myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
my exocet windsup, something's fishy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like footstraps also, i use the three strap setup with the front straps
On the outside rail back hole's i like the leverage the outside straps give
Me over the board,can real pull up on it to turn. And the back foot i can
Move from rail to strap e/z
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a used but mint 35cm JP Carve fin for almost nothing. Much to my surprise it worked great with the 8.5 in winds near 20 mph.
Seemed as fast but a bit looser, upwind seemed fine too. Only one session with good winds but I'm impressed. How can this 35cm fin perform as well as the stock 44cm with the 8.5m?
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having issues getting in the foot straps until I went from a two bolt universal to a one bolt, the 1.5" I was able to move it back made all the difference. I use three straps, Dakine core contour. IMO the mast track is too far forward, it should be back about three inches.
I have been SUPing mine recently, I think it's a pretty good flat water paddler, better glide than a typical surfboard type SUP of similar size and with all the volume, 220L, it floats up on top of the water instead of pushing a big bow wake. It makes that funny echoy hollow sound as it skims across the top of the water.
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
I like footstraps on my 11'8". At the very least, they provide handles to help carry it in and out of the shorebreak without disaster.

For wave/swell conditions and sails < 7.0 I go with the 3-footstrap, centered configuration, with a 30-something freeride fin. (Maui ultra fins 32 cm "no-spin" is my favorite.) Mast base as far back as it goes.

For flatwater and > 7.5 sails the 46 cm stock fin and a 4-footstrap outboard configuration is nice. Mast base still pretty far back.

James- Can you give us a comparison of the 11'8" to your homemade step-tail? Does your board out-perform the WindSUP in any conditions? How do you choose between the two?

I ask because I had a great session in a pretty nasty sea-state yesterday, needed a big board to get going through the shore break (heavy rip at the shore, like launching in a river), but once outside my 11' Mistral Pacifico pearled several times in the very tightly spaced wind-swell. I need a shorter big board - say 9.5-10'. I have a Kona Surf (10'5"), but contrary to it's name, it does better in flat water when it can be pumped onto a plane. In the fun-house of on-shore wind and swell, it has a hard time getting going (for me).

So I'm thinking of finding a donor-board and making a step tail.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieinnyc-

11'8 Exocet vs. 10'4 DIY step-tail:

Flat water non-planing:
Both boards get around fine in light winds, but the 11'8 glides better so it's a little faster and can get a little more "coast" down non-breaking waves and swells.

Marginal planing conditions:
Both boards plane in about the same amount of wind with the same size sail, but the Exocet has a more smooth and gradual transition to planing. The 10'4 "pops" onto a plane more like a shortboard. The 11'8 is better able to carry oversized sails (8.5 - 12.5), which probably makes its ultimate early planing threshold lower.

Fully planing conditions:
The 11'8 is like a powerful battleship- fast and smooth but definitely feels big and heavy. The 10'4 feels more like a shortboard. Both boards are most fun in smooth water and get a "B" grade in steep chop.

Tacking and Jibing:
The 10'4 can do a quick tack or pivot jibe, which is useful when getting on or off a wave, but I haven't quite figured out how to carve jibe it consistently. The 11'8 need room to jibe, but it's easier to make it do a smooth carve all the way around without losing much speed.

SUPing Waves:
The 11'8 catches gentle waves a little earlier and coasts longer on "dead" waves, but its kind of tricky to not pearl the nose when the waves are steep, and with my relatively light weight and low skill I can't make it turn much. The 10'4 catches waves pretty well, too, and has quicker acceleration, better turning, and less likelihood of pearling the nose. It's not quite as easy and loose as it was before I did the step-tail mod, but it has better speed on the wave face and can go further sideways down the shoreline in one wave ride.

Wavesailing:
Both boards are great for wavesailing, but I most often prefer the 10'4, with the preference getting stronger when the waves are bigger and the wind is less onshore.

Anyway, I definitely think it's worth trying a step-tail mod.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: