myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hanging on for dear life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe, i want to be as knowledgeable about gear as antione albeau. i am exposed to lots of gear, but only a fraction as much as him.

there are are racer heads dispersed aropund the windsurfing world that can help people tune most any sail. sounds like there are none near your venues? too bad. find some local (ish) races. go and mingle.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
It's always fun to ask for Kona rigging advice from people on the beach. That will show you what a bad idea it is to ask even the best sailor on the beach for advice.

I think that given Darbonne's skill level at this point, asking the best sailor on the beach for advice would be a pretty good idea.

Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is merit to what konajoe is saying.

The typical good sailor around here doesn't want anything to do with longboards. The few that don't frown on it have experience with raceboards. The Kona with it's rocker and step tail doesn't behave exactly like a raceboard so some of the advice is not great.

Same thing with the sail, the Kona sail is not exactly typical. In non-planing low wind, it is best rigged with close to zero dowhhaul...

I learned my way with a mixture of on the beach expert advice coupled with specific information from the Kona site. I also participated to a Kona regatta and learned a lot there too! I think racers are a different breed as they seem to be more open to what will work well or not.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sailed the Kona One a couple of weeks ago, and initially had problems getting it to plane nicely. It took me almost three days before I was really comfortable on it (I've been planing for more than 30 years, initially and still occasionally on long boards).

What worked for me was to pump the board a bit to get it to release onto a full plane. Then, getting into the straps seemed easy, and the ride was comfortable and fun. The technique is quite different from the one I use on my 110 l freestyle board, where I often get into both straps before accelerating. I had no problem with the default fin (46 cm, I believe), but I'm close to 200 lb. The only time the board really wanted to kick me off by railing up was when racing towards the finish line with the dagger board down and a big gust hit.

Sail & board trim was based on Steve Gottlieb's suggestions, with the boom further down than I'd usually have it (slight above shoulder height), and the mast base about two inches from the front. No problem with control, but hooking out was harder than usual. I was on the 9.0 Kona rig. The trim instructions were for light wind, though - I'm not sure how much they'd change for planing conditions.

For trimming the Matrix, staying close to the recommended settings should work well (assuming you have a mast with the correct bend curve). I have & love 3 Matrix sails (5.5 - 7.5), and they need very little adjustment when the wind changes. That's different from other Gaastra sails that need more adjustment when the wind picks up (older Manics), or even a lot of adjustment (Pilot).
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice short blog entry that sums it well.
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Michael and jingebritsen, are you saying that it's better to get advice from someone on the beach about Ezzy sail rigging than it is to take advice from David Ezzy himself? Or ask someone on the beach for rigging advice on a Sailworks sail instead of asking Bruce? If so, tell us why.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
So, Michael and jingebritsen, are you saying that it's better to get advice from someone on the beach about Ezzy sail rigging than it is to take advice from David Ezzy himself? Or ask someone on the beach for rigging advice on a Sailworks sail instead of asking Bruce? If so, tell us why.

I don't know where you're getting that from. I'm saying that a windsurfer who after three years is first beginning to plane and who is not yet in the footstraps would probably benefit from a good windsurfer eyeballing his set up. Have you never seen someone in this situation? It's not unusual to find someone with gross errors at the mast base extension, downhaul and outhaul. I'm talking fundamental 101 information for a guy who self-describes as new to planing and not yet in the footstraps. Check the original post.

xander.arch

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its time to move this to the 'My Mast is Bigger than Your Mast' thread.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
Maybe its time to move this to the 'My Mast is Bigger than Your Mast' thread.

Nah...I get Konajoe's point. I think we're talking about two different things. Kona (who presumably is dialed in on tuning for Konas) is talking about tuning tips, while I'm talking more about rigging tips. Rigging...the broad strokes. Tuning is definitely sail specific, and had we been talking about tuning (or had I, at any rate) I'd be on Kona's side of the discussion here.

xander.arch

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as long as you guys are finding some common ground. I just hope that all this is helpful for the original poster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: