myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rig Control on the Edge SDM or RDM?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you've answered your own question then.

I like RDMs up to about 6.6, then I find them 'noodly, scary
and unstable when overpowered and difficult to plan up on"

There were a bunch of repies about the right sail for with
the right mast. Maybe they're making 490 and 520 RDMs now,
but I don't think any sail makers are recommending them in their 8-10M sails.

-Craig

Suba-rude wrote:
I find RDMs noodly, scary and unstable when overpowered and difficult to plan up on.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Seems like you've answered your own question then.

I like RDMs up to about 6.6, then I find them 'noodly, scary
and unstable when overpowered and difficult to plan up on"

There were a bunch of repies about the right sail for with
the right mast. Maybe they're making 490 and 520 RDMs now,
but I don't think any sail makers are recommending them in their 8-10M sails.

-Craig

Suba-rude wrote:
I find RDMs noodly, scary and unstable when overpowered and difficult to plan up on.

One of our local heavy sailors (109kg) uses a HSM GPS 9.x on his 490 ezzy rdm. Seems to work great for him!

kirk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: RDM vs SDM Reply with quote

I agree with Mike/Iso except I put "not breaking" as #1 since I'm often sailing 3 to 4 miles from shore while I don't think the Gorge gets that wide but he may sail that far from shore in Baja...

I've only sailed my new 5.6 and 6.6 Huckers so far with the RDM Sailworks/NoLimitz Twill/5.6 and RDM NoLimitz FAST/6.6 combination as recommended by Sailworks and WOW do I like how they handle. I had a hard time believing how much control I had with high 20 MPH wind gusts with average in low 20s using the 6.6 when I came in and checked the wind.... easily 5.6 wind range and I was fine.

I have RDM Sumo's for 4.5 Retro and 4.8 Hucker but haven't sailed either yet....

BTW, I'm 220# and we (Rebecca at Boardsports and I) checked with Bruce Pederson at Sailworks before buying masts to make sure I had the right mast for the sails. I believe the mast for the 6.6 wasn't yet recommended on their website when I got it. but after sailing just a few times, I'm really impressed.

I used a different 460 RDM mast with a 6.5 Sailworks Retro the last couple of years (before it was all stolen this winter) and Bruce (at Sailworks) wasn't really happy with that choice but I wanted Bomb Proof as I often break stuff on my 6.5. Maybe that is why he designed the newer sails and RDM masts to work well together as many others wanted the same. Of course, all along he said the Huckers have more top end but I have to think using them with the right mast helps get it.

isobars wrote:
My mast criteria include:
1. Use what the sail was designed for.
2. Use something that's not going to break.
3. Use what gives me a very wide, stable range of power and speed in my sails (see # 1). *I* get overpowered before my masts do, and I enjoy sailing a 6.2 when most people my size are enjoying 5.2s and many are rigging 4.7s.

For me, that means NoLimitz Skinny Sumos from 3.7 to 6.2, a 1 kilogram RDM 100% Gulftech carbon 340 for my 3.2. I MIGHT go to a NoLimitz F.A.S.T. for my 7.0 if I need more responsive pumping.

http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: