myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waist harness fit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just trying to mow the lawn in a controlled fashion, getting in and out of the straps, going as fast as I can and trying to keep from getting launched, that's my primary focus, a planing jibe is something to wish for in the future...
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
I'm just trying to mow the lawn in a controlled fashion, getting in and out of the straps, going as fast as I can and trying to keep from getting launched, that's my primary focus, a planing jibe is something to wish for in the future...

IMO, that's a very sound, realistic, fundamental, initial path towards success. I've heard countless people say they're just a heartbeat away from carving planing jibes, when in fact they are barely planing on their best days. Such blind optimism can be a good thing in simpler quests, but not when it leads to such frustration that they give up the sport altogether, as I've seen many do expressly for that reason. Until we are comfortable and competent at those basics and more, carving planing jibes on anything but perfectly flat water is an occasional (if ever) fluke, not a realistic goal.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your style is sitting, cranking a waist harness so you can't breath isn't the answer. You need to lean back and not sit. You need to leave it loose enough to breath with no restriction and adjust your lines and boom to match your new non sitting style.

One great benefit of the waist harness is that on harness rides you should no longer go head first and crack your back. If you're quick you go in feet first and land on your butt or, your body will swing around to feet first. It's a much softer landing.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno what you are talking about westender. if one gets a foot in the straps first, one virtually never gets thrown over.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After another sail in the waisty my observation is that it has never once tried to slip upward on me, but I'm not jumping hooked in either.
It seems to be a more interactive sail with the WH, especially with my legs. The legs seem so much more involved compared to when using the SH, I really feel the resistance pulling from the harness transmitted thru the hips, legs, and feet, even toes. The legs are really pushing back now.
I remember being in the SH sailing along and observing that the leg straps were really tensioned, keeping the harness from sliding up and wondering how that was going to work without them before I bought the WH but my stance must be really different now for the WH to work without riding up.
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waist is just easier
Unless you wanna feel like you are strappin on

It doesn't really matter......but when you throw a waist harness into the back of your vehicle, it kinda feels like you are a ranch-hand throwin a saddle over your horse

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
when you throw a waist harness into the back of your vehicle, it kinda feels like you are a ranch-hand throwin a saddle over your horse

When I throw my butt bucket and attached bull-riding vest into my Subaru along with all the other crap, it kinds feels like I'm wrestling the horse into my vehicle. Sad
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw the video
WaterKook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread should be morphed with the thread about why such a decline in windsurfing. Shocked
amphibiousrodent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try and keep my waist harness loose enough to droop down below my waist so I can breath good but not too good. If you can take 6 deep breaths in a row it's too loose. I also use bungee cord suspenders to keep in all in place...the green ones as the yellow are too stiff and chaffe my nipples. Also try and sail in a crooked '1' stance instead of a '7' stance. If none of this works try kiting...much easier to keep waist harness in place with the mandatory PFD.

Hope this helps

Rodent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: