myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Use a kite harness for windsurfing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Use a kite harness for windsurfing? Reply with quote

I've got a kite oriented Dakine seat harness with "hammer head" spreader bar and am getting into windsurfing (windSUPing to be exact). The hook seems a bit low and the hook looks like it might be a bit harder to get unhooked. Anyone else using a kite harness to windsurf or should I just break down and get another harness or spreader bar?
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa people windsurfing with kite harnesses; might as well give it a try. For seat vs. waist harness discussion try this:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28288
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primary difference, at least in DaKine's lineup, seems to be the addition of a grab handle on the back of the kite versions. Since that's very useful for anchoring my rib armor and for towing broken-down sailors, I prefer the kite versions. I either swap hooks with the dealer for a roller bar or use the kite hook as a paper weight.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will definitely want to swap out the kite hook for a windsurfing hook. You need to be able to drop out of the harness lines easily.

My preference is for a roller/reactor bar, but either that or a traditional windsurfing hook is what you want.

sm
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
You will definitely want to swap out the kite hook for a windsurfing hook. You need to be able to drop out of the harness lines easily...

Just learned that the hard way. Lost my balance for a split second and got catapulted. Rig is still OK, but can't say the same for my knee. I'll be limping while I shop for a new spreader bar. Sad Anyone want to swap their windsurf bar for a DaKine hammer head?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: