myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which mast step material is better - rubber or tendon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isochores

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Which mast step material is better - rubber or tendon? Reply with quote

Which one would be better in high wind conditions, a rubber or tendon mast step?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget rigid thermoplastic, as in Chinook's mechanical joint.
Each has its own pros and cons, as I'm sure the ensuing thread will reveal.
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shop owner told me that the most reliable was the mechanical joint, followed by the hour glass, then the tendon.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By better do you mean strength or softness?

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that sail with hourglass universals, just take a second and look down at it while sailing, particularly in very windy conditions. It's hard to believe how distorted and stretched-out they become. On top of that, many hourglass designs do not locate the threaded rod on center, so that when you screw it on, it might be skewed to one side of the board or the other.

Frankly, I'm surprised that anyone would be touting the hourglass universal as more reliable. The only universal that ever failed on me in over 28 years of windsurfing was an hourglass one. For many years now, I've totally sold on tendon universals. Pretty hard to beat Chinook's Euro-pin stainless steel/tendon universal for toughness and bulletproof reliability. In my view, they are the benchmark design.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
By better do you mean strength or softness?

Or responsiveness? Maintenance? Durability? Speed? Ease of use? They all differ, and they matter differently to different users. My head is reeling; this stuff's tougher than string theory.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both the hour glass and the tendon, when sailing I can't tell the difference, but I believe the hour glass has one advantage.
It will warn you before it fails, assuming you'll look at it before going out. It will always crack a little bit first, and it's always easy to spot.
The tendon usually fails at where the screw goes thru it at the top or bottom, it may crack first, but you can't see it.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
the hour glass has one advantage.
It will warn you before it fails, assuming you'll look at it before going out. It will always crack a little bit first, and it's always easy to spot ...

... or not. One of my black rubber hourglasses snapped in its first session, and Chinook had a flood of synthetic hourglasses snap within minutes many years ago. That said, I still prefer and use black hourglasses. If I still used full-diameter masts, I'd still be using Chinook mechanical joints with Hydroshoks.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
For those of you that sail with hourglass universals, just take a second and look down at it while sailing, particularly in very windy conditions. It's hard to believe how distorted and stretched-out they become. On top of that, many hourglass designs do not locate the threaded rod on center, so that when you screw it on, it might be skewed to one side of the board or the other.

All true, but I've been sailing rubber hour glass universals for over 15 years and can't say I've ever noticed or felt any negative impact on performance because of this.

The rubber hour glass also has some other advantages - 1) it's softer material provides some degree natural cushion between the rig and the board. 2) it is the lowest cost of all options.

sm
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL this, is good info. I have all 3 styles. Keep the info coming.

Something that hasn't been mentioned about the mechanical U-joint, is -
If (for "whatever" reason... and there are MANY different reasons for people in different situations)... if you're carrying your rig and your board into the water separately. And then, you attach them while standing in choppy water. The mech. U-j is WAY easier for you to put your gear together, or take it apart.

But what about reliability? I've heard that Mech. joints can break without warning... that they can snap, if the rig falls at just the right angle. It hasn't happened to me, but I believe the sailor that told me this.

Anyway, I've always thought -
* Mech. are the most convenient, easy to use.
* Tendons are the strongest, and easy to replace.
* Rubber hourglass is soft, absorbs some shock... maybe easier on your board or rig or you.

Greg Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: