myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
More anecdotal evidence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredparton wrote:
Are you all smoking dope or something? The reason windsurfing is less popular is because anyone with any sense simply takes up kiting! I windsurfed for many years prior to kiting. Windsurfing is amazing when there's the perfect match of gear, wind and waves. But that's too uncommon. I get the same stoke from kiting on 5-10x the days per year. Also, my wife will kite but she'll have nothing to do with the physical demands of windsurfing. Also, taught my kids to kite in 2 days. And gear- can load the prius up and roll to the launch with the whole fam. Wake up people! You're ignoring the obvious. When windsurfing can advance out of the dark ages, I'm back in. Until then, I'll be shredding on all those 10-15mph days while y'all watch from the beach thinking about why windsurfing is in the dulldrums.

Glad it works for you. I live in paradise and windsurfers outnumber kiters on the South Shore. Yesterday I wave sailed in <10 knots with 1 other windsurfer. I saw 1 kiter off Kahala, but he didn't last long.
doucet

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping it green....this vehicle is easy to park and runs on local vegetation

885884_725023437520679_1019899677051105633_o.jpg
 Description:
This is the way to go
 Filesize:  319.42 KB
 Viewed:  11566 Time(s)

885884_725023437520679_1019899677051105633_o.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but its emissions are off the charts.
SDinPVB

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Be part of the solution...(you may be part of the problem) Reply with quote

I rarely post anywhere, but keep up decently with things in this sport, especially how things look for the future. In the US, you are right about the sport losing sailors and numbers declining, but it depends upon where you look. At your local launch, I bet you may see a few guys out, that's it. If you were in a few key places around the country, though, you would see dozens of kids out. The Techno and RSX classes of windsurfing in the US are doing reasonably well, all things considered, though we're outnumbered internationally in a big way. So, why not do something to help the sport's future by joining USWindsurfing? I wonder how many of you are regular members...Have any of you seen a Techno or RSX race? Volunteered to help out? Instead of focusing on your niche, try helping other niches that are grooming the next generation. Those kids will continue to windsurf but we need a sustainable system. Also make some plans to attend an event. Sure is encouraging to see a bunch of kids stoked about the sport and often better than you at tender young ages! Oh, and wouldn't hurt for some of you guys to join the Kona class, even if it's just for an event and to ride a charter, at least. It's the largest class of windsurfing in the world...NOT in decline! In summary, you can see this is a glass half full or half empty. I choose half full.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
Wow, this thread cannot be killed by any method known to man......

I think it's just wierd how windsurfing gear is SOOOOOO much better now, and with all the new freestyle stuff going on, that there's SOOOOOO much more cool stuff to do and learn, plus there are vacation destinations for windsurfing, and clinics year round, more rental in those places, and you can even get lessons! All stuff that wasn't around 20 years ago, yet.....the sport declines. Why God????.....WHYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyy!!!!!!

As much as we'd like, we cannot place the entire blame on kiting and Republicans.

Maybe we can get OblameA to hand out windsurfing stamps for boards, and ebt cards for new sails. Might as well give people something to do while they wait for a JOB!!!!
danothemano

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't windsurf anywhere near as much as I used to, but it's due to the fact that for the last 10 years or so the wind (in NE) is getting worse and worse. That's why so many kooks bagged it and started kiteboring. But they don't get any more good days than the bloody pole boarders.

I have pals from SF that tried to WS in NE and they can't even believe anyone bothers to buy equipment. "It's always a bad year for wind in NE." They usually get 200 days a year!

If it was this bad in the 90's I would never have gotten hooked on WSing...I should have moved to SF before I started a family. I always planned to retire down the cape someday but screw that.
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amarie's point is really spot-on. In the 80's windsurfing really was considered a simple, carefree version of traditional sailing. It's only really "cumbersome" if you look at it compared to something with less lines, gear, and components, like for example, running (where you generally need at least shoes, and hopefully shorts.)

amarie wrote:
I can relate to this--the last few times my mast has gotten stuck together after wave sailing, I've had to enlist kiters for pulling help (and explain to them what to do), since no other windsurfers were there.

For me, the choice to do and stick with this sport is based on perspective. I came from a youth/high school/collegiate sailing background and needed an outlet for water sports after college. People tell me windsurfing is cumbersome and equipment-intensive. If I were looking for a replacement for, say, running or even cycling, I might agree. But when replacing the maintenance, expense, and logistical issues of an entire boat and coordinating schedules with a crew, believe me, windsurfing feels pretty carefree and portable. Not to mention faster and more fun. And if there's no wind, I do other sports--mountain biking, cycling, free diving, running, etc.

People wishing to recruit new windsurfers may benefit from recruiting from sports even more cumbersome and expensive. I say this only partially tongue in cheek. Smile
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danothemano wrote:
I don't windsurf anywhere near as much as I used to, but it's due to the fact that for the last 10 years or so the wind (in NE) is getting worse and worse. That's why so many kooks bagged it and started kiteboring. But they don't get any more good days than the bloody pole boarders.

I have pals from SF that tried to WS in NE and they can't even believe anyone bothers to buy equipment. "It's always a bad year for wind in NE." They usually get 200 days a year!

If it was this bad in the 90's I would never have gotten hooked on WSing...I should have moved to SF before I started a family. I always planned to retire down the cape someday but screw that.

We get plenty of wind, you just have to be have the flexibility to chase it down , and be willing to ride when its cold.

That's why I windsurf, kite, and supsurf, my window of opportunity is huge.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat-ty has it right. Do it all and get it all.
Kai Lenny style. Wink

isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geohaye wrote:
It's only really "cumbersome" if you look at it compared to something with less lines, gear, and components, like for example ...

Climbing Mount Everest or exploring the Marianas Trench. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: