myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, but attitude and innate skill can trump the apples vs oranges issue big time. The goal-oriented person wiling to rig and sail even in awful conditions (e.g., 5 gusting to 20 or even just 5G10) on small gear can advance much more rapidly than the hedonist who demands to be planing most of the time. A big, ripped ex-Marine bud resigned himself to speed-sailing only simply because he thought his mass (he was about 225) left him no other choices but big winds, big gear, straight lines, and surface-bound. Other guys his size often prove him dead wrong.

I'm debating the point simply so other big guys don't miss a ton o' fun just because they top 200 or even 240 pounds. The things I've seen guys that size do on 85L boards on and high over the Columbia with tiny fins and tiny sails are nothing short of astounding. Don't despair; LAUNCH and LEARN.

And if one's bulk includes useless (actually, harmful) fat, eating habits can dump it FAR faster than exercise can.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you contact Phil McGain at Maui Sails. He is very tall and uses a waist harness for nearly everything. I know he'd be happy to suggest a solution.

My 2 cents: The tendency to sit in a waist harness does allow the harness to slide up no matter one's build. Sailing in that efficient "7" stance will prevent the ride-up, but how long can you actually hold that position is largely determined by your abdominal fitness. It can be exhausting to constantly push one's hips forward unless core fitness is high. Perhaps some of your fit issue could be a fitness issue.

beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear I started out with this seat harness because it was amongst the pile of old gear I bought for $140 when I started about 3 years ago, it fits and so i have been using it.
The waist harness I tried belonged to another sailor who didn't use it, he uses a seat also. This waist harness was too small and it also lacked the wide velcro cummerbund band under the hook. I don't recall if I ever actually sailed with it because it was so uncomfortable.
My overall fitness is fine in fact you can see a line that runs down the center of my abs, how many of you have this?
Re; The figure 7 posture, how much should the knees be bent compared to when using a seat? This is what I am getting at, there seems to be a different application of forces when using the different harnesses but perhaps when fully powered up in the straps and leaned out the difference isn't as much?
Pushing the hips forward vs pushing the butt down?
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windrockwater, I always come back to the windsup, it's so easy to sail and I always seem to have more fun with it. I can only get into the straps when the mast is all the way back and even then it's a bit of a reach when marginally powered up. We will see if the 1 1/2" I have gained by going to a single bolt base makes a difference. It's odd to me because longboards used to have straps running way up towards the front for going upwind or when less powered up.
The board is so versatile. For me it's not the size that's so big but the weight and mine weighs even more because it broke in half and was put back together.
The other board I use is a http://2002.star-board.com/products/freeformula198.asp to me this board is amazing because it is so light, it has a trainer position for the front straps and this was the first board I was able to get into them. I have a Starboard Go 155L but it feels glued to the water compared to the other two boards so it stays in the garage rafters for now at least.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Re; The figure 7 posture, how much should the knees be bent compared to when using a seat? This is what I am getting at, there seems to be a different application of forces when using the different harnesses but perhaps when fully powered up in the straps and leaned out the difference isn't as much?
Pushing the hips forward vs pushing the butt down?"

One's use of a harness (seat or waist) doesn't change a good sailing style. Having a good stance means you're doing a number of things to optimize performance. The classic "7" stance is just a general concept, and it provides a useful visual cue. There are many variations of it depending on the conditions. What I find revealing is photos and videos. Photos in particular allow you to really study what's going on. You check out a big guy like Dunkerbeck, he's got his act together whether he's using a seat or waist harness.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
My overall fitness is fine in fact you can see a line that runs down the center of my abs, how many of you have this?

I do; it's quite distinct.
Oh, wait ... you do mean a surgery scar, right? Smile
outhaul

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
I suggest you contact Phil McGain at Maui Sails. He is very tall and uses a waist harness for nearly everything. I know he'd be happy to suggest a solution.

My 2 cents: The tendency to sit in a waist harness does allow the harness to slide up no matter one's build. Sailing in that efficient "7" stance will prevent the ride-up, but how long can you actually hold that position is largely determined by your abdominal fitness. It can be exhausting to constantly push one's hips forward unless core fitness is high. Perhaps some of your fit issue could be a fitness issue.

Short of buying and trying every harness out there Dan's advice is spot on especially regarding asking Phil.
outhaul

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

I do; it's quite distinct.
Oh, wait ... you do mean a surgery scar, right? Smile

That's good, very self-defecating---I mean deprecating! (or depreciating)
gorgesurfshop

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a seat harness with a high hook, check out the ION Peak seat harness. The spreader bar is definitely higher than the Dakine seat harnesses.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waist harness, I want a waist harness... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: