myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Got Robbed at Viento (again)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Got Robbed at Viento (again) Reply with quote

Happened in the Viento parking lot near the launch last Sunday at around 11 am. Other cars were parked.

They broke the lock, couldn't open, so they broke the window and ran away with my two computers. Estimated damages and stolen goods, $3,500.

Called the police and did a report to the rangers that have their office pretty far away on the south side of I84. "Never happened before". No true, stuff were stolen from my tent 3 years ago.

Of course, I happens all the time in the Gorge, my friend got robbed in Mosier last year. But I would have think that Viento was safe. I mean, camp hosts, rangers, entry fee...

Suggested to the rangers that they install a security camera in the parking lot, so they could watch what was happening from their bunker. I mean, it's no more than one third of what I am giving them per year in camping fees.

I am telling you this just in case you think that our launch sites are still safe in The Gorge. But I am really upset, so if you see me on the beach don't mention anything, I want to leave this very sour incident behind me the sooner possible.

Guy
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that totally sucks Guy. Makes me nervous about parking there. I wonder if weekdays are safer than weekends with the weekend crowds gone (you know what I mean). The sad thing is this has been a problem for kayakers on various rivers. I guess it was just a matter of time...
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy,

Sorry about the loss of your gear. I know from my own experience it is not just the financial loss. It is the sense of violation of your person.

But just to help you get over your bad feelings let me tell you the end story of the forum posting on iwindsurf.com about the expensive tripod that a tourist left at the Hatchery several days ago.

Garth and Debbie found the tripod and gave it to me since I am a photographer. I put a posting on iwindsurf.com that night. No responses.

Then a local windsurfer happened to notice a posting about a tripod on Portland Craigslist lost and found thread by a German tourist. The windsurfer contacted the tourist by phone and gave him my e-mail address. But the tourist was heading back to Germany so local relatives mailed me and then arranged to come my house in White Salmon to pick it up.

Events like this give me hope that the good guys will keep outnumbering the bad guys in the Gorge.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
jgda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

Well, this is the first I have heard of something like this happening, but I am not suprised. I see this at trailheads around oregon from time to time. This motivates me to not make it easier by 'hiding' a key rather than taking it in a waterproof container on the water.

However, nothing can prevent a window break-in. I think the isolation of Viento maybe makes that place a bit more vulnerable.

Hang in there Guy...and kudos to Garth and Deb!!
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't leave your stuff where they can see it!!! Put it in the trunk, or covered with an old towel. They won't risk arrest for useless junk.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Don't leave your stuff where they can see it!!! Put it in the trunk ....

OTOH, many sailors never even close their doors or trunk lid while sailing. I'm always amazed how much pain or jail time these drug-addled ratbags will risk for a few bucks worth of stuff.

Oops. Scratch that "jail" part. I don't know about Oregon, but in WA even stealing the whole CAR gets no jail time until the 7th conviction. Guess we're back to the pain part.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pain part. Yeah, right. Enjoy your revenge fantasy tough guy. .
westender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rats and Weasels crawl down from the Mt. this time of year.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the loss of your property. I hope insurance will cover it.

Technically a robbery is the taking of property by fear or force - envision a person walking up to you with a gun, pointing it at you and demanding your wallet. A burglary is what you experienced, a theft of your property when you were not present.

I was quite alarmed when I read the subject line of your post because I assumed you had actually been robbed, a potentially much more dangerous situation than a burglary. I was glad to discovery that was not the case.

A theft via a burglary is a bummer, but at least your physical safety was never at risk.
GuyT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youwindsurf wrote:
Sorry for the loss of your property. I hope insurance will cover it.

Technically a robbery is the taking of property by fear or force - envision a person walking up to you with a gun, pointing it at you and demanding your wallet. A burglary is what you experienced, a theft of your property when you were not present.

I was quite alarmed when I read the subject line of your post because I assumed you had actually been robbed, a potentially much more dangerous situation than a burglary. I was glad to discovery that was not the case.

A theft via a burglary is a bummer, but at least your physical safety was never at risk.

You may have guessed that I am a foreigner and don"t master English very well. Sorry for upsetting you with my title and thanks for the tutorial. At least, I learned something from this bad experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: