myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
River Mung?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to dig some "toe jam" out from under my big toenail and broke the skin on the edge accidentally. That black splooge got in the cut and infected it, later requiring a 1:00 AM trip to the E.R. (painful!!!) so they could cut the nail & drain it, followed by a week of antibiotics. Spoiled the last three days of a good windsurf trip to the Delta. Are you guys being careful cutting your nails?

Now I always cut my toenails two weeks before a windsurf trip so that if it does become infected I have time to cure it.

CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
I was trying to dig some "toe jam" out from under my big toenail and broke the skin on the edge accidentally. That black splooge got in the cut and infected it, later requiring a 1:00 AM trip to the E.R. (painful!!!) so they could cut the nail & drain it, followed by a week of antibiotics. Spoiled the last three days of a good windsurf trip to the Delta. Are you guys being careful cutting your nails?

Now I always cut my toenails two weeks before a windsurf trip so that if it does become infected I have time to cure it.

Nice, best "toe jam" story I've heard in awhile. Thanks for sharing.

spennie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of service! Wanna see the picture of my boil?
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Jam Reply with quote

This June at Rowena, I went on and on to a windsurf tourist about keeping my toenails short so that they won't dig into the neighboring toes and cause a problem such as infection. She thought I was crazy.

Since staph aureus is in the dirt, as well as on and in humans, it would stand to reason that dirt moving as runoff into streams and the river would result in a high concentration of staph aureus in the Columbia River (in the springtime especially). I bet that humans release quite a bit of bacteria into the water, especially in zones of high human concentration. Every skin cell lost would be a little universe of bacteria.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: