myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Article on Windsurfing in Sailing World Magazine
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winddave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Article on Windsurfing in Sailing World Magazine Reply with quote

The March/April 2015 Edition of SAILING WORLD magazine features an article on Windsurfing! The cover headline reads: WINDSURFING'S BOOM, BUST, BOOM. Boat sailing has been declining for years and is seeking a resurgence with windsurfing viewed as sort of a gateway drug for entry into sail boating. The article attributes windsurfing's bust to the marketing of it as only a high wind sport and not for the light wind conditions that most of us experience at our local body of water. A second factor was allowing unlimited pumping in races that allowed them to become about the pumping and not sailing skill. The resurgence of windsurfing is attributed to the RSX one design Olympic class and Kona racing. The Kona class allows racers of all sizes and ages to compete together with sail sizes based on body weight with a wind minimum of only 3 knots and extending up to 30 knots .
The article sees a re-emergence of windsurfing if it is blended into yacht club sailing programs.
In the article, windsurfing is described as:
highly attractive to kids
just plain fun
great at teaching sail handling skills
able to re-ignite sailing interest in a burnt out sail boater
accessible to many and relatively inexpensive.
I would have loved to see some input by Farrah Hall. The article does have input by Scott Steel and Nevin Sayre.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about YOUR input.
Most guys in the industry have direct personal gains from the sport, so it's a bias'd opinion.
Why do YOU windsurf?
Do you race?
Do you always go to compeititive events?
Is organized competitions and events important to you?
Go to your local windsurfing area. How many compete, how many ride for fun only?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride for fun. At 65 years old I'm still going strong. Never got into the race thing. I do think sub planning windsurfing can be fun with the right gear. Mister Naish once stated that he didn't plane for his first 3 years and he had a hell of a lot of fun. Maybe lite wind racing, or is it light wind racing can rebuild our sport...
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you convince private business organizations /like yacht building companies/ to invest in winsurfing/sailboats junior clubs? No chance in our time where everyone is after expense cutting, bottom line optimizing frenzy.
Or the government- local or state ...ha good luck...not an expense to sell to the taxpayer:(
If it's an investor outside of the industry they will expect a return. They'll set shop in the vicinity of the rich people marinas and teach the rich kids sailing for a fat fee. Forget about mass appeal and affordability.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, basically, I guess most of us can agree that Kona sailing is a good thing.

I might have to pick up a long board again.
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I ride for fun.

Always an interesting statement. It's not uncommon for folks to say that 'I just want to go out and have fun' when they talk about sailing back and forth.

Maximum 'fun' can be, depending on who you ask, racing, freestyle, long distance cruising, speed sailing, or free riding. Free riding bores some people to tears.

I'm going to have to get around to writing an article about 2014 Kona Worlds one of these days.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
Free riding bores some people to tears.

Yup. Many people have long forgotten how to play.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Forgotten how to play!!!'

No - but some of us oldies no longer mistake continual furious activity for a sense of purpose!

Having said that though, I've just written a furious letter to Mr. Bic. My much used (and abused) 25 year old Ace-Tec Bic Bamba has suddenly developed a series of small narrow transverse ridges across its bottom, and there was I, thinking it would be there for life.

But hey, the Kona is only 9 years old and not yet in the teens, and Spring is just around the corner with all those still to do journeys, not to mention the Mahalo and the camping gear, should the sun (what global warming?) think to put in a bit of a summer appearance.

Who needs boring repetition (mowing the lawn - with or without jumps) for the rest of life? Been there, done that - nowt new there! Not a patch on ticking off those journeys! Laughing Laughing
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While competition and rules are are at the heart of some people's idea of fun, the majority of windsurfers just want to do their thing in a more free spirited way. The situation isn't going to change any time in the future. Yet, those that are looking for a larger more dedicated competitive racing scene pine for more interest in their idea of fun. As a result, they all too often look down their noses at those of us that just want to sail back and forth enjoying the experience. Sometimes, I wish that it wasn't that way. Each to their own in mutual respect seems to me to be the best path.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a newbie to the sport, I must say that it has been tricky wading through all the information and different types of sailing/gear in order to find out what I needed to get sailing. For me racing is just an excuse to go someplace fun and share the experience with like minded folks. Racing also is a way for me to build skills. I also like sailing back and forth in a 5 MPH wind. I have been trying for a couple of years now to generate some interest in windsurfing at my lake. I have had some interest , but as of yet no one has stepped up and actually purchased a board and sail. I am going to keep trying to get a windsurfing club at lake D'arbonne. Most of what you see on the net is the sexy wave guys/gals flying through the air. maybe that is what most people think windsurfing is all about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: