myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waist harness fit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeezing ain't good- to be sure.. yes, my hips are closer to the sail than my shoulders- I have long arms.. so I think it's a situational issue as well as a learning curve-- 90% of the time I don't have problems with it riding up.. well, except jumping hooked in.. after some landings I have to tug it down- and I know I'm not alone in this- so it comes down to changing my approach to overpowered conditions.. probably can't get away with sailing so lit as I could with a seat..
But, I also was hoping for feedback on different brands/ models of waist harnesses- my experience is only with one.. I went through at least 4 seat styles- they're fairly different in feel- wouldn't that hold true for waist?Thanks again
fanatik

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: nexus :( Reply with quote

I figured out i did not like my nexus. I used a T3 which was better, the point I want to make is this: I used a medium, and should have opted for Large. Once I switched to large, the hole strap arrangement worked better. the strap connection was too far apart on a medium, and causing the hook to move around more. Not sure if it applies, but worth looking into. I use longer harness lines now too. Good luck. Try and borrow a T-5 or 6, see if that makes a difference (especially larger than what you have).
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good info- pretty sure mine is large enough- I have to really pull the belt to get it tight- I'll see if I can demo a different one..
WaterKook

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bernd Roediger is having trouble with his waist harness riding up as well. (only when he is upside down though!)
Laughing

npiankov

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are cool pics! Looks like a seat harness to me. Smile
dllee

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your booms are too low, and you adopt the correct waist harness stance, your harness will be pulled DOWN towards your hips.
pete1111

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the new look Wink
WaterKook

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for Bernd the harness is just hanging there in case he needs it at some point but most likely not.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I am wondering if body shape doesn't have a lot of influence on "riding up". I "hear" about waist harnesses riding up all the time,
but I almost never experience it myself.

Maybe some shapes are better candidates for a seat harness and some
are better for a waist harness.

You may be onto something. I have heard that a waist harness actually requires a waist. A beer belly, something occasionally seen on 50-year old guys, makes the harness want to move. That's my problem - a waist harness tends to ride up on me. My lower ribs hurt after a longer waist harness session.

But learning how to use a waist harness is definitely a worthwhile exercise, even for those of us who are a more pear-shaped than V-shaped. A waist harness promotes a straight 7 stance; a seat harness can (but does not have to) lead to a more sitting stance. My stance got better after Andy Brandt made me use a waist harness for a while.

I recently got a Dakine Chameleon harness - a waist harness with detachable seat harness attachment. Feels very different than the XT Seat harness - you definitely can feel if you're using it as a waist or as a seat harness. Pretty cool - I think...
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could just stick with the seat. i use mine in all conditions. seems like a fashion statement more than anything else????? tried quite a few waists until i just didn't want to anymore.

waist harnesses have much narrower spreaders to keep from riding up, quite often. some complain about the squeeze when they are using such.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: