myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
All Around Wave Recommendations
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailwave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: All Around Wave Recommendations Reply with quote

Looking to get my first wave oriented board that is good for Santa Cruz to Ocean beach and still good for bump and jump conditions 3rd ave and Coyote. I have been riding older JP FSW 84L and 98L boards but just not happy with them in the waves anymore. The tri fin on shore wave designs that are convertible to single fin seem to be what the manufactures recommend for what I am looking for. I am 185lb ( 84kg) and been sailing 30 years. Thinking 90-100L range as I rarely seem to use my 84L anymore. Suggestions? Any to knock off this list right away?

Quatro Sphere
Goya One
RRD Firewave
JP Thruster
Fanatic Freewave
Starboard Kode Wave
Starboard Kode Freewave
Exocet XWave
Mistral Shock Wave
Naish Global
OES XWAVE

Here is a link to a summary of all these boards:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6CQB_jlA6kdVmdWRWNTXzdpZU0/view?usp=sharing
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've certainly done your homework with the full information about each of the boards. There definitely is some variety in the outline shapes, and some almost seem to be more retro in concept with the wide point decidedly forward.

The one that caught my eye from a conceptual standpoint was the Starboard Kode Wave. It's the only single fin or twinser board in the group. Being that twinser idea is arguably a more maneuverable fin setup, and the single fin mode would likely give you a sound B&J avenue, it would seem to be a "multi-purpose" board for ocean and bay venues. The real key is the nature of the rockerline for the volume you want. It's hard to do it all. One wonders whether it's a favored board of Kevin Pritchard, and how much he was involved in its development. The Starboard forum might be a way to find out more, especially if they still have the separate board that Kevin responds to.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of your list, the only one I've ridden in their current incarnations is the Naish Global. Two reaches on it left me unimpressed with its looseness compared to its wavier stablemate, the Wave; the next couple of hours on it confirmed that impression. Sure, the fat-tailed Global planes slightly earlier, and might be a tad faster on the very top end, but the Wave beat it hands down in everything else, especially slashing/jibing/rail-to-rail/comfort/EXCITEMENT ... you know ... more aggressive sailing across the board.

Tip: when powered up, the Wave sails a bit smaller than its numbers suggest ... a good thing, IMO, any place and time one wants high performance when the wind is up and slogging power when it isn't. I KNOW it's a great B&J board, it carves/slashes insanely, and I've got to believe that Naish wouldn't put his name and the word, "Wave" on a substandard DTL wave board.

If you prefer casual riding and value that last 5% of planing power over aggressive sailing, the Global makes more sense. I'd compare it pretty closely to my JP FSW. If you do or want to advance into more aggressive, dynamic, flashy, slashy windsurfing, I think you'd prefer the Wave 95, which is much closer to -- yet clearly superior to -- my Naish Wave Pro 1111.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fin boxes, in excess add weight. not many have observed this on these forums. eddy patricelli and i have noticed this phenom.

the x-wave 101 or 111 are superb as single fins for my applications in both bump and jump or any wave app. board comes with plugs for outboard fin boxes. i have been out in some sand sucking low tide, mast high stuff, and have never felt the need for the thrusters. maybe it's my style of sailing lit up? multi's steal the glide when i kick out. impede acceleration when i need it most.

jusy one beach sailor's opinion. i don't have the luxury of point breaks or reefs. channels? what the hell are those?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri-fins are best all around boards. Give yourself extra volume, because today's ones ride smaller. What sail range?
sailwave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good interesting comments.KP and Kode influence would be good research. Watched him sail up close a few times and so inspiring. Definitely want early planing over tight turn slash. Sail sizes 4.5 to 5.9 are the range of my turf.
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some have certain bias, some are all-around -definitely worth researching based on your preferences. Two good contenders are missing in your list-Tabou Pocket Wave and Fanatic Triwave get nice reviews...but so do the rest too Smile
Maybe excluding the Mistral for lack of bigger volumes? Also the FSWs to accentuate on the wave side?
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some general guidelines at 185lbs don't go too short 230cm at least. Super short works great for little guys. Wider also helps in less than ideal conditions earlier planing and easier to balance 60cm or more.
As mentioned the Kode Wave would be a good choice single fin for B&J. Twin for the waves. I have read they plane up very fast. I do know it has the wide point pretty far back which can reduce stability on big bumpy waves.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the OES would be at the top of my list for those that you placed on your list. Tri fin or single, but the fin layout is not shown.

The remained all come from Cobra in Thailand except the Mistral, Vietnam,
it could be nr 2.

I agree with the Tabou Pocket Wave, I really liked mine.

If you are considering spending 2Grand on a board, I would look at several customs.

Flikka
Witchcraft, custom or production

Nelson

the top 2 will reflect favorably in price when VAT, value added tax is removed. The Flikka is a great board and a true custom , with ALL parts made in house, except maybe screws.

I would not be put off by comments about weight, the addition of side fins when installed in production/custom boards ..well the benefits far out distance any weight gain

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rlemmens

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from anything not solely wave oriented. People seem to really like the Quattro and Goya boards. I also like the tabou da curve boards. I sail the same area and I have 92 and 103 Quattro thrusters I'm about 200 lbs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: