myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Beginner in PEI. Help needed!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristan0cl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing Beginner in PEI. Help needed! Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm moving to PEI for a minimum of 4 years and will be getting a pretty good salary so I figured I'd finally have the chance to pick up windsurfing given that I am no longer a poor student.

I was wondering if anyone in PEI would be kind enough to take me out a couple of times and show me the ropes. I have done extensive research on gear and have looked at many sizing charts. I am in the process of shopping for a board and maybe two rigs to get me started. I am thinking about getting the starboard GO.

As a 180lbs person with no experience in the sport I imagine I need something like a wide board in the 160-200L range.

Any tips, suggestions, questions and comments on my current endeavours would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing Beginner in PEI. Help needed! Reply with quote

Good for you Tristan!

A Go, if you can afford it is an excellent choice. You should couple
that with a 5.5 sail, and a 7.5 sail, and you'll be good for the 1st year of learning. I think you'll want a cold water wetsuit also.

I do not know what the wave situation is around PEI, but, if you plan to get
into waves, you might consider buying a Kona One (I think they're marketed through Exocet now) or something similar.
It won't be as easy to learn on, but it is a learnable platform, and it will
be usable in light wind waves during your second year, and can be SUPed
in a pinch.

You might consider an investment in lessons, if there are any around the Island.

You'll get a plethora of replies here for reference, so wait for some more,
see what pops up.

-Craig

tristan0cl wrote:
Hi,

I'm moving to PEI for a minimum of 4 years and will be getting a pretty good salary so I figured I'd finally have the chance to pick up windsurfing given that I am no longer a poor student.

I was wondering if anyone in PEI would be kind enough to take me out a couple of times and show me the ropes. I have done extensive research on gear and have looked at many sizing charts. I am in the process of shopping for a board and maybe two rigs to get me started. I am thinking about getting the starboard GO.

As a 180lbs person with no experience in the sport I imagine I need something like a wide board in the 160-200L range.

Any tips, suggestions, questions and comments on my current endeavours would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on the right track, but next to -- a very close second to -- a board and a sail are professional lessons. "Somebody showing you the ropes" is a recipe for extremely slow progress and bad habits; pro lessons (lessons from a professional instructor) will guard against both of those problems.

If you can't find any real lessons, buy some instructional videos. They will be worth whatever they cost and more.

Google windsurfing lessons PEI. We Yanks think of the North Atlantic as cold, so I was surprised at the promising hits I got.

Mike \m/
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i met up with a really good friendly crew in Summerside last year, 7-8 really avid sailors. mostly sail from in front of one of the guys houses right across the harbour from summerside, flat water speed sailing and some pretty wicked chop.
a couple of them were beginners, and others were very good, and fast. so if youre in that area im sure youll be able to find them.
the water on the northumberland straight warms up pretty quickly. north shore never gets warm.

tristan0cl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Craig!

The wave situation in PEI, as far as I know, is minimal unfortunately. I believe I'll be sailing on flat water most of my days. I am interested in SUPing given that I'd like to be on some kind of board almost every day this summer.

I'm not sure if SUPing a starboard GO is a viable option. I might just try and find an old used SUP board, the more it challenges my balance the better in my mind.

The closest surf shop is actually 3 hours away and two provinces down (Nova-Scotia, surf shop is called Kannon Beach) I've emailed them and so far they are being very helpful. I will without a doubt take some time to drive down for a lesson or two if I have no luck on the island.

Cheers mate!
tristan0cl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
You're on the right track, but next to -- a very close second to -- a board and a sail are professional lessons. "Somebody showing you the ropes" is a recipe for extremely slow progress and bad habits; pro lessons (lessons from a professional instructor) will guard against both of those problems.

If you can't find any real lessons, buy some instructional videos. They will be worth whatever they cost and more.

Google windsurfing lessons PEI. We Yanks think of the North Atlantic as cold, so I was surprised at the promising hits I got.

Mike \m/

Hahaha, well you're not wrong Mike. It gets pretty cold up here at times but I do plan on buying myself a 3/5 wetsuit with a hood and some booties, that should enable me to surf until late October I think.

As for lessons hell ya, I'll be getting some of those for sure! As I said, closest surf shop is about 3 hours away and I'm more than happy to take time off work and drive down for a lesson. I'm a big fan and a huge believer in technique. I am convinced that it will make my quest much easier.

Thanks for the advice Mike!
tristan0cl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I'll have to go hunt for some more sailor friends!
Thanks w8n4wind, I'll be sure to go check Summerside's harbour out!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristan0cl wrote:
I am interested in SUPing given that I'd like to be on some kind of board almost every day this summer.

I'm not sure if SUPing a starboard GO is a viable option. I might just try and find an old used SUP board, the more it challenges my balance the better in my mind.

Look for an old longboard windsurfer. Dirt cheap (under $100), great glide, and pretty decent SUP ... better than many early SUPs, according to some people. You can even adjust their dynamic stability by raising/lowering the daggerboard.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I can't think of a more miserable board than a GO to SUP.
You can do it, but there won't be any glide associated with it (for lake use).
That's just not what it is designed for. It's a great board to learn
flat water windsurfing with, and can still be plenty fun in flat water
when you get good, with the proper fin and sail. At 180 lbs, I think
you'll want the big one 171ltrs in the 2014 line, but If you can find
a used 180 ltr Go, that'd be a great choice. Some of the old Gos also
had a centerboard, not a bad option for your 1st 4 or 5 days learning,
but then not too useful.

A dedicated SUP is definitely better, but they don't come cheap, even the
used ones. Another possibility to consider is an old raceboard, like a Fanatic Megacat.
It would be tippy, but learnable, would be great for light wind
flat water blasting, could be SUPed in a pinch (pretty good glide),
and shouldn't cost you more than about $300 US.

Cheers and good luck to you.

-Craig

tristan0cl wrote:
Thanks Craig!

Cheers mate!
fox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan some trips to the Īles-de-la-Madeleine!

http://www.tourismeilesdelamadeleine.com/en/discover-the-islands/experiences/nature/windsurfing/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: