myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board rack for Nissan Versa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flpnhndl

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Board rack for Nissan Versa? Reply with quote

Anyone know of a reasonable board rack that fits a Nissan Versa?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a good little car for windsurfing for some people. For it's small exterior it has a big interior and gets good mpg. And it has a decently long and flat enough roof, that you can probably put a decent rack on it.

Anyway, you just want to know what racks will fit?

Just go to the - Thule and Yakima and Inno roof rack websites. The 3 brands will have good racks that will fit. You just enter your car and follow the steps.
Also, if you can find a store in your area that specializes in roof racks... you could call them... or better, go there. And a knowledgeable tech guy there will be able to give you additional options.
Be sure to tell him that you want to carry long windsurfer's on your rack.
And that your issue won't be "how much weight can you put on the rack". Your issue is holding the boards down. They are like a wing up there, and at freeway speeds, and or, driving into a headwind... they have lots of lift.
So you need a good rack that is properly attached, so it won't "lift off" the car. And... you need good straps to hold the board securely to the rack.

Happy shopping,
Greg Smile
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - I just went to the Nissan website... and the new ones wouldn't be as good for windsurfing, at least for me.
The models I was thinking about... are like the 2011 Versa hatchback.

Anyway, whatever model you have... those rack websites and a good store, will answer your questions.
Greg -
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

locally Thule and others are $400 and up
started looking at SportRack - also from Thule apparently !!
today my bro-in-law lent me the SR1010 which i put on the roof in about 20 minutes and took for a test drive - whistles and thus will NOT stay on the roof unless needed - 10 minutes to remove and put away

looked up for the Nissan Versa - SR1002 - also around $150

http://www.carid.com/2007-nissan-versa-roof-racks/sportrack-frontier-roof-rack-15785377.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: