myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to make a narrow board more stable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: How to make a narrow board more stable? Reply with quote

I have an old Malibu Mistral that is 24" wide. I'm new to the sport and up hauling is tricky with it along with other tacking. Is there any way I can make the board more stable until I get more used to it? Like put in a massive dagger board or rig something up?

I enjoy paddle boarding on it although it does get tricky if it's choppy.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big homemade daggerboard.
Outrigger(s) or "training wheels".
Pool noodles taped or tied to your rails.
Borrow a wider board.
Practice.
Uphauling and tacking technique.

When uphauling, for example, your rig is your counterbalance. Don't ever reach for your boom, for example. Instead, bring it all the way to you before grasping it with your front hand, ditto for your back hand. You should always be in stasis, in static balance, throughout the whole uphaul/grasp/sheet in/sail away process.

Just the opposite ultimately worked best for me in tacking, however. I jumped from one side to the other, but that was long after I was uphauling easily.

Mike \m/
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pool noodle idea! Also keep your feet over the center line of the board when up hauling. You have great balance if you can paddle this thing.
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about the pool noodle thing too.

Or with a bit of PVC pipe and a few other materials I could make something like this - http://www.w2d.com/mermaid/windsurfer.html
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lakesurf,

If you can stand-up-paddle a Malibu, my hat is off to you. I do not think you need the training wheels if you have that good of a balance. I would do like the above posters said: Practice with your feet over the centerline. Toes should be on one side of the imaginary centerline, heels on the other. Toe pressure or heel pressure corrects the imbalance. You will be uphauling in no time if you follow the previous comments.

W1
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the mid 80s, you had to learn on what is now considered to be a very narrow boards. It's still very doable with ample length (11.5') and an extended daggerboard, as long as you have sufficient volume (180 liters and up). With the Mistral Malibu, if I recollect right, it might be as little as 165 liters. At 165 liters, it is still doable, but it's a lot tougher in the beginning. The key to learning the basics is using a small sail, like a 4.0-4.5. You'll never plane in light winds, but you will learn how to uphaul, transition to grabbing the boom, sail out, tack and sail back. The first day you'll fall in a lot. I probably fell 40-50 times the first day until I figured everything out, but by the end of the session I had it down, and could repeatedly sail out and return to the same spot. The most important thing is to be determined and keep your cool by having light and upbeat attitude. You have to able to laugh a bit at yourself, and avoid getting too frustrated and pissed off.

Remember, it's all about practice and keeping your cool. Think smart and you'll be over the hump in no time at all.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't offer a way to make the board either wider or appear wider.

Perhaps lose some weight...?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: