myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New freemove boards?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your place I would stay in the RRD family. Especially for the 100 L size, where the 102 will be a perfect step down from 122. IMO the Firemoves are the closest thing to FSW boards and thus the most playfull from the freemoves, while the rest are more or less closer to slalom boards /like my AtomIQ/. Here is a link to a blog where the author seems to have arrived to the same conclusions about the Tabou Rocket Wide 108:
http://philswindsurfingblog.blogspot.com/2014/10/tabou-rocket-wide-108-first-ride.html?m=1
Or maybe consider a FSW like the 108 from RRD -fits the 5.0-7.0 sail sizes fine ?! It would be hard for me to choose between the Firemoove 102 and the FSW 108 -they both seem right for that sails range.
I hope you support your exercise with a diet aswell. I realized that dinners are the most guilty of putting weight on me and now most of my dinners consist of a bowl of diet popcorn and a bottle of beer Laughing /I have an apple and a protein bar between lunch and dinner aswell/.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
In your place I would stay in the RRD family. Especially for the 100 L size, where the 102 will be a perfect step down from 122. IMO the Firemoves are the closest thing to FSW boards and thus the most playfull from the freemoves, while the rest are more or less closer to slalom boards /like my AtomIQ/. Here is a link to a blog where the author seems to have arrived to the same conclusions about the Tabou Rocket Wide 108:
http://philswindsurfingblog.blogspot.com/2014/10/tabou-rocket-wide-108-first-ride.html?m=1
Or maybe consider a FSW like the 108 from RRD -fits the 5.0-7.0 sail sizes fine ?! It would be hard for me to choose between the Firemoove 102 and the FSW 108 -they both seem right for that sails range.
I hope you support your exercise with a diet aswell. I realized that dinners are the most guilty of putting weight on me and now most of my dinners consist of a bowl of diet popcorn and a bottle of beer Laughing /I have an apple and a protein bar between lunch and dinner aswell/.

Very interesting information. So what I gather is that the Rocket Wide would have been a better choice in the larger size around 120 lt for an all-around blasting board 7.5 - 6.5 board with its cut outs, and the Firemove a bit more playful and easier in the smaller sizes. But we might be splitting hairs a bit?

BTW, I will try your diet suggestion! Good stuff.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Because of the reduced thickness I think, the freemoves ride deeper in the water -like a board with deep concaves. That's the reason it feels smooth and in control regardless of the extra width and fast rocker. Before the AtomiQ my flat water board was a RRD Firerace 112 so I know what a bumpy ride is. With most of its volume in the back, virtually flat hull and tiny footpads it was fast but hard to control below 6.5 and not comfortable at all. Not so with the AtomIQ -it's thinner; the volume is spread around; there is some V/increasing gradually towards the back/ and the "sponge" pads are soft as slippers -no problem with the 5.8/a lifty crossover 5 batten sail/ in the small lake or behind the break wall and Im sure I would be fine with a 5.5 freerace sail like the Cheetah /and a smaller fin/ even though I'm just 165Lb. The added bonus is the stability and ability to cary larger sails which is beneficial for big guys IMO. It's just the overlap of the 120 and 110 that I see here as an issue, but you can ditch the 120 if it becomes redundant.
You are right about the Allride I guess -thick and relatively flat underneath it will be quite bouncy I'd imagine. The Starship-another one with rather classic dimensions -on the other hand has very deep concaves wich make it slow but smooth I've read.
My priorities are turning towards jumping now so Im looking into the FSWs for a strong wind board-placing my bets on a Kode 86 to be my jumping machine /not as hardcore as a freestyle board/. Once I dial in the "Forward" then maybe I'll switch to a fast wave board to start indulging in some wave riding too. We are spoiled for choice nowadays-even picky Isobars was able to find a modern board to his liking as far as I know Wink .
PS: Oh and btw if you set up the board with 3 footstraps and keep your weight over your front foot at all times going over high chop will be a lot easier-no spinouts. In this case it may be a good idea to also replace the Cheetah with a stable wave sail like the Tiger for example for better handling and less back foot pressure. I think 5.5 calls for a dedicated board Confused With some weight -loosing effort you may make a 100L work and keep the 120 as a freerace for 6.5/7.5 and the formula for the bigger ones. Makes sense, no?!

Yes, this makes the most sense. But I don't often do what makes the most sense. Very Happy
adywind

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite alright, as long as you are having fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: