myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
School me on wave sails, looking for a 5.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacspeed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive found if its versatility and tunability you want, it's hard to beat the Lofts. They are light, playful, and have a truly massive usable wind range. DOwnside to the flexibility is they are not super durable, so they get kinda clapped out after a couple of seasons.

I've moved on to Naish Forces, which I love since they feel quite powerful for their size. They're a bit stiffer and not as rangy, but my current go-to 5.3 is on it's 5th season and still going strong.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would likely become my goto sail and will see lots of white water washing. I like to keep my gear for a long time (unless it sucks!) I've been enjoying fully powered 4.7 days and the non power wave feels easy to control with a soft pull. Maybe when I get better I will benefit from having more power?
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacspeed wrote:

I've moved on to Naish Forces, which I love since they feel quite powerful for their size. They're a bit stiffer and not as rangy, but my current go-to 5.3 is on it's 5th season and still going strong.

The Naish Force 5.3 is probably the most versatile sail I've ever owned. I find they have plenty of range. I use two downhaul settings (spec, and spec plus 1/2 inch more if the gusts are pounding or I'm always overpowered) and then use the outhaul to dial in my pocket. For me the Force (I have several) always feels light...they balance well for my geometry (5'11" 162lbs). I use it for waves, bay sailing, flatwater, and freestyle.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the numbers you keep sharing with us manuel are very low for using a 5.4 sail. at 212 lbs, i need a 6.8 to sail a 105 liter or larger wave board.

one of the tricks i've learned is to down haul the fugg out of my sails when i'm lit and keep the outhaul, counter intuitive, relatively full. still apply tension to the o/h, but don't flatten the sail. as gusts hit, or the additive apparent wind increases as one is on the wave with side off, the draft remains the same or even pulls forward a bit.

how? the sail twists off better at lower o/h tensions, draft can remain stable.

if you remember to have the sail lead you thru cutbacks and bottom turns this discomfort you are feeling may go away some?

my phantoms have a good deal of draft in them shaped down low. my charges have a bit less. they are both more juicy than most anything on the market to help with our crappy onshore conditions. yet, they tune well when a squall comes along and surprises.

dunno what else to say.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100kg guys are on 6+, 90kg on 5.8s.

The reef can have holes (side on) where it's nice to have a pocket but a pocket + 177cm boom = lots of leverage.

And I agree with you, I'd rather have a non tight outhaul than to deal with a door.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a used Goya Eclipse 2013 in 5.0 locally. Reviews seem excellent and build quality quite nice, it's the pro model. Seems like a good option.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never sailed any of Goya's sails, I have a friend that does. His quiver consisted of a mix of Goya Gurus and Eclipses, with the latter being his two biggest sails (5.3 and 5.7 if I remember correctly). He indicated that the Eclipses were heavy on the backhand, and they were not as sweet for DTL wave riding. He definitely indicated that in his next purchase he would go 100% for the less powerful Gurus. As I've said earlier, I'm thinking that you would be better satisfied with a true DTL wave sail rather than another power wave design similar to your Neil Pryde Alpha.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to avoid getting the same undesired pull for sure.
Apparently, it's not as bad and especially not after 2012.
I will try to test it tomorrow and see what I can get out of it.

This is a report out of 2012: http://www.boardseekermag.com/gear-reviews/5-3m-power-wave-sails-2012/products/goya-eclipse-2012

And 2013: http://www.windsurf.co.uk/test/goya-2013-eclipse-pro-5-3-m-sail-test-review-report/

EDIT: First test today, the sail does pull but is way more balanced for my size. It's nice on jumps and flips itself at the jibe without having to wrestle it around. It might be not as stable as the Pryde but is much more stable than my 4.7. It always has power in the back hand to get out of sections or take off on a plane easily. Powerwise it does feel bigger than 5.0 but weightwise or in maneuvers it feels more normal. So now I need to find a nice outhaul setting to make it more neutral especially when powered.

EDIT2: Today, I rigged the sail ignoring the downhaul arrow indicator. Basically setup the mast length to recommended setting, tighten until I get the desired twist (normally matching battens 1/2 in front of mast), finally adjusted outhaul to my power requirement and voilą! Now I have a beautifully balance sail which feels light, has tons of grunt but is discrete in transitions. Very satisfied!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: