myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Multifins and Jumping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Multifins and Jumping Reply with quote

I have been messing around with Quads and Thrusters and one aspect of their performance that no one really talks about is aerials. Seems to me that with the shorter fins its easier to pop the board out of the water. A single fin sticks a bit more and on the landings singles can round upwind sometimes pretty violently on big jumps. I find it much easier to maintain my line when landing a multifin. Anybody have similar experience?
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, you can hop bunnys with multis, self correcting landings even with bad technique, but you can never hit sky shots with the slow and bad upwind characteristics of multi fin boards, compared to a well set up single fin.
If easy is what I'm looking for, I can stay home, sit on the couch, and relax my days away..
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the multis are naturally forcing you to ride a little more upright and over the front leg. This means you are landing and popping jumps more over the board where you were probably used to driving and jumping your single off the fin which could make you land with too much pressure on the back leg and cause the rounding up you mention. I suspect that you were sailing pretty big single fins (over 21cm)? It's great that the multis have taught you a more agile upright sailing stance. This will translate well to sailing small single fin freestyle boards if you choose to go that route. It will also help with the waves which I assume you sail, since the only place for a quad is proper waves.

I def agree with Zirtaeb, singles are without a doubt way better jumping machines. Of the multis it has been my experience that twins have the best jump.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sail like a racer, long lines, high boom, hiked way out over the water with tons of speed to burn. i naturally back loop. happened by chance. never had the guts to forward.

my most common surf condition is onshore. i need speed, and upwind angles to get the most out of those conditions. i use a seat harness in all conditions.

personal preferences differ.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: