myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cost to ship a board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Cost to ship a board Reply with quote

I'm considering shipping a 10' board from Florida to North Carolina (about 600 miles). If I take it on the plane with me, it'll be $75 but it comes with some logistics difficulties, so I'd prefer to mail it. Any idea how much it would cost?
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Estes Trucking. Fox WaterSports shipped a board from their shop in the OBX to Buffalo, Ny several years ago.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 foot is longer than I think a board can be taken as checked bag gassed.

If you have a genuine quote for it, using the demintions for 75, aside from the pita it will be , that's cheap.

You said, mail but you probably mean, a currier like FedEx, I am certain that FedEx FREIGHT WOULD SHIP IT, you would be cheaper using a trucking freight co, like mentioned above.

Once the article reaches a certain length in inches it is not ship able using regular methods. So freight. There are exceptions for companies that have a negotiated contract with RX FEDEX , UPS...

I would see if someone traveling that route may be able to take it for you

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most carrier's require a commercial shipper's address before taking on cargo for a decent price. Hard for private people to get that status. Check with the carriers.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a board shipped to me in Louisiana from Florida using Amtrak. Not sure if 10' is too long. You can check at their site. It was $70.00, and I just picked it up at the train station. Might be worth a look.
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I may go with the carry it on the plane route. I can transport the board on my crossbars to the airport, but what's the best way to pack it? I'm pretty sure a 10' box won't fix in the vehicle I'm traveling in.

I wonder if they're any more gentle with "Special Luggage" that you pay extra for? The board is durable and isn't in the best cosmetic shape, but I wouldn't want any damage from things being tossed on it while loading.

I'm flying Southwest and they don't mention any size limits:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

Quote:
Wind surfing board, keel removed and placed in checked baggage to prevent damage to the sail, boom, and other baggage.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider buying a softrack for those times where you rent a car, like on vacation. They're inexpensive, very compact, and usually come in small storage bag when not in use. When you rent a car, be sure to get a 4 door, since they will provide a longer bearing surface that will reduce problems driving around, especially if freeway driving is anticipated.

I would definitely box up and bubble pack the board. You can always create a suitable box using larger boxes that bicycles, refrigerators or cooking ranges come in. Be sure to remove the fin, and maybe the footstraps too to give you a thinner, more streamlined container.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the sporting good/ windsurf boards on the SouthWest link.

I would call to verify that the length is acceptable.
Again 75 dollars is a great price.

Boxed would be best, 2nd would be in a padded bag.

I worked for United Airlines, we tried to be tender with items like this, more than regular cases.

SW accepts poles for pole vaulting , without length restriction, we once shipped one secured inside the cabin along side the seats on the floor, we also transported a WEDDING CAKE

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW. I called ( inquiring minds want to know) Southwest and they confirming NO SIZE RESTRICTION on windsurf boards.

I have a inkling that 10 foot may be too long, but we used to get quite creative in loading the cargo/ baggage pits. In that it's too long for 1 pit section, but load so it stretches between the pits, pits being the cargo areas, SW should have 6 of these, 3 fore 3 aft

If you do this again I would at the very least put it in a bag with some packing around the nose n tail.

It would probably be easier to ship via freight, pack it in OBX, and have it picked up.then delivered to either a local depot, you can either then pick it up or delivered to you. It may be less to pick up.

LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
FWIW. I called ( inquiring minds want to know) Southwest and they confirming NO SIZE RESTRICTION on windsurf boards.

I have a inkling that 10 foot may be too long, but we used to get quite creative in loading the cargo/ baggage pits. In that it's too long for 1 pit section, but load so it stretches between the pits, pits being the cargo areas, SW should have 6 of these, 3 fore 3 aft

If you do this again I would at the very least put it in a bag with some packing around the nose n tail.

It would probably be easier to ship via freight, pack it in OBX, and have it picked up.then delivered to either a local depot, you can either then pick it up or delivered to you. It may be less to pick up.

I appreciate the info. I decided against board on the plane route because of logistics. I wouldn't be able to fit in the car that is picking me up on the plane and would have to drive back out.

But I may still pack a rig and take it on the plane.

Here's a good article on packing surfboards on a plane:
http://www.theinertia.com/surf/how-to-pack-a-surfboard-in-6-steps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: