myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Newbie looking for a SUP/Windsurf board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curriervp1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Newbie looking for a SUP/Windsurf board Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've never been on a SUP before but the idea of paddling around the various pieces of water in San Diego is intriguing. I'm looking for a non-aggressive board that I can just tool around on. I found this on craigslist- http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/4530168480.html

Would that be a decent beginner board to use as a SUP or windsurfer?

Thanks so much!
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board might be a bit tippy for SUP given its narrowness, but it should be great for learning windsurfing. The price is certainly attractive, but you should determine if the kit includes the universal and boom. Both are necessary components to windsurf the board, particularly the OEM universal. If you have to buy a new boom, it would run you $175-250 for an aluminum one. Buying an OEM universal might be difficult. Often, one can make a Chinook or Streamlined brand universal work, but you will lose any on-the-fly sliding mast track feature (it would be fixed in place once attached). A new Chinook or Streamlined universal runs about $65-75.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 with swchandler, too narrow, too old, hard to get parts. SUP is more fun than you think it is, go rent a board and try it, then you'll be more willing to buy something more appropriate. There's lots of boards that can double as an SUP and windsurfer. I have a Bic Techno 295 that works just fine for both, 85 cm. wide, and will accept modern rigs. No, I'm not selling it, just giving an example.

If you're normal-sized (not fat) look for 30"-32" (76-81cm.) width and at least 150 liters of floatation.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overlook the SeaLion. Use the SEARCH function to find threads on it.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ good advise, go try one first to determine the size board you need as it's very dependent upon your weight, that board could work if you are under #150 lbs.
On a side note it's pretty clever to market old windsurf boards that may be junk as a SUP. My friend sold a WS board this way, I said there is no market for WS boards here and you will never sell it, well he just listed it as a SUP and someone was very happy to give him $100, even little sinker boards can be labeled a children's SUP
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that same board. I weight 200 and the board is fine for SUP on FLAT water, but difficult at my weight in any chop or swell. It windsurfs very well in light wind.

Make sure that the hardware connecting the mast to the board is available. It is a mechanical universal joint. I preferred to convert it to the newer Europin standard and it was rather easy. You can start with the original OEM system, it will work fine too. It just won't be compatible with newer sails.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Diego. Light winds.

To learn windsurfing, you want to find a Kona board. Long, easy to learn on, and you can paddle that.

When you get a taste of sailing in stronger winds, you will find that you want a light wide board that will plane as early as possible - a Formula board or something close to it.

find the good windsurfers in your area, and talk to them about what works.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in San Diego, too and just picked up SUP-ing a month ago. I got a Starboard Avanti SUP, partly because it's big and wide enough to support me (I'm a big, tall guy) but also because it has a windsurf mast mount. One thing I've learned, is that for SUP-ing, wider boards help when learning to paddle. Go to "OEX" and demo a couple boards. They have locations on the water in Mission Bay and Point Loma and demos are free. I demoed a bunch of boards before I learned what size worked for me.

Almost all the windsurfers here are on formula boards. I don't think a formula board would work for SUP but if you want to go fast in light winds they can't be beat.

I've met two other guys who are into WindSUP-ing. FYI, we're forecast to get some wind later this week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: