myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ban the Forum?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anecak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Ban the Forum? Reply with quote

Does anybody get weary of the same know-it-all nimrods posting answers to any and every discussion subject that comes across the forum, as if they know the answer to everything? They obviously have way too much time on their hands. Just curious.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be a hater, just because you don't know all the answers like Isobars does..... Laughing

However, I do find that his and many others have sage advice from time to time, so will read responses that fit my needs. Many are worth what you paid for them. ZERO!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ban the Forum? Reply with quote

Does anybody get weary of the people objecting to posts they don't want to see, even to the point of suggesting censoring those posters as if those people are the world's moderator and despite the fact that many people express appreciation and concurrence with said prolific posters? These wannabe censors obviously have way too much time on their hands.

Just curious.[/quote]
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those guys really DO know the answers to all the questions, so you should read and heed, instead of complain and whine.
bamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ban the Forum? Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Does anybody get weary of the people objecting to posts they don't want to see, even to the point of suggesting censoring those posters as if those people are the world's moderator and despite the fact that many people express appreciation and concurrence with said prolific posters? These wannabe censors obviously have way too much time on their hands.

Just curious.
[/quote]

I'm just curious: what about those who don't have any appreciation for certain posters? Do you think they should have a say, especially if they are the original poster/ person looking for advice?

Would you Isobars be willing to refrain from posting if the originator of a thread signals they do not want to hear from you?

You seem desirous of those on the forum getting the information they want, from whom they want it from. Would you extend that courtesy to everyone, including those who specifically don't want your input?

For example, maybe someone wanted to discuss tacking and didn't want the discussion to devolve into some BS about how tacking is more dangerous than lawn darts and if they continue to tack it is just a matter of time before they suffer a traumatic brain injury. (http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27686)

An example subject for this thread could be: '(IFP) Tacking a Waveboard'

The '(IFP)' stands for Isobars Free Post and would signal you at first glance that your opinion is not wanted.

Maybe the moderators would have a problem with this. But what about you? This could certainly save you a lot of time and would be a nice gauge of your popularity.

I personally think it would be nice to find some kind of a solution so the constant infighting and hijacking. And to be very clear there are multiple culprits. But there is also a single user that is the most prolific poster and also the most polarizing.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Some of those guys really DO know the answers to all the questions, so you should read and heed, instead of complain and whine.

Some of these guys who whine about so-called know-it-alls (I suspect it's relative) have subsequently revealed their inability to jibe, or downhaul properly, plane upwind or downwind, etc.

We know what earplugs are; is there such a thing as a brainplug?
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to forums to hear multiple opinions. There are many ways to skin a cat, and the forums reflect that. Most people on this forum mean good, the others launch personal attacks. The latter is really annoying...
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamer wrote:
Would you Isobars be willing to refrain from posting if the originator of a thread signals they do not want to hear from you?

It depends on the topic. If it's of general interest (there are lurkers here), or if I have strong feelings about it, the answer is, "No". When somebody tells the readers-at-large there's only one acceptable way to do something or gives harmful advice almost everyone knows is wrong but no one's correcting, or if I feel I have some insight no one else has covered, I'm likely to weigh in. Public bulletin boards like this are not suitable venues for censorship or private conversations; people who think a thread is theirs and theirs alone need to realize they are not the only one here seeking information.

bamer wrote:
You seem desirous of those on the forum getting the information they want, from whom they want it from.

I don't care from whom anyone gets their advice; if my contribution has been covered, I pass.

bamer wrote:
Would you extend that courtesy to everyone, including those who specifically don't want your input?

See first answer. Besides, "courtesy" is too subjective. Is slamming on the brakes on the freeway to let a merging car wander onto the freeway "courteous"? To whom?

bamer wrote:
maybe someone wanted to discuss tacking and didn't want the discussion to devolve into some BS about how tacking is more dangerous than lawn darts ...
(http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27686)

I (and Andy Brandt) stand behind my appropriate posts in that thread. You'll have to pick a better example to convince me.

bamer wrote:
An example subject for this thread could be: '(IFP) Tacking a Waveboard'. The '(IFP)' stands for Isobars Free Post and would signal you at first glance that your opinion is not wanted.

I assume you're joking. Do you have any idea how many lurkers there are here? They're listed; it's dozens, sometimes. Anyone who wants a private conversation in which s/he can post anything s/he wishes without feedback or blowback should go find ... you know ... a private conversation.

bamer wrote:
... a nice gauge of your popularity.

Maybe if I phrase my feelings about popularity differently this time I can get the message across: I feel sorry for people whose primary gauge of success or self-worth is popularity, because that grades them on OTHERS' priorities and behavior. (The same goes for WSers whose only measure of WSing fun is whether the other sailors on their pond are slower.) For better or worse, I'm my own man, not anyone else's.

bamer wrote:
I personally think it would be nice to find some kind of a solution so the constant infighting and hijacking ...

I present facts and opinions I consider relevant to the topic at hand. I leave the fighting, baseless personal attacks, hijacking (diverting still-productive threads to irrelevant topics), etc. to others. I do not consider topical, relevant, rational debate to be any of those negative activities; just the opposite, debate provides valuable facts and insight. I don't see how anyone who can't see the difference between debate and fighting ever resolves honest differences of opinion or learns facts contrary to his prior beliefs. I also can't understand why those people ask questions of the public. Do/should they simply accept the first idea some responder posts? If they did, we'd all believe the only way to apply mast foot pressure is to walk forward and stand on the mast foot.

And if I wanted to fight, I wouldn't be filtering the guys who thrive on it.

bamer wrote:
there is also a single user that is the most prolific poster and also the most polarizing.

Right there is a huge difference between the two of us: I don't beat around the bush. It wastes time and often leads to misunderstandings. As for polarizing (hell, downright poisoning) ... who's worse ... someone who earnestly and honestly responds to requests for information or someone who incessantly posts baseless personal attacks then hides or changes his attack when asked for proof? (If you have ANY doubt about the right answer, you and I are from different planets.)
bse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as they're actually into windsurfing, they can speak their mind here (IMO).

The internet has too many scammers and spammers to worry about someone so into windsurfing that they come off as abrasive. Of course if they have the right to be abrasive, I also have the right to tell them so...
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ban the Forum? Reply with quote

anecak wrote:
Does anybody get weary of the same know-it-all nimrods posting answers to any and every discussion subject that comes across the forum, as if they know the answer to everything? They obviously have way too much time on their hands. Just curious.

WTF do you think a forum is? Do you also hate the sky being blue, plants being green and milk being white? Personally I hate when I tune in to talk radio and some idiot is giving his opinion...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: