myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing after hip replacement surgery
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monday

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing after hip replacement surgery Reply with quote

Just found out that I need hip replacement surgery. Has anyone had experience with windsurfing post-op? I'm a 60-year old female, weighing 123 lbs and sail in choppy conditions on a shortboard. I hate the thought of being out of the game permanently and could use some encouraging words.
Also, I'm open to recommendations: surgeons, gel-injection therapy, etc.

Monday
carl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There a gal who has very similar circumstances as you, who sails SF bay at Coyote Pt (shortboard and also choppy conditions). She had the surgury last year and sailed most of the season this year. She does post on here occasionally, maybe she'll have something to add (but it is off-season now in Calif). It probably wouldn't be wise to do loops, big jumps or Vulcans, but regular intermediate sailing is certainly doable.
spider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick with it. the road to recovery is a long and sometimes depressing but worth it. like today my bros are all sailing in epic conditions on the east coast. i am not because of 2 knee surgeries. i have not been able to sail as much because i am still healing. but don't do what i did. that is i went sailing after the first surgery and blew up the knee again because i wanted to jump and went squirrely. you will have to listen to the small wise voice inside that says back off, enough fun today. do all your physical therapy. while doing your pt keep reminding yourself that the end justifies the means. the reward for me was 2 weeks sailing in maui. and it was great. and make sure to check around for a doctor who have a good rep repairing people who are active.
i tried all the supplements , pt, voodoo, you name it. no luck here. all the injections are band aids.
hang in there i have a bro that is playing tennis after hip replacement surgery.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know two guys who windsurf in big conditions on artificial hips. Greg has two, Randy one and counting, and both enjoy nuke days in the Gorge. Randy jumps a lot, Greg does less jumping but otherwise sails hard and well. Randy is also an obsessive hiker, mountain biker, snow boarder, etc. Both are retired and spend much of the year in their vans sailing wherever the wind takes them around the U.S. Randy figures ten years on a set of hips and do it again; don't know how long Greg expects on a pair.

\m/
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Hip Replacement Reply with quote

I had a business partner in his seventies who had a hip replaced by a surgeon who performed it at some hospital in Fremont that had a whole wing for this type of surgery. Different folks in there for surgery had different docs all doing different techniques. There is apparently a multitude of ways of doing the surgery.

My partner's doc replaced the hip with a stainless steel ball joint and teflon, I believe. It was through an opening that left only a 1 and 3/4 inch scar that was not bad at all. I do not see how they can get the replacement piece through a hole so small. My partner was up and walking with a walker less than two days after surgery. Then a cane. Then good to go. All within a very short number of weeks. I was amazed.

Some in the hospital with different docs and different techniques were not planning on walking for over a month.
madmax7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Hip Reply with quote

Hey Monday, I put off hip replacement for 10 years... scared of having to give up wsurfing, but finally the pain got so bad I could only sail 15 mins at a time and end up with tremendous pain.

Last year I decided to get the hip done and found a new procedure called hip resurfacing. Dr. Amstutz in LA did my surgery, its better than hip replacement, it saves the femoral bone and it has less chance of dislocations. I went back to sailing 4 months after surgery and my jibes are smoother than before ( I have more hip flex). Now I can sail 3 to 4 hours at a time without pain...

Best wishes, Max.
Ps there's a hip resurfacing website called "surfacehippy" check it out. Lots of very knowledgeable folks that have done their hips and will answer any questions you may have.
lizardhill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Yes You Can! Reply with quote

I had total hip replacement of my right hip last November. I too worried that I would not have the range of motion to waterstart on both reaches, as this would be the most limiting factor. Range of motion is the key, as the replacement is a very strong joint ( if your bones are strong ). I walked the day after surgery with a cane. a week later with no cane. Two weeks later rode my bicycle (very flat, very easy). Worked a month after surgery. Skied three months after. Lots and Lots of walking.
Last summer I sailed in Maui and the Gorge, and last week before the fires sailed 50-60 MPH gusts here in Castaic. I have had no ill effects and can waterstart on both reaches (no worries about Vulcans from me).
The rehab is very important because they must sever and reattach many ligaments to accomplish the replacement. There are also partial replacements and Birmingham Hip Resurfacing which are less invasive.
If you are anywhere in Southern California I would highly recommend Dr. Herbert Huddleston in Sherman Oaks. Even if you are not local to him, go to his Website HIPSANDKNEES.COM, it is very informative.
The appliance itself is very important as there are several different
kinds. I have a "sports hip" wich has a bigger ball than other hips which gives a greater range of motion. This should be a lengthy discussion with your doctor and make sure he/she understands the amount of activity you wish to continue.
You are likely in a great amount of pain, and the surgery will almost totaly eliminate this. I figure I should have had the surgery two years earlier to eliminate needless pain. My doctor says this is a very common
sentiment after surgery.
I do think a little more about the risk I take in any of my sports but that doesn't stop me from playing. I think those fellows will get a lot more than ten years from thier hips if they stay fit.
Good luck!
ramps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like prosthetic hip technology is very far along, but not the same for knees. I would be interested to hear from people who have had knee(s) replaced and are active. I will soon be a candidate for a knee, but since I don't have a lot of pain yet will put it off as long as possible. We'll see how this winter's ski season treats it. From what I have read, knees do not fare as well as hips when it comes to sports that load up the knee a lot like skiing, and once the replacement knee goes, the next one will not be as successful. Of course there are stories about guys that have skied hard for 10 years on the replacement knee with no problem, etc. etc.
Monday

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Yes You Can! Reply with quote

lizardhill wrote:
I had total hip replacement of my right hip last November. I too worried that I would not have the range of motion to waterstart on both reaches, as this would be the most limiting factor. Range of motion is the key, as the replacement is a very strong joint ( if your bones are strong ). I walked the day after surgery with a cane. a week later with no cane. Two weeks later rode my bicycle (very flat, very easy). Worked a month after surgery. Skied three months after. Lots and Lots of walking.
Last summer I sailed in Maui and the Gorge, and last week before the fires sailed 50-60 MPH gusts here in Castaic. I have had no ill effects and can waterstart on both reaches (no worries about Vulcans from me).
The rehab is very important because they must sever and reattach many ligaments to accomplish the replacement. There are also partial replacements and Birmingham Hip Resurfacing which are less invasive.
If you are anywhere in Southern California I would highly recommend Dr. Herbert Huddleston in Sherman Oaks. Even if you are not local to him, go to his Website HIPSANDKNEES.COM, it is very informative.
The appliance itself is very important as there are several different
kinds. I have a "sports hip" wich has a bigger ball than other hips which gives a greater range of motion. This should be a lengthy discussion with your doctor and make sure he/she understands the amount of activity you wish to continue.
You are likely in a great amount of pain, and the surgery will almost totaly eliminate this. I figure I should have had the surgery two years earlier to eliminate needless pain. My doctor says this is a very common
sentiment after surgery.
I do think a little more about the risk I take in any of my sports but that doesn't stop me from playing. I think those fellows will get a lot more than ten years from thier hips if they stay fit.
Good luck!
Monday

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very encouraging.....now, can anyone recommend a surgeon that can give me what I need in the Tampa Bay area? Traveling to California, Minnesota, British Columbia, Germany (some recent recommendations) are not affordable. I need to find an excellent local surgeon who takes Blue Cross/Blue Shield. It would be nice to find one who windsurfs and knows its demands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: