myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to coach it into simpler terms, I don't want a seat harness, I want a waist harness, but.... because of my height and corresponding tall torso will I find a waist harness not workable?
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting question. Good luck with it.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
I'll try to coach it into simpler terms, I don't want a seat harness, I want a waist harness, but.... because of my height and corresponding tall torso will I find a waist harness not workable?
There's only one way to find out, because we're all different. I HATE waist harnesses, and my crowd finds ways to eliminate bar slide if their harnesses come with it.

BTW, the closest Dakine harness I've found to their original Surfseat (which was replaced by the XT Seat) is the Storm. The XT Seat grew to the size, feel, heft, and stiffness of a damned Recaro sports car seat ... fine for your Corvette but not for WSing.

Last edited by isobars on Tue May 06, 2014 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
westender

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the only one that will answer that question.

Figure out a way to borrow a harness to try.

beaglebuddy wrote:
will I find a waist harness not workable?
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dakine NRG and the Maui Fin Company Thermoform are both "tall" waist harnesses. I like my NRG a lot, you cant go wrong with a Dakine product.
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the switch to a waist harness decades ago. I am never going back to a seat.
I am tall (6'7"/#238). What is the issue?

I agree with others, borrow one and find out if you like it.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be a little lost on this thread. IF you have a properly fitted waist harness, and if you have proper boom height and harness line length and (important point) IF you have the proper stance (straight legs and arms looking like a "7") then the harness SHOULD be pulling straight out and maybe slightly up. If it is pulling up, then your are probably in the "sitting" type stance, and the waist harness isn't really designed to prevent the bar from riding up from that stance....

That being said, I find when I am lazy and hooked in while slogging or hanging off my lines to get on a plane instead of my arms, then the harness does ride up. Once in a proper stance and sailing, it isn't a problem....
westender

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the info in the original post, it does sound like your problem isn't the harness.

There's no need for padding behind my bar because it's always pulling away from my body.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've been using a seat, you may have all or most of your settings and style in place to adjust by going waist.

may be easier to find the right seat. this one ought to be called a wave seat: http://www.progressivesports.com/I-54537-Epic-Gear-Race-Tech-Seat-Harness-L.php

this is the one i've been using for decades. wave sailors think i'm crazy for using a seat harness, but i prefer it. i can sailing longer and stronger directing more of the sail's energy to the longest and strongest muscles in my carcass. http://www.progressivesports.com/I-54532-Epic-Gear-Slalom-Tech-Seat-Harness-M.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
windrockwater

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 6'-5" and 215lbs. Long ago i switched from my seat harness to a waist harness. I got tired of being catapulted! With my long torso and the boom up at shoulder height, my harness lines used to be long with a seat harness. And crashes would literally catapult me. It was scary.

I switched to a DaKine kitesurfing harness and LOVE IT. The bar does slide left and right which is annoying. But i still love the harness.

here is a pic.

kiteharness.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.05 KB
 Viewed:  10816 Time(s)

kiteharness.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: