myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
FreedomPop/Sprint coverage in East Bay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andydavis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: FreedomPop/Sprint coverage in East Bay Reply with quote

I'm thinking I'm the only person without a smart phone to check wind speeds. I currently have a dumb phone I pay $5/a month for that does nothing.

Apparently FreedomPop:
http://www.freedompop.com/phone
has a basic service (once you buy a phone) that is free and includes 500MB of data a month. They rely on the "freemium" concept (i.e., you will pay for more) Questions are:

- How much actual data is that? Go to this website and check the wind speeds once for ~one minute...how much data do you suppose that represents?

- What is Sprint coverage like down at Marina Bay, PI, Berkeley, the Bay bridge?
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you aren't Andy.

I'm resisting until there's an app that will accurately predict winds for next 1.5 hours. So far my handheld rotameter works just about as well - but only for the location I'm already at of course. However, very seldom am I tempted to bail for another location - NLWTFW after all......

Cheers, David
andydavis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered one...so now you're the last! I answered the first question anyway..looks like the average data/page view is ~500KB, which means you could check the wind 1000 times a month for free.
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can check the wind a million times a month for free, no batteries required, and no monthly fee. Neither approach will help me rig correctly if I don't further evaluate the situation based on all sensory data available, and then take a wild guess anyway.....

Signed, The Windsurfing Luddite
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: