myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
small board for SF bay @ Coyote/3rd 160# rider and 4.5/5.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsurferd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: small board for SF bay @ Coyote/3rd 160# rider and 4.5/5.0 Reply with quote

opinion for bump & jump board around 76 l.

I'm looking at JP 77 FSW Pro, Fanatic FSW 76 TE
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the modern pure wave boards have flatter rockers and more width, so they can also work for maximum wind, usually with 82-85 liters, equaling the control of the 77's, but able to get you home.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm selling my 2012 tabou pocket wave 80l. It can be run as a single (b&j) or a tri (wave) and is in great shape. Works fantastic for b&J and also for small wave days. I'd let it go for a good deal. PM me if interested.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP is one of my hero's but I wouldn't buy his boards.

In todays shorter wider boards you can use 5 more liters for the same ride as yesterday. I highly recommend the Tabou, Exocet, Quatro or Goya brands. All seem to feel smaller but give you the volume you need. A modern 80 liter board can feel like a 72 liter classic.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: small board for SF bay @ Coyote/3rd 160# rider and 4.5/5.0 Reply with quote

droberts wrote:
opinion for bump & jump board around 76 l.

I'm looking at JP 77 FSW Pro, Fanatic FSW 76 TE

I am your same weight and I am not so sure I would go 76L with 4.5-5.0. I sail Coyote a lot and as you know the main possible trouble is coming back from the outside markers if the wind drops: some extra volume is a nice insurance.

With my 4.3-5.0 I have been using for years a 2008 RRD FSW 85 that works well with those sails. The RRD is just a bit unresponsive on the swell in overpowered 4.3 but now that new 85 liters boards are even shorter and probably more nimble, I am not so sure I will go smaller when I get a new board. I might get a 80-82, but not smaller than that. I'd love a 80 FSW but there is none on the market, so I will probably go custom with Flikka boards http://www.flikkaboards.com/
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goya 1....get a 78, you'll use it for EVERYTHING...
vtm81

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with Stevenbard on his recommendations especially for Tabou boards.

Oh look, there is a Tabou Freestyle 80l board for sale in the adds.... Wink
rpaillon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to have an 85 liter Sea Trend. It handled very well but felt big (like a truck) on 4.0 and 3.5 days at Tomales. I then went to a Kinetics (Jimmy Lewis) free wave 78 liter. It was the right size for all the sites in SF Bay and Tomales for high wind--3.5 to 5.0 meter sails. I weigh 155 lbs. When I compared it to a Real Wind 75 liter wave board it seemed a little stiff so I changed to the Real Wind. That board often felt a little small when trying to get planing in 5.0 conditions. After it blew off the top of my car I got a Real Wind 80 liter. That size is just right for all conditions from 4.5 down to 3.5 and also in a steady 5.0 breeze. I sometimes go to my 105 liter board with a 5.0.

I tried some newer, fatter, shorter JP and Star boards down in Baja. They're different but I doubt any better. Maybe they plane up a little faster, maybe, but they don't track as well. They feel like a car with a loose steering wheel. In spite of their loose feel they don't seem to whip around a fast turn any better--they sometimes trip over their inside rail.

To sum up--don't go less than 80 liters. If you want to feel really under control in 3.5 conditions stay smaller than 85 liters.
windsurferd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
I settled for a Quatro Thruster 82. Nice looking board,can't wait to get it on the water.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: