myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hip Replacement - harness/footstraps/safety
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woowoo1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Hip Replacement - harness/footstraps/safety Reply with quote

So at the ripe old age of 46 I am having both my hips replaced this month. I have windsurfed the last eight years - 20-30 times per season. My orthopedist has told me to take a few months off and maintain posterior hip precautions. Two weeks out from left hip, I feel great. My question is - any advice on getting back on the water? I am young - relatively speaking, very active ,healthy and in pretty good shape - 6'3"; 200lbs.year. I am probably an advanced novice - able to get in to straps, using seat harness, water starting about 30%. Hoping to get on the water in July. Any advice from those of you have had hip replacements - not caling you old! Would I be better with a waist harness? Should I avoid straps for the season? Thanks.
dpruner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your straps, use dakine supremos. They give a bunch more than webed straps and the supremos will break before you do. I rip them all the time which is a good and bad thing;)
outcast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

July is a reasonable goal.
Do ALL the rehab!.... and squats/ running /stretching/biking
Don't change your harness or sailing style...but really you are better off with a waist harness anyway and the Dakines staps are good
Do some swimming for confidence in the water

If I had to have my hips done, I would treat myself afterwards....maybe a nice week in shallow warm water with good wind.....Hmmmm (Hatteras!)

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're also asking surgeons and sports medicine physical therapists, especially ones that WS or have seen it up close. Even then we must be careful, as I've gotten some truly uninformed answers even from PTs and surgeons regarding getting back on the water after extensive knee damage and surgery. The surgeon and PT I trust most said NO FOOTSTRAPS THIS SEASON, so with their blessing I bought a windSUP (no footstraps) expressly so I could sail this summer without the added twisting threat footstraps pose. I don't know what most threatens new hips, but my buds who WS with artificial hips say their biggest concern/warning is deep hip flexion when water starting.

Mike \m/
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke my perfectly good hip in January 2009 skiing. I opted for a hip replacement because self employed people can't lay around the house for months licking their wounds like others can. I have a Stryker ceramic hip, which I would stay the heck away from if you have the option. It squeaks like a rusty door hinge when my hip gets tight, from activities like WSing. Be prepared to a life of stretching constantly or always feel tight and fatigued when you don't. The best physio for that is swimming breast stroke, when I feel like everything is tight I swim or stretch and I'm good as gold after.

So broke mine in January and first time WSing was late July in 4.2 conditions and we are about the same size. 6 ft. / 195 lbs. and 49 (now) and two years later I landed my first and only back loop. Keep in mind I'm nuts and still thought I was 18 at the time, plus I have Canadian health care system behind me.

I won't lie to you though, the surgery is a bitch! I felt like someone had a football game inside of me, and their stupid cocktail of morphine and iron made me feel like death. I rejected all of that pretty quick. Cool part though is you'll be trying to take your first real steps in 5 weeks. In the beginning you'll be paranoid about the joint dislocating but that will go with time because that is rare to impossible in healthy, strong, and active people with good muscle. Also, you'll never cross your legs again.

Hands down best advice is get in the pool as soon as you can. It will just make you feel human again to be able to do SOMETHING. Swimming is the miracle exercise, and windsurfing was my prime motivation, as it has always been after my multiple injuries, to get better or better than better.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have to laugh a bit about this thread.
I guess this is where windsurfing is going.
Talking about hip replacements and I guess colonoscopies would be a thread we should expect in the near future. Ha Ha it's all good. Wink

winddave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that your biggest danger is getting catapulted with your foot deep in the foot strap. Did you have an anterior approach or posterior? The anterior approach is not nearly as traumatic to your muscles. Do your rehab religiously--your muscles will tighten up around the prosthesis over time and help to hold the joint together--this takes time. No foot straps this season might be a good idea. I would wear booties that slide easily in and out of the foot straps once you do go back to them.
woowoo1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice. I actually had my left hip done 4/9 and am scheduled to have the right tomorrow. I was tight after the left hip but after 5-6 days was walking without a cane or crutches. Can not say enough great things about New England Baptist Hospital. I have hip dysplasia and it just started affecting me about 2 years ago. I actually skied/raced up until 3 days before surgery. I just had trouble walking back to the car!
I have asked the surgeon and my sports pt but they really do not know the real physical stressors of windsurfing. I think I will error on the side of caution - not go out over-powered and slowly get back into straps.
Planning to get on a stationary bike in a few weeks - ok with pt and surgeon. Swimming is a great idea - for conditioning, stretching and safety sake. Outcast why do you recommend a waist harness more than a seat? Tried a wickedly old gastra waist harness the first time - about 7 years ago - and it was disastrous. Bruised ribs. I will see if I can borrow or rent one and give it a shot. I am usually sailing a 5.5-7.5 and have previously not done any wave sailing. However last year the seat harness I noticed put significant pressure on my hips so I'm thinking a waist harness may be worth trying..
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harness style choice is purely personal for most recreational sailing, even at very advanced levels. Your hips may or may not be your primary harness choice driver.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Talking about hip replacements and I guess colonoscopies would be a thread we should expect in the near future."

Very true - and for what it's worth, it is possible to sail later in the day after your early morning colonoscopy as long as your head is clear from the anastesia!

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: