myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is This Rig Useable?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jandrew7

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Is This Rig Useable? Reply with quote

Question A- How does my rigging look? Any suggestions?

Question B- Is it worth a sail update?

I recently upgraded my base and boom but am considering getting a new sail. The one shown in this picture is a 6.8. My main reason for upgrading is to get more power. I want to go fast! Would a smaller, but better sail do that?

Thank you!

IMG_2109 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.32 MB
 Viewed:  15627 Time(s)

IMG_2109 copy.jpg

IMG_1958.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  956.77 KB
 Viewed:  15629 Time(s)

IMG_1958.JPG

joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is NPU actually NP ?
older sail - obviously
i use a pulley hook on the eye for ease of downhaul
battens need tightening - especially bottom one
sail looks like a high foot, but big pocket for power
what winds, board, your weight, etc ...
that would be a great sail for my ice n snow windsurfing Smile
jandrew7

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe_windsurfxxx wrote:
is NPU actually NP ?
older sail - obviously
i use a pulley hook on the eye for ease of downhaul
battens need tightening - especially bottom one
sail looks like a high foot, but big pocket for power
what winds, board, your weight, etc ...
that would be a great sail for my ice n snow windsurfing Smile

IMG_2109 copy.jpg
 Description:
The battens seem to be poking through. Any suggestions on how to keep them in?
 Filesize:  190.53 KB
 Viewed:  15549 Time(s)

IMG_2109 copy.jpg

gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked if this rig will work? Absolutely.
NPU was it's own sail brand, very popular back in the day. No, it's not Neil Pryde.
This sail is from approx. 1989.
And I can't tell from the pics, but does it have a couple small camber inducers in it? Or, is it an RAF, full batten sail with no cams?

A - The way you 've rigged it is just fine. Is that an old Alum. mast? Yes, the bottom batten looks to need more tension. But most the sails from this era, look like this. There is a trick to get that batten tighter, and if you can, great. If the batten starts to get an "S" shape, then back off a little till it doesn't S. If there's still wrinkles down there, don't worry about it.

B - The answer to this depends on your goals. You say, you want more power, that you want to go faster? You say, will a smaller and better sail do that?

My thoughts -
"Power" and "speed" don't necessarily go together (other's could explain that better). How much do you weigh? What board's are you using this rig on? What wind speeds to you typically have?
Let's say - that you're a big guy over 200 lbs, sailing a longboard, in wind's from 10 - 15 mph. Let's say - you want to lean back in the harness and have the sail support you? Then, yes, this is fine.

Here's the deal with this sail -
It's very light for it's size. Meaning newer 6.8 sails from the late 90's to present will weigh more, as far as carrying it, and uphauliung and waterstarting. Newer 6.8 sails will NOT be as powerful as this one. You will have to get a newer 8.5M sail, if you want equal power as this old 6.8.
I'm 200 lbs - I would sail this sail on my raceboard in 10 - 20 mph winds.
Or, I would sail a newer 8.5M sail.

Anyway, this is a sail for light to marginal winds, depending on your weight, skill and experience.
It doesn't have the stability of newer sails... it will be a bear to handle in 20 mph winds. A newer 6.8 would handle 20 mph winds great, and would go faster. But a newer 6.8 will go much slower for you in 5 - 10 mph winds.

So, if you realize what you have... and use it accordingly... this sail will be fine. Power for it's size, YES. Top speed records, NO.
So, use it in lighter winds... and enjoy ALL the power it'll give you in light winds, from a relatively small size, and a lightweight sail to handle.
And although it has value to you... if you use it that way.
It has zero value at a swap meet, because most everybody wants newer stuff. And that's fine. But if an intermediate sailor who weighs 150 lbs uses this in light winds (10 mph) on a good longboard... they will do circles around people on new 6.8's on Go boards.
Greg Smile
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sail will be OK for light wind cruising on a longboard.

However, when someone says they want to go faster, that usually means planing on a shortboard (board without a centerboard). That sail will not work well for shortboard/performance windsurfing. It will be very unstable in planing conditions based entirely on it's design/age. Modern gear is better - MUCH better. Many folks will claim that people used to plane on rigs like that back in the '80s, and they did. And people also used to ski on wooden skis, but nobody does now, and for good reason.

If you want to take your windsurfing to the next level, do yourself a favor and get some decent gear that was made from 2000 on.

sm
spennie

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for bred2shred, with this edit: 1995 or later would be fine.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with bred2shred... with a slightly different spin Smile

That sail will be "great" for lightwind cruising on a longboard.

And the original poster doesn't give us enough info.
We don't have any idea what he means by "wants to go fast". I teach new beginner's all the time. Most of them think that going BAF at 5 mph is fast. Until they get good at it. And then, they think going 10 mph is fast. Until they're used to it. And then they think going 15 is fast (and so on).

So, we don't know what he means.
Do they even have high winds where he lives?
Can he sail a shortboard?
If they don't have high winds, he will get WAY more time windsurfing if he sails a longboard. And in 15 mph winds he will go pretty fast with this sail.
Of course, if he gets 15 mph stuff enough, he can buy a formula or a big slalom board, and a modern rig... and go much faster. But depending on his local wind and his time and effort... that could take years to get those skills.

Just buying more modern gear, won't take your sailing to the next level. It takes lots of time and lessons and practice... to improve your skills. And yes, in high winds he needs a more modern sail than this... or at the very least a smaller version of this sail.
His local wind... his time available to advance at windsurfing... the kind of board he has... and his sails... are all key to how much and how fast he will advance.

I agree "that sail will not work well for shortboard/performance windsurfing. It will be very unstable in planing conditions based entirely on it's design/age. Modern gear is better. Many folks will claim that people used to plane on rigs like that back in the '80s, and they did."

Oh yeah, you can definitely plane with this sail on a shortboard. But, it will be easier and you will go faster, with a more modern sail.
But again... if the typical wind where he lives is 10 mph... then he's not going to do much, as you say "shortboard/performance windsurfing".
Greg -
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on now, this shouldn't even be debatable!
kmf

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's put it this way....there isn't anyone on this site, well perhaps one, who would willingly rig this sail and try to sail it fast.

Nuf said.

Keith
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did someone tell him to shorten up the boom? or is is it corroded in place?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: