myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Next Board - How Big?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally agree with PeconicPuffin. I go 84 fsw, 92 quad wave, 115 fsw- and yes the 92 is a luxury overlap, I easily go from my 84(5.5 & down) to 115ltr(5.5 to 6.5).
jb50009

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again to everyone, this is really helpful.

My main goal is to get a board that covers lighter wind than what I could sail in comfortably with the 84L . . . it seems like there are a lot more options to cover that slot than there used to be, and maybe generalizing about volume is harder given the diversity of available board shapes.

I plan to use the 84L whenever it's windy enough (it's big enough to slog if necessary and to up-haul if needed with some moderate sinking). 95L is a floater for me, but maybe a 105L board would open up a lot more light-wind range in terms of early planing and general range of use?

The 100L firemove could be a great do-everything option (though maybe a bit more fancy than I need to pick up at the moment) - it does look pretty fantastic in the video anyway - but as of right now I'm looking more at cheaper/available used board options . . . something modern-enough shaped, known/successful design, with a fast-enough rocker line but doesn't "need" to be a pure race board, and will be used in flat enough (bay/sound type) water conditions:

So far I am thinking either:
- used slalom board (95-100L)
- used FSW (flatter rocker ones only - maybe a JP FSW 100-105L? used x-cross if one turns up?)
- used freeride (like JP super sport/all ride/ or Hawk/Firemove/etc. ~100-105L)

I am thinking that I will probably skip any Naish All Terrain/Goya One/etc FSW's for lighter wind (since they seem more toward the wave end of the FSW spectrum) . . .

The JP FSW is popular enough that it shows up used from time to time at decent prices - but would it be a good light wind board? Or would it be not nearly as efficient in planing/speed as a slalom board?

I'm tempted to go slalom board or something really fast/efficient for light air, but at 100-105L if some of the other all-around options are good compromises and perform nearly as well, then maybe that could be better . . . the FSW shapes do seem popular / readily available second hand in that size range . . . a used isonic 95-100L would be fast for blasting around on, but more expensive, and if a used JP FSW / other option at 100-105L with a double straps and a slalom fin would be ~90% as fast/efficient plus easier handling, then it might be a good option too (and if that's the case, I could pretty easily include most 100-105L freeride boards that fall someplace in between those options). . . as long as 6.6 is in the middle of the recommended sail range, the volume is less important than the shape, except for buoyancy, correct?

The range of boards then would be:

Big: tbd used 95-105L slalom/freeride/freestyle?/FSW (smaller end of range if slalom, bigger if FSW - with 6.6 being about the ideal sail size)

Medium: 84L FSW (4.8-5.8 )

Small: tbd 65-70L wave board (<5.0 )

(and that should cover 7.5 and below, with some overlap in range but not too much).

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: