myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who sells 36" (or longer) harness lines?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Hot Sails Maui and they claim that they measure the length of the line. Mine should be here in a few days (hopefully). They offer flat rate shipping (USPS I think) for $7.50. Not free but not all that bad.
outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll be very happy with your HSM lines, they're extremely well made. If for some reason they're not long enough let me know.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've liked the Hot Sails Maui lines. They seem to be durable, have low swing, grip the boom well without tearing up the grip.

I find their sizing to be pretty average for the industry. I'm using 30" myself and stock up to 32".

Running low on these lines... time to order some more!

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
Shipping from Hawaii will cost nearly as much as the lines...

Of course this is not an issue if you can simply measure the lines at the shop but if ordering shipping will kill you.

Everything windsurfing has to be delivered these days unless you happen to live in Maui, the bay area or the Gorge where there are actual shops that sell windsurfing gear, a few other scattered shops I suppose but I don't believe there are any in Southern California.
Many shops will ship USPS if you ask but they prefer fedex or ups because it's easier and doesn't require a trip to the post office. Those flat rate USPS boxes are a godsend, same price 50 states and you can put I think up to 70 lbs in them. Delivery is quick and I've never had a problem with them.
I loathe fedex and ups, I've had quoted prices over $50 for little bitty parts.
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 34" Hot Sails fixed lines. They are my favorite.

They are back in stock (they were out for a while). They just fixed the website shipping charge to include a USPS Priority option that is reasonable.

I bought NP 34" lines from NP Maui last year.

Sizes do differ between brands. Guy Cribb ( who is sponsored by NP) complained that Dakines measure short.

I can confirm the DK 32" is too short for me, but I have just found out the NP 34" (which I think measures on the long side) is a touch too long.

I also agree with Kevin, I like the less swing of the Hot Sails lines compared to the NP lines.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lines from HSM arrived in todays mail. They look fine but I noticed that inside the vinyl tubing, besides the black dacron line, there's what looks like a small diameter yellow line (spectra kite line?). Any idea what that's for? To reduce stretch? If so, kind of a funky way to do it.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the safety line - if the black line breaks, it will let you sail back to shore. I wish my Dakine harness lines had had such a thing when they broke without apparent cause after less than one year of use!
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
That's the safety line - if the black line breaks, it will let you sail back to shore. I wish my Dakine harness lines had had such a thing when they broke without apparent cause after less than one year of use!

I guess that makes sense. Do harness lines really break that often? If so, is it because of chaffing (wear) or just degradation of the line from UV? I windsurfed for decades (from the late 70's to 2000) and never had a harness line break. Guess I'm lucky.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I windsurfed for decades (from the late 70's to 2000) and never had a harness line break."

You still using those original lines from yesteryear? Seriously, I've so many break over the years, it's hard to imagine how one could escape the fate of having to buy new ones.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
You still using those original lines from yesteryear

Yea, I guess the way I worded that was a bit misleading. Although I windsurfed for 30+ years, I didn't use the same set of harness lines all that time. In fact, the technology went through so many changes I have no idea how many hours / sessions I had before I upgraded/updated my gear. But I've never had a harness line break, in fact, I've almost never had any gear failures windsurfing or kitesurfing. I'm pretty careful about maintaining my gear and replacing/repairing things that look worn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: