myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New freemove boards?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if trying will make your choice easier-it's the opposite with me anyway Sad It's fun to try new kits though, I never miss a chance to do it bothering locals and visitors sometimes Embarassed
The way I look at it a 2 boards quiver something like ~140/130+ 110 will cover you from 5.5 to 8.5 and beyond/ but you have a formula board aswell/. Behind a break wall is really forgiving-we have a long one here and it's my favorite place -mirror flat water; chop and sometimes big waves just next to each other ,I love it -you can be never with the wrong kit! It works with the N directions only though for the S ones I'm limited to a small lake /gusty Sad/ or over 2 hr drive.
Looking forward to your comparison between the Gecko and the Firemove. I realize that with different body types everyones experience may vary significantly-110 and 5.5 for you is probably what's 90 and 4.5 for me...or maybe not Confused
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvogelsang wrote:
there is enough fetch that it gets really bumpy in 5.5

My point is that if there's enough chop to notice, smaller (primarily because they're narrower and more maneuverable) boards provide a much softer ride ... something you'll really appreciate when you actually start getting old. Very Happy

115L, even in an old-school board noted for its smooth ride and good carving and with extra padding under my heels, feels HUGE and unwieldy to me when powered up on a 6.2 in significant chop.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso said:
Quote:
My point is that if there's enough chop to notice, smaller (primarily because they're narrower and more maneuverable) boards provide a much softer ride ... something you'll really appreciate when you actually start getting old.

Point well made, and for those that don't have to deal with a sinking board in huge lulls, narrower is better.

If I am in gusty conditions* (almost always), I won't go out on a sinker, but will chose a board that I can stand on in the lulls without too much of a struggle. Obviously, a narrow board with enough volume to keep from sinking will work, but I think the newer designs that are wider, will plane up quicker, keep you on plane longer & are more stable in the lulls have a place for many sailors, especially those in gusty conditions*. The price you pay is a bumpier ride. I should note that it's not just width that contributes to the bumpy ride, it's really the bottom shape or lack of V in the hull. Flat bottom (little rocker and no V) boards are fast, but NOT smooth in the chop. It doesn't take much of a V to smooth out the ride.

*Gusty conditions for me = 15-25mph day on a 6.0. These days will have some 5 mph lulls.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15-25 average with lulls to 5 is nice steady wind by my local standards. I don't own gear for the 15 (that would be at least 125L and at least an 8.0), but at 20 mph average I can start using a 6.2 and mid-90s if the holes aren't too frequent or deep. When I go in to grab a smaller sail, I also grab a smaller board, because both the chop and the swell are increasing to the point they become advantageous, IMO.

When I (and the magazines and the guys here) say "wider is rougher", we imply that everything else -- rocker, vee, etc. -- is held constant. I won't own a board without a hull built for a good ride, whether it's vee, concaves, a small tail, or all three. My newest (2014) 95L board emphasizes a full length rocker, a bit more length and a bit narrower beam than them potato chips, and a small wingered tail and a tiny fin. It rides like a Lazy Boy and plays like a puppy on a sugar high when under power in the swell and chop in 6.2 winds. I don't have access to acres of smooth water or steady winds, and a rough ride -- besides simply sucking --obscures my vision, so ride quality is paramount to me.

As I've said many times, today's stubbies, like the more traditional shapes, have their own sets of pros and cons. My sailing style preferences favor the more traditional shapes, and hardly a day goes by without seeing someone here whose stated needs or goals match trads better than stubbies. In many of those instances, the sailors just don't know the difference and presume that newer is inherently better. They're the ones who stand to benefit the most from seeing discussions like this one of differing opinions and preferences.
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm warming up to the idea that the volume for a high wind board /no down the line wave riding!/ can be based on the simple formula: riders weight in kg +10=the boards volume which for a 215Lb man will indeed be a 110L. In case you want to use it as a weight loss motivational tool get a size smaller Smile
Now for what type of a board to choose- it depends of what you want to do. A given volume will float you the same in the lules, but the wider the board the more stable it will be and better the chances for the less experienced to stay dry. Still, there comes the point where stability becomes boredom and I agree that a boring high wind board makes no sense. In my mind the short and wide "freemoves" have always been moderate to medium wind boards to be sailed with 4 footstraps-a freerace board alternative if you want and I'm convinced now that they are better at that then the official freerace boards.
For maneuver heavy, B&J type sailing even without a hint of waveriding I agree with Isobars-there are better alternatives. Unless of course-straight line blasting and racing with the pals is your one and only thing ; all of your rigs are blasting biased and you have a body of water flat enough to do it in comfort then the freemove would be a good choice again, but you still may consider the Allride, the Hawk or the Starship for example as an alternative-which are somewher in-between the freemoves and the FSWs.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
I'm warming up to the idea that the volume for a high wind board /no down the line wave riding!/ can be based on the simple formula: riders weight in kg +10=the boards volume which for a 215Lb man will indeed be a 110L.

Lessee ... at 205# my weight in kg was 93 kg. You couldn't PAY me to ride a board of 103L in high winds (say 5.0 or smaller) on any terrain higher than my calves. For decent 5.0 winds I demand 80L or less; in "high" winds ... say 30 mph or stronger, I want 72 or less. And that applies to lakes, ponds, oceans, bays, rivers, etc., in CA, Maui, or Arkansas; even before I could jibe; as long as it's not offshore.
SPQR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 195 -200 lbs and had an opportunity to sail a Firemove 110 in moderate wind (at least for the SF Bay) 18 - 20 knots on a number of occasions. It was the easiest board to sail that I have ever been on and I have 35 years of experience sailing the SF Bay and surrounding coastal area. That said once I tried a 5.5 sail on a flood tide at Coyote Pt. I couldn't have picked a worse board to sail that day, the chop and the wide board made for a horrible ride on a port tack, or leaving the beach. If it's windy enough for me to sail with a 5.5 (many folks were on 4.7's or smaller) I would take my Naish Wave or Fanatic Freewave any day. They will sail great regardless of chop or tide as long as there is sufficient wind. But on a light day, and with a outgoing tide the Firemove is a great board, goes right through the lulls, planes up quickly and jibes much better than I ever would have thought a wide board would.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, wide boards are indeed easy, but incredibly boring. And, they don't work well in confused steep chop compared to narrower boards.
Of course, TOO narrow is the opposite problem. Really fun to sail well, but very hard to sail efficiently.
Too narrow is around 52cm on a board intended for 6.5 sails.
Too wide is around 66 cm's on a board intended for 6.5 sails.
But I'm only 155lbs.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you don't mean 62 cm wide? There can't be too many 52 cm wide boards out there intended for a 6.5 sail. Not even the speed needles.

Coachg
justall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
... as long as it's not offshore.

What adjustments would you make to these if offshore?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: