.5 sail. A 130 will leave lots of room for the 7.5, a 105 will not.

Coachg
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you sail and what your conditions are, but at 145 lbs, a 130 litre board sure seems big to carry sails from a 5.0 to a 7.5. Most 105 to 110 litre boards will carry a 7.5 just fine, and one of the smaller wide freeride boards would seem perfect....the RRD firemove for example. I think that you might find a smaller board faster and more fun, than your 130ltr.

KMF
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of those valid race vs freeride sail comments is that the top speed advantage race sails offer applies only to riders with the skills, confidence, and outright bravery to rig very big AND access the extra potential. Really good recreational/amateur sailors on B&J, wave, or especially freeride equipment blow right by ordinary sailors on slalom gear every day in the "real world" where it's bumpy enough that those factors matter.

Yeah, we know Dale Cook uses slalom boards for B&J sailing, but none of us regulars here are or ever will be Dale Cook.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with Zirtaeb's advice. Twenty years ago slalom boards were a sensible choice for all around windsurfers who wanted to go fast. Modern freeride boards give up only a tiny bit of speed, in exchange for much better jibing and durability.

If I were your weight with your tastes I'd get two boards: A 110-120 freeride board and an 85 liter freestyle wave board ("freestyle wave" are excellent bump and jump boards...you need never take them into the waves or attempt freestyle. And they're plenty fast. And they're comfortable in chop.)

Forget race and slalom boards is my .02. Go demo some of these other suggestions. Enjoy!

SergioKapul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually , I disagree with previous posts, new gen. slalom boards are easy to ride/jibe, etc... I see no point in freerides, they cost about the same, they
break about the same; but they're slower and less fun... It's like you have a choice of buying a porsche or a buick, and you want to drag racing most of the time, for same money what would you buy??? As for the sail size confusion, recommendation on slalom based on larger pro-rider trying to win a race using 'race' sail so sizes are larger. You can go smaller and it will be just fine. I'd recomend race/ or free-race sail for more stable speed control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: