myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is This Rig Useable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jandrew7 - You asked about how to apply more downhaul and outhaul tension on your 6.8 rig in the picture.

From what I can see, you have 2 - 4" of space from the tack grommet at the bottom of the sail... down to the mastbase pulley and cleat.
AND also, you have about the same distance between the clew grommet and the back end of your boom pulley and cleat.
Yes, I agree with the others... you could use more downhaul and outhaul tension. But because you already have room/space there... you do not have to extend the mast extension... or the boom extension... any more.
Just pull the downhaul so that tack grommet is an inch or two closer to the base pulley/cleat.
(And as said earlier, if the batten starts "S-ing", then back the downhaul off just slightly.)
And for outhaul tension... it looks like that should be pulled an inch or two as well. But again, you already have room... no need to adjust the boom any more.

And regarding the sail sleeve tear...
One thing that's been talked about... but we're not sure yet... is...
Is it just a full length batten sail?
Or is it a camber induced sail?
And (just checking, cause you're kinda new to all this)... do you know what a camber induced sail is?
I'll try to define it Smile
On the battens, that are just above and below the boom... do the batten ends just "stop" at the mast sleeve?
Or... do the batten ends at the mast sleeve, go into a device that wraps around the mast partially? Meaning, you can feel a device that fits up against the mast... and as you tack the sail from one side to the other, this device rotates around to that side.

Here's another clue - when the sail is lying flat on the ground, not rigged. And you run your hand up the mast sleeve. Do you feel any kinda device where the batten ends are attached to? Something that would wrap and rotate slightly around the mast, when the sail is rigged?
Or... when you run your hand up the (un-rigged) mast sleeve... do you not feel anything, but just the little batten end.
If this is the case. Then you have a full battened sail, but NOT a camber induced sail. The batten end should stop in a little "pouch" of some sort. This "pouch" holds the batten end in place so that it doesn't extend into the actual mast sleeve when you tension it.
"This is the part" that guys are saying, is likely torn and could be sewed shut. And if that is what is going on... then THAT is why you can't tension that foot batten... and WHY there are so many wrinkles there.

Lastly... he said... look at that top batten in the pic... it is REALLY cupped.
Old sails like this, did have way more shape up there... compared to newer sails that have zero shape up there. But "this shape" does seem excessive.
In the picture, compare the draft or shape of the sail at the top batten. Compared to the draft or shape of the 2nd and 3rd battens down.
Notice that the draft in the sail at batten 2 and 3 is forward and close to the mast. And then the shape goes flat at it gets closer to the leech.
But now look, the top batten almost seems to have more curve at the outside edge (the leech) of the sail.
He correctly said to pull that batten out and check it. Look at it carefully, you will likely see it is what's called a "tapered batten". One end will be thinner... and the other end will be thicker.
The thinner end curves easily under tension... the thick end stays straighter under tension.
You want to install that batten (like all of them) so that the thin end is in towards the mast, and the thick end is towards the leech.
Then, when you tension battens... the draft or curve stays up closer to the mast... and the sail is flatter as it continues back to the trailing edge (or leech).

More later,
Greg -
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jandrew7 - Thanks for the added answers about you, your gear, and your sailing goals and conditions.

That Bic Veloce you have is from between 1995 and 1999 I think.
If I recall they made them in different sizes... maybe 282cm and 290cm... or something like that.
I think the specs are on the label between the mast-track and the front footstraps.
What's the volume of your board?
It will be on the label... it's in "Liters" (L) of displacement. Or it might just say Vol.
Anyway, since you're only about 150lbs... I'm sure you can uphaul that board with practice (in flat water).
Is that what you've been doing?
But... can you also waterstart out in the lake on a windy day?

And you say, typical winds are about 10 - 15... but you've seen 5 and also as high as 35mph winds.
Depending on that board's vol. even at your weight of 150... you're not going to be doing much sailing in 5 mph winds. And, for sure... due to your novice - intermediate skills so far... you're not going out in 35, or even 25 mph winds.
I'll take a guess, that "when you get the skills" that board will work for a guy your size in winds from 10 to 25... but be the most fun in 15 - 20 mph stuff.
I saw earlier that you had a post wanting to buy a newer 6M sail (or bigger, I think)... but I can't find it now.
Anyway, I agree a newer big sail is a fine idea. But you'll for sure want bigger than a 6M. And that's cause you said you already have a 5.8 about the same age as the board, (so that's late 90's).
If I were you, I'd look for a newer sail in the 6.8 to 7.4 size. That would be a nice size, to jump to from your 5.8M sail.
And you could use that 7-ish size sail in wind's from 10 - 20 (or high teens). And you'd use your 5.8 from high teens to maybe 25.

You started all this off by saying you want to go faster. Believe me, you'll be going very fast with that board and 5.8 in 20 - 25 mph wind.
And when you get really good at handling your 7-ish sail in the moderate range 10 - 20. You might want to get a new-ish 8.5 for the 10 - 15 stuff. At your weight, you will go pretty fast on that board with a modern 8.5 in 15 mph winds !!

And (back to frugal Greg Smile since you already have the late 90's 5.8 for higher winds. And you already have, the late 80's or 1990 6.8 NPU sail... you "could" stay with that for a while. The NPU is one generation older sail, than your 5.8. Therefore it is a powerful sail for it's 6.8 size. And since you're kinda light... that 6.8 will power you around nicely on the big shortboard. I'd say, it'll get you around fine in 10 mph breezes... and be very fun in 12 - 16 (you'll be planning). But at your weight and inexperience... it will be a bear for you, above 17 mph (approx.)

Or save up and shop for a newer 7.2 - 7.4 to get "almost the same" low end power as your 6.8M sail. But they will be faster and easier to sail in 17 - 20 mph winds for you.

Good luck, Greg Smile
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unstable sail, especially the way it is rigged. At best is has a narrow wind range. The draft will move all over the place when the wind does come. Find a local swap meet if you can. Get a newer sail and mast. Make sure you have the right extension before you Leave. Have the seller show you how to rig and tune your new sail. Nothing more frustrating than a bad unstable sail when trying to learn planning and turning. Good board for you and very durable. Will stand up to the abuse your sure to dish out while you learn. Another option would be to take a trip to some place like World Winds in Texas. Take a lesson or two. Get to try some modern equipment. Its an adventure. Its fun and you will progress rapidly. Don't go in the summer....
xander.arch

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top batten is either in backwards or is cracked. Its probably backwards. I didnt read all the replies so its probably been said already.
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as you want to hear that sail/rig is anyways near comparable on any level to something newer(last 10 years) its not.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigwave65 wrote:
as much as you want to hear that sail/rig is anyways near comparable on any level to something newer(last 10 years) its not.

Bigwave - The original poster is not "wanting" to hear anything. He's a novice - intermediate just looking for advice... and trying to learn a bit about our cool sport.

But in regards to your "black and white" statement that his old 6.8 sail is in no way comparable on any level to something newer...
With all due respect... that's not quite accurate.
His old 6.8 on a raceboard would beat any 6.8 from the last 15 years also sailed on a raceboard in winds from 1 to 15 mph.
I know this, because I do it all the time (last week for example).

Anyway, he's not really looking to do that anyway... but I'm just answering your post.
He's looking to try to get planning on a floaty shortboard in marginal winds.
And that old 6.8 will do that as well.
However, like he's also been told. A newer 6.8, will have less power to get him going... but once he is going, "that newer 6.8" will be easier to handle at higher speeds.
Greg -
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, what you said
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sail is not going to keep up with a new Retro or Cheetah on any board...
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G-Just because some of us choose to answer the question of "is this rig usable" by stating in a sentence or two that it is not usable instead of writing a novel fawning about how great & superior it is, doesn't make my/our opinion any less important (or wrong) than yours. I am answering the question that was asked & saying it isn't, simple as that. You're saying it is, 2 different views, 1 is just in Cliff note fashion!
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
That sail is not going to keep up with a new Retro or Cheetah on any board...

Don't get me wrong... I love new sails. I think new sails are better. I'm just saying, for some people, in some situations... not all old sails are junk.

And, for example... again, the above statement isn't true.
Last week, I was doing circles (faster, upwind, and reaching) than new Retros (love Sailworks BTW) that were bigger then the sail I used that day, which is exactly like the sail the original poster pictured.
All of us on raceboards - winds from 5 - 18 mph.
Gotta run... till tomorrow...
Greg Smile

PS - Don't get me started... or I'll tell you about the old vs. new test I did at the US National Slalom Champs in Hood River July 2012.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: