myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New to wind surfing :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those boards, every time I got to the middle of the bay and tried to turn around the mast would separate from the board, watch out for that Mad
That boom will have to be repaired cheaply somehow, a new boom that size will cost a fortune and used it will still cost too much and be hard to find.
Where do you live? Can someone help him out?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good stuff there for learning in light winds (1 - 12 mph) and flat water (not breaking waves).
There were tons of different boom designs for "tie-on booms". This a later Mistral design, it's very easy to use. You included a very good picture of the boom front end. And if those two plastic cleats will still HOLD a 5mm line (1/4" line)... I can tell you very easily how to tie on the boom.
It's fast, it's secure, and it won't slip.

Once you set this rig up properly the first time, you don't have to do it again. The mast base and sail and boom will ALL be on the mast all the time. You'll carry it on your roof rack just like that.
When you get to the beach, you'll finish rigging the sail in 60 seconds and you'll be on the water that fast. Brand new wind-Sup's are copying this design, for light and quick sailing in winds below 15 mph.

Just get a paddle and this Mistral Superlight One, is a pretty good SUP if there's no wind. Or if it's blowing below 15, go windsurfing.

Two thing you were asked, I didn't see an answer for -
* Does the board have it's have it's original spring loaded pivoting fin (which allows you to sail it right into the beach. Or, right off the beach if you're Robby Naish.)
* And I don't really see in the pic, "where is the boom front end broken?"

Oh yeah, also mentioned... I agree, the weakest point of this kit... is the mast-base (mast-foot). This part connects the mast to the board. These parts got much better in the late 80's... and REALLY good in the early 90's (as good as today). But this model Superlight One is from the early to mid 80's and the mast base connection is suspect. Be very careful, cause if you're out on a windy day... and the sail rig becomes separated from the board... you could be in big trouble. They provided a "safety leash" originally, and if used properly, it would save your a$$ if the two parts separated. More about this important safety measure later.

Anyway, if you want details, how to tie this boom on... just let me know.
Greg Smile
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a promotional video from Mistral, highlighting it's 1985 line-up.
It's all Hawaii and mostly WINDY conditions. Longboards to shortboards are featured... a few freestyle tricks... a few jumps, etc. ALL the booms in this vid are "tie-on booms".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV8gFw0_9MI

If you pay attention between 6:10 and 9:10 you'll see a section featuring the Bermuda and the Superlight One. These two boards are identical in shape and design. But the Bermuda was made out of more durable material, and was cheaper and heavier. The Superlight (identical) was made from more light weight materials and was more fragile and expensive. And it, was the biggest One Design racing fleet in the world (IMCO). You'll see the beach sailing tricks I mentioned before, allowable by the pivoting fin Smile
Clamp-on booms, really hit the market about 1990, from tons of brands.
And by 1995 they had them figured out. New clamp-on booms today are almost identical to the best clamp-on's from 1995.
Yes, clamp-on booms are the BEST.
But for a guy sailing one sail rig, all the time, in light winds, learning, etc.
A very good tie-on kit with decent sail, mast, boom and mast-foot all connected... is totally fine. Nothing will get you on the water faster, and the full powerful sail is great for learning, and sailing in light winds. Aerotech has copied the best of the 80's for their brand new wind-sup rig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GRGdzZAwLY

Greg Smile
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile LOL
Hey, we've all been saying your board is a Superlight.
However, you haven't said... does it say Superlight on it?
Because I think it may be a 1984 Mistral Competition... which is really about the same as the Superlight. The Superlight's first year may have been 1985.
Look at this 1984 Mistral Promo Vid.
Robby Naish (and almost everybody else) is sailing YOUR SAIL at 4:22 !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Csl2GlC7o

Same board, same boom, mast mastbase etc.
The beginning will show you about your mast foot... and the safety leash I mentioned before.

If all this kit you have is in great shape, don't ever sell it.
I mean, if you get into windsurfing, YES, you'll but more modern stuff, that is better for higher winds, etc.
But, you may have a REAL classic there !!
Greg Smile
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What your boom will look like when rigged. Look at 55 seconds, freeze frame Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tohpXKAHmM

But there is a technique to get it this way, which others have already alluded to. Anyway, without instruction, it's impossible to get it right.
I can walk you through it if you want.

It's easy once you get it... and will always be easy to do it again.
But it's not intuitive, so without help, you'll just get frustrated and have a crappy rig.
In 1984, thousands of average windsurfer's all over the world, did it without thinking... cause they learned it from the shop where they bought their board.
Send me a note, and I'll walk you through it,
Greg -
outhaul

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
What your boom will look like when rigged. Look at 55 seconds, freeze frame Smile
Greg -

What is the string for at 2:05?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
gregnw44 wrote:
Greg -

What is the string for at 2:05?

It's called a "leech line". It's a string that runs from up near the head of the sail and down to the clew. It runs inside a "compartment" but that's not the right word. Like a "tube" along the leech, with the string lying freely inside it.
(Someone else could describe this better Smile
Anyway, it's attached securely at the top, and then runs loose (un-attached) all the way to the clew.
What you see him doing is tightening the leech line.
I would usually leave mine alone... let the sail breath on it's on... or sometimes flutter in high winds, whatever.
But, these guys know WAY more than I do Smile
What you would do is pull some tension on the leech line, which tightens up the leech. And then, you wind it around those little 1" discs at the clew to hold tension in the leech line.

Leech lines were a popular feature of hi-performance sails like these in the mid 80's.
But that's not all !!
Leech lines continued to be popular, as RAF sail... and camber induced sails developed in the late 80's.
But... I don't think I've seen them on race sails or any others past the early 90's.
Greg -
outhaul

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, thanks for the links, it's fun looking back, it's no wonder Mistral was king, they knew how to market the sport and lifestyle. It's funny how the "cool" windsurfers view the not so hip dude in the Sunfish dingy. Is this how kiters look at us now?

Also, I did a double take of the topless woman carrying her board and sailing, ah, the good old days!

Are the booms really as high as they look, seems like top-of-head height, why?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Yeah, you're right. Some kiter's do think that windsurfing is lame... yesterday's news... whatever...
I think they just want to be seen as "the coolest" or "more extreme" or "cutting edge"... whatever. It's all fine with me. I think kiting looks pretty cool too. But, I'm not in competition with them. I think it's all great. Whatever you want to do, to get outside and play in the wind and water... it should all be fine together. I don't have to "look for ways" to put down kiting. I don't know why some of them feel compelled to put down windsurfing.
As far as I'm concerned... everybody should be able to play together nicely, LOL
ALSO, even though some kiter's may think windsurfing is lame... I saw lots of folks last night, who thought windsurfing looked pretty cool.
We had some local club races in marginal winds, 10 - 15 mph. But the weather was beautiful: blue sky - sunshine - 80* hot for this time of year.
Just some simple up and down wind fun social races with about 12 out there.
Anyway, in between heats... I was having fun beam-reaching right off the end of a big pier with lots of people on it. Sailing a '93 F2 Lightning, using an '05 11M formula sail. I'm 200# and was in the straps fully planning BAF, doing 20 mph passes in the 13 mph wind (at the time). I was having fun and lots of people on the pier were taking pics and hootin' it up and waving at me. People of all ages seemed to enjoy my little demo going BAF as we waited to start the next race.
I imagine that if you asked them... they'd say that windsurfing looks pretty cool Smile

* Yeah, the topless girl makes carrying and sailing that old heavy stuff, with (supposedly) unstable and ridiculous sails... look pretty fun and great !!

* And yes, booms were head height and just above. And, I don't know why.
Maybe cause there wasn't much "foot" to the sails. So therefore, most all the power was coming from above, so I guess the booms would be higher so you could get some leverage on all that power up there.
It all seemed to work quite well and easy. Young and old and strong and weak and tall and short... all kinds of people all over the world did windsurfing just fine on that gear.
Greg -
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant Greg! What a contrast to the disdainful attitude of some of todays high wind only 'experts.'

Those old Mistral videos really do capture the spirit of those days, and do some of us miss that! (Or was it just that we were younger then. Crying or Very sad )

Can relate perfectly to your pier episode. Those kinds of things stick in our minds. Lovely!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: