myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What to be gained with a new sail?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. The general consensus is to not get a bigger sail. I think my fin might actually be a 58cm. I went back out with the 9.5 lion in marginal conditions after getting some planing time with a 6.5 on a smaller board - needless to say the smaller/lighter sail makes the whole experience more enjoyable - so easy to get spoiled. I think a better mast and boom might wake up the 9.5 a bit as James suggested.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that carbon booms for formula sails 9-12 meter are typically beefed up in the extensions and as well as everything beyond your harness lines for additional stiffness. They are HEAVY, but don't flex in the gusts.

They are NOT light! In combination with race sales with 3-5 cams and big luff sleeves, the entire rig is very heavy.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have good budget, first 64cm custom carbon (Ifju, Kashy, etc...) something on soft side. 9.5 is actually good size for that board, you can get
Avanti M2, that's the lightest race sail now. in 11 m2. But I would start with
fin, then sail if fin doesn't give you enough lift. if this still not making you happy, go for real board - formula...
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a larger size sail might not be the answer, particularly if it is a full race sail. I would look for another 9.5, but one with a bigger pocket. For example, I have an old Pryde V8, which even at 8.5 has loads of low end.

You need to keep your board, mast, boom and sail as light as possible.

A formula board would certainly help, particularly with the bigger fin. Perhaps a JP Supersonic might be worth looking into.

I have one of the original Formula boards from Starboard. It works just fine with my V8, and I weigh over 200 lbs. But, my mast and boom are very good.

I really like Ezzy sails, but for this application, there might be something better.

Instead of trying to make a huge, heavy race sail work, I think that it would be more fun to put your Lion on a Kona or some such board. Particularly if you don't already have a SUP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: